News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is not just a Bulldogs problem it's an NRL problem, because the rare chance he wins, it could be the first of other similar types of lawsuits.. heck why not sue the clubs for taking players to army camps and claiming you were humiliated by the trainers there.
yep this is where the nrl should of stepped in already regardless if they like us as a club or not. Big fail on their part, also RLPA as well

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We don’t know the specifics, but were told he was being supported by the club after going on mental health leave. It will be interesting what specifically the club did to support his mental health, because if it comes out that they did what would be appropriate and expected, then I imagine his case will be harder to win.
Our players are expected to wrestle over 40 times a match every week under intense pressure of failure. If being asked to wrestle 32 players in preparation for that task exasperated mental health then we have a duty of care to stand him aside.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hate the mental health angle being thrown out there. As someone who has had a close family member spend months in a mental hospital and seeing first hand how horrible those places are and what people with real mental illnesses like schizophrenia have to deal with, I take offence to a footy player who claims to be depressed because they couldn't handle the rigours of FG training.

If anything, having Topine's name connected to this case and the limelight and abuse he would cop from the media, fans and public for making such accusations would be way worse for his mental health than any punishment the club handed out during training sessions.

I hate that people in today's society play the mental health card when so many people with real issues suffer every day.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hate the mental health angle being thrown out there. As someone who has had a close family member spend months in a mental hospital and seeing first hand how horrible those places are and what people with real mental illnesses like schizophrenia have to deal with, I take offence to a footy player who claims to be depressed because they couldn't handle the rigours of FG training.

If anything, having Topine's name connected to this case and the limelight and abuse he would cop from the media, fans and public for making such accusations would be way worse for his mental health than any punishment the club handed out during training sessions.

I hate that people in today's society play the mental health card when so many people with real issues suffer every day.
The Murdoch media will tear strips off him. I can't see how he, or those family members offering support, could possibly think that this is the best course of action for him. Every event or evidence presented by him, and the club, in it's defence of the charges, will be maliciously turned into sensationalist salacious lies by Buzz and the Murdoch gang of henchmen.

I do fear for him after he's been chewed up and spat out by the Murdoch media. Recent topical events are testiment to that being the outcome :(

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is it. Or the club uses the boot camp training as evidence of the sort of toughness they require. It’s obviously not military, but it would be the same as a private suing the army for training or punishment being too tough. I’m sure that’s happened in the past.

Being told to wrestle many guys doesn’t seem to me to be corporal punishment or humiliation. That would be the sort of things they do to inmates or suspects in “renditions“ or like what happened at Abu Graib. Waterboarding, forcing to be naked and stuff like that. Forced to wrestle, where the only coercive aspect is you will probably not be picked and re-signed if you disobey, it far from those things.
Bastardisation is the issue there. Well considered history in court. Were the actions of the coach sufficient to isolate and bastardise the player… reasonable intention to bastardise… I don’t think so. Intention was to set standards.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Next minute, all the contestants of the Australian reality TV show "The biggest loser" sue Shine Australia and network 10 for over the top hard training program to make them lose weight.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hope the weak **** doesn’t live within 600km of belmore he’ll be belted on the streets
This is exactly why Gus chose Ciraldo.
Yeah I would be running too if he gets spotted not a good look all
The Bankstown Canterbury boys belmore boys

I would move to a different area

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I can agree with you on this but what would the next thing be?

During a game the team is down to 13 players (4 are injured and cannot come on) the players play 20/30 minutes no substitute... One player claims he was so exhausted and couldn't come off his mental health was effected and sue the NRL or Club or both?

When would it stop? Let's hope this is settled or the court shows common sense and see this as a money hungry exercise!
This is the tricky part. As far as I’m concerned, unless there were previously known about conditions then the club is treating the players the same. I don’t know that for a fact but let’s assume. Now if this incident was the first time Jackson had mental distress, then as long as the club support him and offer professional help, what more can be done? The actual “punishment“ will be analysed, but as has been mentioned a lot, will it differ much from other difficult training methods?

