News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His lawyers know we live in a time where 'mental health' is the latest buzz. If they can prove he was 'distraught' or asked for the wrestling to 'stop', then now plays the mental card / can't work etc, then we'll be in deep shit and likely lose.

End of the day, he's an employee and employee's have rights.

If he didn't ask to stop etc then i doubt he'll get anything.
Also i'm not having a dig at mental health, it's a real deal - i'm just highlighting how it's now something we talk about (which is obviously good).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He can stay away from the table. The media blitz is embarrassing for him not the club in the eyes of most fans. Only a few media clowns think this is even a story. It is rare on here that there is a unanimous view
Exactly right but the club have to deal with it one way or the other so let's get it out of the way and full steam ahead back to our Top 8 run.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I feel for the bloke if this has genuinely caused some level of mental health decline but, honestly, would this be happening if he'd been good enough to lock down a permanent FG spot? >.>

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sick of when people fuck up, “oh it’s mental health”. I know people have mental health issues. But to claim a mental and psychiatric injury from having to wrestle players. What about in an NRL game? Players always talk about going in to dark places to play some games there so physical. What a load of shit.

And wrestling 30-35 squad players. Hahahaha as if we had that many fit players in July last season. Ciraldo should be applauded for weaseling out the weak *****.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel for the bloke if this has genuinely caused some level of mental health decline but, honestly, would this be happening if he'd been good enough to lock down a permanent FG spot? >.>
Mate we've lost better human beings in the history of Rugby league to suicide who never battered an eyelid but put the Club first...Peter Jackson, Jason Sinclair.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
His lawyers know we live in a time where 'mental health' is the latest buzz. If they can prove he was 'distraught' or asked for the wrestling to 'stop', then now plays the mental card / can't work etc, then we'll be in deep shit and likely lose.

End of the day, he's an employee and employee's have rights.

If he didn't ask to stop etc then i doubt he'll get anything.
Yeah I can agree with you on this but what would the next thing be?

During a game the team is down to 13 players (4 are injured and cannot come on) the players play 20/30 minutes no substitute... One player claims he was so exhausted and couldn't come off his mental health was effected and sue the NRL or Club or both?

When would it stop? Let's hope this is settled or the court shows common sense and see this as a money hungry exercise!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With the Manly kid dying 35 players in a row could lead to a distressing physical condition. I can see why players were uncomfortable
Sure, but they were supposedly 30 second wrestles, so that's only 17.5 mins. How long does a player wrestle other players in a game??
I understand he would have felt humiliated, but I won't buy the story that it was corporal punishment, and that he suffered physically.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the people advising him are thinking of themselves and not Jackson. He came to a fork in the road where he could have cried like a baby or sucked it up like an adult. Good advice was all he needed! Even if he gets money it’s a very bad choice to chase victimhood like that.

Incidentally, The Australian also led the cheer squads for Roberts-Smith and Lerhmann.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jackson is getting horrid advice on this one. He and his legal team are obviously seeing the dollar signs and want to play this out in the press to pressure the club into a higher payout.

But this is not the legacy you want to have as a professional footballer. Expect to hear from all sorts of mental health experts and anonymous players that talk about how they feel sorry for him but when the dust settles on this, his mental health will take an even bigger hit because he’ll forever be seen as a money grabbing whinger. One that milked something that could’ve absolutely been dealt with inhouse for personal gain. $4 million is an absolute joke and he and his legal team should be embarrassed with that and some of the quotes in this article.
The only people who win in these situations are the lawyers. Provide advice and get paid whether they win,lose or draw.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can't see this going too far in court and Topine has destroyed any chance of getting picked up by another club through being a sook. Maybe the court should look into the millions of professional athletes in every sport who have ever had to do 10 push-ups or more as punishment. Who decides officially what's too much ? What court has the power to decide exactly the right level of punishment handed out during training in every single sport at every single level and age group. No court has that power. It's not like Topine was getting physically beaten. His false hope giving scum lawyer will gladly eat up every cent he has left from his days as a Dog
I doubt that this would be punishment for the first time Topine turned up late for training. I'm guessing that he was a serial offender.

I suppose that his lawyers have thrown big $$$ in front of his eyes, and said "the Bulldogs have deep pockets, and we'll get the Murdochs on side".

Lucky that he didn't go to any NSW school in the 1950s or 60s, or join the army cadets back in my day.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Unlikely that the lawyer will lose. There clearly isn't enough accountability policy in place given how many dodgy ones appear to be running around.
And have proclivity to extending matters as far as possible just to keep collecting fees!

Client calls lawyer and says ‘Can I ask you two questions?’ Lawyer: ‘Absolutely, what’s the second?’

No wonder it’s said the only way to stop a lawyer from drowning is to take your foot off their head :-).

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Under 12s soccer coach made me run 2 laps around the oval after training in absolutely pissing down rain because I was late one day. Wasn't even my fucking fault! The old man stopped for petrol on the way and bumped into an old mate. Maybe I should have sued him for deprivation of me liberties.
Last week whilst training my under 13's pathways soccer team I made them sprint through an extra set of shuttle runs because I caught some of them cheating in their final run.

Only trouble is I made all 13 of them do it so those cheating knew they let down the rest of the team down and those who did the right thing can start holding those looking for short cuts accountable.

13 x $4 million...... I'M SCREWED!!!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He was forced?At any point, did he stand up and say “I don’t want to do this any more!” If he didn’t, how are we to assume that he was suffering? Bullshit case from a little bitch.

And yeah, what they were saying about the Pacific Islanders… trying to call the sport out as racists.

What are the chances we can send O’Meley and Mason to “chat” with Jackson in a dim alleyway.

the problem is… our legal system is shit. The burden of proof often lies on the wrong party and as this whole case is about perception. Our world is turning soft and little whinging bitches like this always come out on top.

this !!!

Plus if this lawsuit is somehow is a successful one, NRL should get ready for plethora of similar lawsuits against all clubs from similar weak ass low quality players whose careers are almost finished.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the people advising him are thinking of themselves and not Jackson. He came to a fork in the road where he could have cried like a baby or sucked it up like an adult. Good advice was all he needed! Even if he gets money it’s a very bad choice to chase victimhood like that.

Incidentally, The Australian also led the cheer squads for Roberts-Smith and Lerhmann.
Buzz and Read now have their names on the article in DT as the writers. Murdoch gutter media.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I take back my concerns for Jackson that I posted recently, after discovering this. “Deprivation of liberty”? Give me a fkn break!

The punishment was extreme, sure. The army boot camp they did last preseason from what I’ve seen was worse. If it was that bad he could have easily just said I can’t handle this and left. To me he was found out to not be up to the standards the coach had set and now looking to get compo. Pitiful really.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Under 12s soccer coach made me run 2 laps around the oval after training in absolutely pissing down rain because I was late one day. Wasn't even my fucking fault! The old man stopped for petrol on the way and bumped into an old mate. Maybe I should have sued him for deprivation of me liberties.
Imagine the cases we’d have if this ever crossed our minds back then. Forget the club/coach, I’m suing my parents for keeping me from running amok!