News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone wants a free ride DOL easy to prove I would imagine it is only how about you feel. And then all about the potential earnings...

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is laughable. Absolute pussy.
I gotta say it’s unpleasant. And I’m not really sure how I would react myself… but to sue the club is pretty bad. Surely this could have been settled behind closed doors?

I also cannot see how this would be different in a “boot camp” setting for defense forces

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
More detail needed but seems a fairly weak case:

- ‘Unlawful corporal punishment’ - er, OK - is that what you call being smashed in the NRL?
- $4m damages - no chance, probably firing a shot across the bow to see what the club might quietly settle for (which would be a fraction of $4m).
- Likely trying to embarrass the club somewhat.
- No current player will want to speak unless they are subpoenaed, so Topine’s lawyers will likely approach former players such as RFM.
- Is there any CCTV for evidence?
- The big question that will be tested is how would Topine play 80min of NRL if he believes 30min wrestling is ‘unlawful’ or ‘harsh’? If this is about testing employment contracts well he was employed to play a contact sport. It’s not outside the bounds of the work.

Good luck to the kid but this smells like a bit of an ambulance chase and our improvement ‘24 v ‘23 shows that tough training is exactly how you get there.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's pretty disgraceful that it's come to this and they're making such bullshit allegations and blowing things out of proportion as much as possible to get some extra money.. There's no chance he gets anything close to what he's asking for..

The club gave Topine an opportunity and helped him develop through the grades for several years. For him to make these claims and go down this path is disappointing..

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jackson is getting horrid advice on this one. He and his legal team are obviously seeing the dollar signs and want to play this out in the press to pressure the club into a higher payout.

But this is not the legacy you want to have as a professional footballer. Expect to hear from all sorts of mental health experts and anonymous players that talk about how they feel sorry for him but when the dust settles on this, his mental health will take an even bigger hit because he’ll forever be seen as a money grabbing whinger. One that milked something that could’ve absolutely been dealt with inhouse for personal gain. $4 million is an absolute joke and he and his legal team should be embarrassed with that and some of the quotes in this article.

EL Hefe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's Funny how shit like this doesn't happen at Melbourne or Brisbane

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go get a real job you weak ****.

Let's see how much you'll cry then.
NRL players can learn about work ethics from 16 year old kids on minimal wage working in far more dangerous workplaces such as butcher shops and KFC kitchens. One slip in those work places and you can lose an arm, suffer serious burns and some have died.