It’s an unusual situation because part of NRL players’ jobs is going beyond the normal level of fatigue etc. I’ve worked a tough labouring job, lifting and dragging heavy loads in up to 45c heat, but I could take a break when I was buggered. When you’re in the middle of an NRL match, you can’t generally do that. I watch Curran and Kikau and wonder how tf they can handle it, but handle it they do and they still perform at a high level. They’re the examples to say, this is the level that an elite NRL player must reach and maintain. Look at some of the efforts in origin matches!

NRL and professional sport in general is an unusually highly demanding career. Duty of care etc is still required of course, but one of the key factors is having the mental fortitude to handle it, so if this actually does go to court (which I doubt) it would be interesting how they view it.

We also should remember there’s some other similar player welfare issues ongoing, e.g: Keith Titmuss’ passing, after gruelling training in excessive heat.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Now this is were they were talking about on nrl 360 lawyers getting involved in the game
Due to
Hias and so forth this is not going to be the first time
We hear of a player suing a club

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Murdoch media will tear strips off him. I can't see how he, or those family members offering support, could possibly think that this is the best course of action for him. Every event or evidence presented by him, and the club, in it's defence of the charges, will be maliciously turned into sensationalist salacious lies by Buzz and the Murdoch gang of henchmen.

I do fear for him after he's been chewed up and spat out by the Murdoch media. Recent topical events are testiment to that being the outcome :(
I'm sure Buzz will hammer the Bulldogs, Gus etc like usual. Maybe some of the other 360/Fox Sports people will be more reasonable but for the most part because it's a legal issue and mental health has been thrown out there, I doubt they truly express how they really feel.. Either way this doesn't help Topine now or in the future in regards to both his mental health or his career.

I doubt they get anything more than a small payout for whatever his contract was worth. Asking for $4 million is madness.

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is the tricky part. As far as I’m concerned, unless there were previously known about conditions then the club is treating the players the same. I don’t know that for a fact but let’s assume. Now if this incident was the first time Jackson had mental distress, then as long as the club support him and offer professional help, what more can be done? The actual “punishment“ will be analysed, but as has been mentioned a lot, will it differ much from other difficult training methods?

It’s an unusual situation because part of NRL players’ jobs is going beyond the normal level of fatigue etc. I’ve worked a tough labouring job, lifting and dragging heavy loads in up to 45c heat, but I could take a break when I was buggered. When you’re in the middle of an NRL match, you can’t generally do that. I watch Curran and Kikau and wonder how tf they can handle it, but handle it they do and they still perform at a high level. They’re the examples to say, this is the level that an elite NRL player must reach and maintain. Look at some of the efforts in origin matches!

NRL and professional sport in general is an unusually highly demanding career. Duty of care etc is still required of course, but one of the key factors is having the mental fortitude to handle it, so if this actually does go to court (which I doubt) it would be interesting how they view it.

We also should remember there’s some other similar player welfare issues ongoing, e.g: Keith Titmuss’ passing, after gruelling training in excessive heat.
Very much true there

Johnnny2233

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm sure Buzz will hammer the Bulldogs, Gus etc like usual. Maybe some of the other 360/Fox Sports people will be more reasonable but for the most part because it's a legal issue and mental health has been thrown out there, I doubt they truly express how they really feel.. Either way this doesn't help Topine now or in the future in regards to both his mental health or his career.

I doubt they get anything more than a small payout for whatever his contract was worth. Asking for $4 million is madness.
More like 400k

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Talking about non contact tackle practice too at training to lessen repeat head knock opportunities. Lot's happening.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The spirit amongst the guys is strong. Our guys know, and have the same realistic expectations as Gus and Ciro, of what it takes to get to the top from the dismal team we were for the past 10 years.

This won't derail us.
Our whole attitude has changed, weeding out out those with the wrong attitude has obviously helped immensely