News ‘Super sub’: Cameron Ciraldo explains why Connor Tracey won the fullback spot and how he plans on unleashing Blake Taaffe

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cameron Ciraldo may have finally found his ideal back five, but a young star lurking on the bench could be his most dangerous weapon going forward.

Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo has backed Blake Taaffe to come off the bench as Canterbury’s “super sub” against the Knights, with Connor Tracey set to remain in the No.1 jersey following a strong performance against the Storm.
The fullback jersey belonged to Taaffe in the opening five rounds, but he missed the trip to Melbourne after he was concussed in the win over the Roosters when he was on the receiving end of an ugly high tackle by Dom Young that resulted in him being sent off.
Taaffe returns this weekend off the bench for the game against Newcastle, with his coach expecting big things from the versatile recruit who can fill a number of positions if someone gets injured or can come on in the middle and prey on exhausted forwards.

“It’s a nice insurance policy to have Blake on the bench as a backup if we do lose one of our outside backs, which has happened a number of times this year,” Ciraldo said.

“In the modern game with HIAs, it’s probably important that you have someone like that.

“I still think he can create something in the last part of the game. He can get on and play that super sub sort of role anywhere, and he’s open to that.

“If you’re a tired defensive line, you wouldn’t want to see Blake Taaffe coming off the bench fresh on the field.”

Canterbury’s back five has chopped and changed this season, but Ciraldo may have found his best combination with Tracey safe under the high ball, Josh Addo-Carr’s speed a nightmare for opponents, Jacob Kiraz making metres for fun, and his centres able to create something out of nothing.

But it was Tracey’s performance in Melbourne that caught Ciraldo’s eye, with the former Shark handling everything the Storm’s representative halves kicked his way.

“Every time the ball went up, he just looked comfortable under the high ball,” he said.

“He brings the ball back with plenty of purpose and gets our sets started.

“Blake was doing a good job at the start of the year, but Connor deserves to be in that position this week and moving forward.

“The good thing is that it’s nice for a coach to have headaches like that and selection dilemmas.”

Tracey may have been named on the wing last week, but he knew in advance where he’d be playing at AAMI Park, with fullback nothing new to a man who started plenty of games there last year, including in the finals.

“I played there all last year, so I’m pretty comfortable there,” he said.

“I like wing as well, and I like playing wherever the team needs me.

“It’s no secret that I have a running game, so I’m one of those workrate fullbacks and I’m just working on the other parts of my game as well.

“I like getting involved and helping the team, play off quick play the balls and pop up everywhere.”

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Happy that Tracey has finally nailed down the spot, let's just hope he gets to play there in attack too. Not keen on this super sub BS with Taaffe though, doesn't offer enough versatility to cover the backs. Either look to play him in the halves or not at all.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Taaffe can only play fullback. I can't see him handling wing or centre.. Despite everyone calling for him in the halves, I don't think he could handle the defensive responsibility in FG. Playing there in juniors and playing there in the NRL are two very different things.

So if there is a backline injury, expect everyone else to reshuffle and Taaffe to go to fullback.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If the game situation is well in our favour I can see Blake coming into the game mid second half as the 7. It will give CC (and everyone else) a chance to see how he goes defensively with the advantage of going up against tired forwards and with a healthy lead.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think it might be a audition to see what he can create. If he cains it he might get a go in the halves. But thats more wishful thinking then anything :p

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taaffe can only play fullback. I can't see him handling wing or centre.. Despite everyone calling for him in the halves, I don't think he could handle the defensive responsibility in FG. Playing there in juniors and playing there in the NRL are two very different things.

So if there is a backline injury, expect everyone else to reshuffle and Taaffe to go to fullback.
Thats exactly it!
Tracey will move to cover whatever & Taaffe will go to FB as you say

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
My view is as a substitute Taaffe can play 1, 2, 5, 6 or 7, he's plenty fast enough to play wing, obviously can play fullback and 1/2 which is not a lot different to 5/8 anyway. If a centre gets injured Burton can step in there and Taaffe plays 5/8. That makes him pretty versatile and with HIA's in play a back on the bench is a solid idea.

Always a Bulldog

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel a bit sorry for Taaffe. He was playing good attacking football for us. He made some pretty nice impact on sweep plays. But for what it's worth I also think Wilson is very unlucky to be backup.

I'd be a bit cautious about having Taaffe and Hayward on the bench together.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've been screwed so many times over the past year with a winger or outside back going down causing a major reshuffle. With this rotation hopefully it's as simple as Tracey covering anything 1-7 and taafe to fb. Interestingly Brisbane have a similar bench this week with smoothy and sailor.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Taffee off the bench is insane with our pack

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We've been screwed so many times over the past year with a winger or outside back going down causing a major reshuffle. With this rotation hopefully it's as simple as Tracey covering anything 1-7 and taafe to fb. Interestingly Brisbane have a similar bench this week with smoothy and sailor.
Sailor has been impressive off the bench.