Opinion You can't win games by defence alone?

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I watch every week with total frustration at the lack of attacking options we have. Sure our defence has improved but when we get some ball we have no spark in attack. We need to be able to score points if we are going to win games.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watch every week with total frustration at the lack of attacking options we have. Sure our defence has improved but when we get some ball we have no spark in attack. We need to be able to score points if we are going to win games.
I will admit ive seen some minor improvement in our defensive structures but u are correct in ur assessment. Unless we are defensively sound enough to hold our opponents to 6 points or less every week then we wont be winning any games with our rudderless attack. By my count we have scored just 2 trys in 160 minutes of footy when the opposition has 13 men on the field. Not good enough. Im open to the following experiment:
1. Crichton
6. Burton
7. Sexton

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s the passing of the ball sideways in slow motion without any thought of trying to run to the line, engage with the defending team and try to create gaps etc or even the offloads are almost non existent…. Doesn’t matter how many players we sign, premiership winners etc… it’s like it’s built into the current DNA of the club that just ‘simply pass it along’ and hope for the best sums up our attack!

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
We have ample attacking options but don't make use of them.

Burton has no vision, you can see that in his kick selection and his inability to engage the line and then make the right pass at speed.

Hutchinson shows glimpses of arranging attacking plays but its max once or twice a game. He comes in and out of the game.

I can't see improvement coming from Burton, he has had 3 years to grow into the position and has failed. Hutchinson may improve as he learns our system but probably not signficantly.

Outside of biting the bullet and trying a new halves combo (utilising different non-traditional halves) we have little options. Its on Ciraldo to get the best out of our current halves combo and remaining spine. Mahoney is making 50+ tackles a game, he can't also be expected to carry the burden in attack.

Relying on throwing it to Kikau each play is going to get old fast.

Our attack just looks over-rehearsed and robotic, its slow and inneffective. I'm not convinced Ciraldo knows how to get it ticking over.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have ample attacking options but don't make use of them.

Burton has no vision, you can see that in his kick selection and his inability to engage the line and then make the right pass at speed.

Hutchinson shows glimpses of arranging attacking plays but its max once or twice a game. He comes in and out of the game.

I can't see improvement coming from Burton, he has had 3 years to grow into the position and has failed. Hutchinson may improve as he learns our system but probably not signficantly.

Outside of biting the bullet and trying a new halves combo (utilising different non-traditional halves) we have little options. Its on Ciraldo to get the best out of our current halves combo and remaining spine. Mahoney is making 50+ tackles a game, he can't also be expected to carry the burden in attack.

Relying on throwing it to Kikau each play is going to get old fast.

Our attack just looks over-rehearsed and robotic, its slow and inneffective. I'm not convinced Ciraldo knows how to get it ticking over.
I think Sexton has to come in.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I will admit ive seen some minor improvement in our defensive structures but u are correct in ur assessment. Unless we are defensively sound enough to hold our opponents to 6 points or less every week then we wont be winning any games with our rudderless attack. By my count we have scored just 2 trys in 160 minutes of footy when the opposition has 13 men on the field. Not good enough. Im open to the following experiment:
1. Crichton
6. Burton
7. Sexton
There was much talk of Crichton playing fb when he signed, but not much since. I wouldn't be adverse to Burton centre,Crichton to fb,Xerri to centre Kiraz to wing and Sexton to the halves.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is puzzling for me is, in the first trial against the Storm (i know they fielded a reserve grade team plus Papz) but our attacking structure and shape looked so different and so much better. Yes, the passes were off but it was the shape and intent that got my notice.
You had players like Taffe and even Hutchison that were digging deep into the line and passing creating space for the winger, especially on the right side.
Since that game, it has completely gone. It has reverted back to what was dished up in the previous seasons.
What has happened?
Burton gets the ball and passes 5 metres before the line to Kikau or Crichton and says you do something.
We have no creative ball players and there are no structures in place.
The question is, what are the coaching staff doing about it?
It really seems like they think there is no problem or they have no clue how to fix it.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've noticed that when shit hits the fan, we revert back to the one out flat shit. I don't know why it's never been coached out of the players? It's just like watching a bunch of Joe bidens playing footy and failing miserably.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of discussion on what we need. E.G. props, fullback, 1/2. Totally agree.
But the missing link is the absence of a playmaker. Nobody seems able to create anything.
If there is a game plan, no one adheres to it. No one is barking orders. Very few players are backing up the ball carrier.
Hence, the ballplayer is usually tackled as they cannot pass to a support. Lot of work to be done.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Cant really call 51 points against in 2 weeks good defence. But we have been good for 60 minutes a game there. Fading has caused some bad defence at the end of games so far.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much a new team, anyone with common sense about the game will tell you attack takes more than two weeks to get right.

Raff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good playmakers engage the front line and put players around then through gaps. Hutchinson tries to but hasnt executed yet. Burton played better this game but as a centre role, not playmaker.
Our defence is so much better than last year it's great to see. We just fatigue and buckle at the end of games given how much pressure we are facing because lack of attacking ball.