Opinion Reed Mahoney

Son Of Dogzilla

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's not that good. Against a poor injury ravaged team like the knights, we should have won. But mahoneys been poor otherwise. Decision making out of dummy half has been bad, holds the ball for too long and overplays his hand. Need some pace out of dummy half, and quick service to forwards and halves
Is this why our points scored each week has dropped this year

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's not that good. Against a poor injury ravaged team like the knights, we should have won. But mahoneys been poor otherwise. Decision making out of dummy half has been bad, holds the ball for too long and overplays his hand. Need some pace out of dummy half, and quick service to forwards and halves
He set up two tries yesterday and was the reason we beat the roosters. Best 9 at our club by a mile

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reed needs to calm down a bit.. being a niggler is fine but not to the point of giving away penalties or getting himself binned
Being "a niggler" (thankful for auto-correct there :tonguewink:) implies you're in control and just putting the opposition off their game.
I don't think that applies to Reed. I think he is genuinely fired up and losing control.
Don't mind seeing him fired up. I prefer it to "just not giving a $#!t", but you have to maintain control, be smart, and use it to your advantage.
Maybe needs some coaching from Mick Ennis.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being "a niggler" (thankful for auto-correct there :tonguewink:) implies you're in control and just putting the opposition off their game.
I don't think that applies to Reed. I think he is genuinely fired up and losing control.
Don't mind seeing him fired up. I prefer it to "just not giving a $#!t", but you have to maintain control, be smart, and use it to your advantage.
Maybe needs some coaching from Mick Ennis.
yeah, generally he is smart about it it's just once in a while he takes it too far, which is something Ennis also used to do

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With Burto taking lead Mahoneys stopped overplaying his hand. Suppose it’s natural if your halves are doing fuck all you gotta try something.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hahahahha we clearly hold very different views, injury ravaged? no they wasnt hahahhaha. Mahoney has been one of our best all season, 3 assists in that game also by the way
It's telling that the bloke we dumped, jmk, is now carving up for the dolphins under Benny. Not saying we need him back, but that style of hooker, fast out of dummy half and quick service, is the prototype

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's telling that the bloke we dumped, jmk, is now carving up for the dolphins under Benny. Not saying we need him back, but that style of hooker, fast out of dummy half and quick service, is the prototype
JMK has speed and a better running game, but his footy smarts are way behind Reed’s. JMK was not good at picking out defence weaknesses and overlaps etc and would often make the wrong decision or play the wrong way. His kicking game wasn’t great either. How good is it to have a hooker with a nice kicking game (I think Reed already has 3 or 4 40/20’s)

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK has speed and a better running game, but his footy smarts are way behind Reed’s. JMK was not good at picking out defence weaknesses and overlaps etc and would often make the wrong decision or play the wrong way. His kicking game wasn’t great either. How good is it to have a hooker with a nice kicking game (I think Reed already has 3 or 4 40/20’s)
Agreed. Reed has something between the ears, the kick for Hayward was pretty much exploiting ponga’s injury. He doesn’t have the craftiness of Api, but I reckon he’s just a step behind grant in terms of footy iq. Think he’s destined for origin in the next few years. Prefer him over jmk, where jmk is more the mould of an Isaac Luke, so there’s nothing wrong with that. We need a mahoney style hooker as opposed to jmk

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahoney a much better 9 than JMK, JMK good running game, thats about it

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ffs your on another planet

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon jmk misses less tackles than mahoney. Mahoney over-reads plays and overplays his hand frequently. Couple that with many poor attempts in defence. I honestly believe we need to find another hooker more suited to the modern game.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon jmk misses less tackles than mahoney. Mahoney over-reads plays and overplays his hand frequently. Couple that with many poor attempts in defence. I honestly believe we need to find another hooker more suited to the modern game.
If we were still in 2023 I would agree with a lot of what you are saying. Reed was underwhelming for my thoughts last season but this season he has been one of the best hookers on the game. Indeed one of our best and most consistent players. His defence has improved out of site and is work rate is huge. I’m not sure what game you’re watching?

I would still love to see him get a 15-20 minute rest to be at his absolute best but he is playing great football this season for mine.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we were still in 2023 I would agree with a lot of what you are saying. Reed was underwhelming for my thoughts last season but this season he has been one of the best hookers on the game. Indeed one of our best and most consistent players. His defence has improved out of site and is work rate is huge. I’m not sure what game you’re watching?

I would still love to see him get a 15-20 minute rest to be at his absolute best but he is playing great football this season for mine.
To get to the top level, you need blokes like Harry Grant or Api. That's the point.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To get to the top level, you need blokes like Harry Grant or Api. That's the point.
on this years form I wouldn’t swap him for either of them. His on way leas than both of them.
He is basically on half the wage of Grant and playing better. API is playing well to start the year but so is Reed. You are a hard one to please if you are looking at Reed as a problem on this years form.

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You are VASTLY underestimating Mahoney's contribution to our defense. JMK may miss fewer tackles but only because he doesn't even come close to attempting as many tackles as Mahoney. Mahoney is everywhere and in everything.

Dolphins also have the softest draw in the league this year and the start of the year has been especially soft, so I wouldn't read too much into their performance. They've only managed to beat Tits, Tigers, Eels and Dragons.

JMK
1714035095812.png

Mahoney
1714035177625.png

Last edited: