Opinion Top 8 watch: Next 7 weeks - chance to climb the ladder

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm expecting 2-3 wins from that lot. Knight, Tiger and Dragon 50/50. The other 2 a lot harder.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the old (tried and tested) cliche: "Let's take it one game at a time".

We need to approach ALL of these games with the same attitude (but hopefully with better execution) as the first six rounds.

If we don't, we'll be taking those "expected to wins" and turning them into "almost wins/proud losses".

We've done the gallant loss thing (at least twice this season) - we're all full up.

Time to start fulfilling the promise we've shown and start banking some competition points.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Although the team has been playing well, they've got to treat next week as win at all costs, because at the end of the day, we're equal second last and we can lose touch with the top 8 very quickly.

jake6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think we will be in games when we play teams that don’t have huge packs.
Storm and Souths have bog average packs. Knights play a power game and are big, I think we will struggle against them. Just opinion, hope it doesn’t happen

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vs Knights @ Accor
BYE
Vs Tigers @ Accor
Vs Penrith @Bluebet
Vs Raiders @ Suncorp
Vs Dragons @ Accor
Vs Knights @ Mcdonald Jones -major bye Round

Our schedule for the next 7 weeks is very good in my opinion. Knights likely without Ponga and have not been great this year, Tigers, Penrith (tough but without Nath potentially), Raiders, Saints and Knights.

If we play to our potential and Hutch is dropped we should be able to potentially win all those matches minus the Penrith one. Not getting ahead of myself, but it's our chance to go on a run for sure...
Four wins out of those seven is being more realistic.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we can get a 7 into the team to offer more attacking options, we could well be up to our necks in this thing for Top 8 this year :grinning:
Surprisingly our front row has held up really well, our backrow is a weapon, and injuries and rotations in the outside backs hasn't bothered us with our great depth. Even Burto is showing glimpses and starting to combine with the outside quality (his kicks are still a lottery). Still need more front rowers, but half is definitely priority. Hutch gives 100% effort but is addicted to show and go's at turtle speed and can't give early ball.

Hutch aside, the loss makes the performance bittersweet, but the intensity in our defence was our best for years. We were still smashing blokes in the last 10 minutes.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Surprisingly our front row has held up really well, our backrow is a weapon, and injuries and rotations in the outside backs hasn't bothered us with our great depth. Even Burto is showing glimpses and starting to combine with the outside quality (his kicks are still a lottery). Still need more front rowers, but half is definitely priority. Hutch gives 100% effort but is addicted to show and go's at turtle speed and can't give early ball.

Hutch aside, the loss makes the performance bittersweet, but the intensity in our defence was our best for years. We were still smashing blokes in the last 10 minutes.
Very proud, and excited, for the future. It was a tough loss but when you see the beginnings of this winning culture spread throughout th club: it's all good.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We would've been equal first on the ladder on 8 points if we defeated the Storm (we would've won if we didn't have a shit halfback) & the ref didn't gift the Rabbitohs the game.
Yes those 2 matches should have been Dogs wins. IMO blew good chances with both. Hopefully we learnt from that, how to close out matches. However what’s done is done. Need to look to matches ahead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we can get a 7 into the team to offer more attacking options, we could well be up to our necks in this thing for Top 8 this year :grinning:
Couldn’t agree more. Widely varying opinions on TK, but am also of the view that Taafe/Sexton are clearly better options than Hutch, until O’Neil is ready.
I also feel we need to get players like Suluka-Fifita, Tetevano, Hoffman consistently back on the field asap to bolster our forward pack given Patolo is having a bad injury run. Want to avoid same scenario as ‘23 where we ran King, Preston et al in to the ground, playing big minutes injured for much of the season with little back up.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Vs Knights @ Accor W
BYE
Vs Tigers @ Accor W
Vs Penrith @Bluebet L
Vs Raiders @ Suncorp W
Vs Dragons @ Accor W
Vs Knights @ Mcdonald Jones -major bye Round. W
Should hopefully be sitting on 16 points after Rd 13 and possibly in a group of teams around 8th(or there on our own).
I'd be a bit disappointed with even luck in those games if we aren't at least 14.
Also think we will give the Panthers a fair run though at home they are the yardstick still.

Juniorluke

Waterboy
Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more. Widely varying opinions on TK, but am also of the view that Taafe/Sexton are clearly better options than Hutch, until O’Neil is ready.
I also feel we need to get players like Suluka-Fifita, Tetevano, Hoffman consistently back on the field asap to bolster our forward pack given Patolo is having a bad injury run. Want to avoid same scenario as ‘23 where we ran King, Preston et al in to the ground, playing big minutes injured for much of the season with little back up.

King is only playing around 50 mins per game. That’s pretty standard for your starting prop. That work load shouldn’t drive him into the ground

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Vs Tigers @ Accor
Vs Penrith @Bluebet
Vs Raiders @ Suncorp
Vs Dragons @ Accor
Vs Knights @ Mcdonald Jones -major bye Round
Tigers - our effort has to be up there, tigers rely on the same thing. We match the effort our backline should get us over the line

Penrith - hope to fuck cleary is still out, if he has we have a real chance and fuck that will look good for Ciros 2nd year

Raiders - fogarty gone, we should get this one

Dragons - same as tigers, match the effort and our backline gets this

Newcastle - they'll want revenge but no ponga, just don't see what newcastle have in attack without him

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hate to go off early but I have a feeling that by mid season we will be considered a genuine title contender. Could be a special year
Every 10 years we make the grand final, last time was 2014

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I hate to go off early but I have a feeling that by mid season we will be considered a genuine title contender. Could be a special year
You hate to go off early but you will :tearsofjoy:

I think most of us will be happy if we stay competitive for the rest of the year. If we do that next year could be anything

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You hate to go off early but you will :tearsofjoy:

I think most of us will be happy if we stay competitive for the rest of the year. If we do that next year could be anything
We keep consistent this season, have strong performances should be the goal for this year

That way CC becomes a coach with a reputation, we look like a solid club and then all of a sudden we become an attractive club for any special players who come onto the market eg AFB

What we are currently known as is a basket case(although this is changing) and would deter the better players from coming to us