Protecting the Player and Duty of Care

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Its a collision in a collision sport. End of story. The people here going on about "duty of care" have never played the game at this level or speed so need to sit this one out.
No, this concerns the viewers, fans, NRL players semi pros and amateurs, sponsors (since they want the star players playing), etc. Note I have an agenda here since it affected last weeks game when I mentioned here or on youtube first and accidents happen and leeway needs to be given but the major blows need to be managed. NRL should try better with engagement across all levels with this sort of stuff too, find a nice balance for fans input towards the rules that come in and obviously get opinion from ex NRL players.

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Accidental that’s all it was , I’m 2 from 2 now
The head clash and the kiks try the NRL Is agreeing with me lol.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We are not applauding kamikaze blind side dog shots when a bloke steams in and jumps into a tackle... There is no place in this sport for it and it needs to go!

Who would want there kid to play a sport knowing one day he might get his skull crushed from a similiar hit..

RUB IT OUT! REWARD LEGS TACKLES FFS.
Good point. It comes to technique, 2 or 3 things when I'm thinking about it but mainly technique/approach.

Line speed- Teams and juniors are instructed to move up in defence a lot quicker pace then what we were used to couple decades ago. I wont say rush up because I'll cop frowns but almost all the defensive lines run into attackers in certain defensive situations. I don't care who you are, you'd lose technique and start tackling like NFL players doing that, it's not always happening but it happens. I'm not sure how to manage technique because a team does need to minimise the attackers gain but we can start by minimising unnecessary head clashes, this is where it's easiest to place the onus "duty of care" onto the defender.

Legs tackles/ lower tackles best way to handle that is reward the defender, "dominant tackle" if they don't want to do that, then stop calling six again for a clean legs/hip/waist tackle as it takes longer to get up square at marker. This can get iffy so better to just call it a dominant tackle (and hopefully get rid of six agains which is part of the issue but that's my agenda getting involved, I can't stand six agains)

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Interestingly, sounds outrageous but there are people that suffer less damage and can pretty much use their head as a tool to damage (I think Guinness world records has some head strength records).

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Completely agree, a decent legs tackle should be called dominant, plus any player lashing out after a legs tackle should be put on report and penalised.

Always a Bulldog
Yeah, I wrote that too just now. Good idea about the lashing out part. Or told to just get up. Refs shouldn't get too pedantic on everything, just let the game play out

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Accidental that’s all it was , I’m 2 from 2 now
The head clash and the kiks try the NRL Is agreeing with me lol.
Did we score 2 tries last weekend?

Damn - missed that. :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help me out here people …. so we have a so called accidental head clash in the first minutes of the game last week, lose a player for the rest of the match, not even a penalty, not even a boo mentioned about it ? ..

This week pretty much the same incident, same injury, with Panthers & Bronco’s, but now it’s a penalty and on report with fans even whinging he should have been charged and given a couple weeks ..

What am I missing here ?

Sent from my iPad using The Kennel mobile app