News Dogs of Poor - Dean Ritchie

Foxterrier

New Pup
Reaction score
Most coaches that lost last weekend said they were disappointed. Our coach was proud of the effort. Although that is nice to say, i'm concerned Cam is not paying attention to the game, like leaving Josh on for far too long after he was injured. He needs to get angry and start questioning ref's and get up the players.
Fact is we should have gotten Flano or Wayne
Yeah, spot on, we need a tried and true coach, not more rookies who are learning to coach while the Bulldogs play poorly. No excuses for coach Ciraldo, he is paid the dough, it's past time to show.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gee im glad this dimwit wrote a story stating we're light on for middles I didn't know this until just now.

What a fn ting tong.
Already wondering how many of these are members gonna post fmd.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For me this is the worst part of a loss, Muppets posting articles written by bigger muppets looking to kick the shit out of us while we are down.
Articles really get you emotional don’t they

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should’ve listened to the colourful circus identities: Fins lost (no Averillo), Panthers lost (no Alamoti) :tearsofjoy:.
I wish those players the best of luck Dink.
My main concern is our club and really hope there’s a big improvement throughout this season.
The lack of attack was keeping me at the bar if you know what I mean lol

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I wish those players the best of luck Dink.
My main concern is our club and really hope there’s a big improvement throughout this season.
The lack of attack was keeping me at the bar if you know what I mean lol
Of course mate, I don’t have any hard feelings toward either player but they would’ve made little difference to either their former or new clubs, yet the CCI’s kept saying we’d rue releasing them and neither made the 17 for Round 1 with their new club. Yes the lack of attack was disheartening and needs work obviously, but I’m not getting carried away just yet. Bottoms up!

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Cc is even half as good as himself and Gould say he is I am expecting some different selections and an upset victory to go with it this week.

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course mate, I don’t have any hard feelings toward either player but they would’ve made little difference to either their former or new clubs, yet the CCI’s kept saying we’d rue releasing them and neither made the 17 for Round 1 with their new club. Yes the lack of attack was disheartening and needs work obviously, but I’m not getting carried away just yet. Bottoms up!
Yeah that’s it round 1 is behind us let’s just hope for a good win on Friday night.
Correct mate those two players wouldn’t make a difference,let’s see where our season takes us.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Let’s see him write one about the dolphins now.
I’ll wait.
Or the Tigers where last year despite having what maybe a 5 million dollar pack with Klemmer, Utoikamanu, Twal and Pole as mids and a back row of Bateman, Papali'i, Ofahengaue, Seyfarth and Blore and they came stone motherless last in the comp. What happen there.

Imagine swapping the Tigers pack for the Dogs. Do you reckon our backs would become superstars lol. Evern Taaffe.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We've had 3 years of Gould to find one though.
The players that were available weren’t interested in coming to us. Most of them wanted to stay at there clubs.the days of us playing overs for players to come and milk money from us and not give a shit like Pangai are over.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The players that were available weren’t interested in coming to us. Most of them wanted to stay at there clubs.the days of us playing overs for players to come and milk money from us and not give a shit like Pangai are over.
It’s not just about paying overs, you can pay overs for a player who looks like they want to change the club like Critta. Pangai was a bad apple in Brisbane and was such a piss poor buy all round

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What Richie doesn't mention is that there were no good mids available and havn't been for a couple of years including whats available next year. Only 2 decent props changed clubs this season, Leniu and Flegler and I am glad we didn't get Leniu. There was lots of speculation with Haas, Tino and Twal but they all stayed put.

The rest of mids that changed clubs were either average or young and needed developing. Like Keppie, Aitasi James, Mikaele and Palasia who stayed in Qld. Baker was ok but not a top prop. So we had no choice hense Faamausili and chasing Taukeiaho and ending up with Tetevano as a stop gap and Suluka-Fifita for development.

Its going to be the same next year. AFB is going to the Sharks and theres only a couple of good top line props available like Hamlin-Uele who just resigned with the Sharks. Or maybe Hess or one of the Dragon mids available like Molo or De Belin but they are average. The rest once again are young and untried or fringe NRL players that are not going to change things just more Suttons. Maybe McClean could be OK.

So I can understand the Bulldogs having a large treasure chest of money and there not being top players available. It makes sense to get what good players are available at the time like when Tracy and Curran came available. Getting a cheap backup hooker, good players to fill gaps.

This is only the 2nd year of a 5 year plan and the way Richie is going on its as though we had to have built a top side year 2. If we ended up with top mids we would have been weaker in the backs and halves. It takes time and the best thing is that we have invested heavily in young players and development and thats where its going to make the difference to the culture and attitudes of the players.

I am glad we didn't get Leniu for the sake of a tough mid or pay overs for Blake. May is a big miss but there was too much baggage. I think there are plenty of young props out there. We perhaps should have went for the Fanui brothers but there are plenty of young talent out there especially in Qld. In fact we have around 4 Qld props in our Mid development programe.

So it looks like we will have to make our own which will be much better because a big part of why the Bulldogs were called the Dogs of War because it wasn't just size but a Bulldog heart and mentality that you can't buy.

Thats why I think getting Klemmer back would be so great because he's got a Bulldog heart and has the size and mongrel and would be good for him to come back like Reynolds to finish his career. In fact bugger it lets get Big Willie back on the field lol.

Last edited:

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s not just about paying overs, you can pay overs for a player who looks like they want to change the club like Critta. Pangai was a bad apple in Brisbane and was such a piss poor buy all round
Another Barrett dud buy!

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What Richie doesn't mention is that there were no good mids available and havn't been for a couple of years including whats available next year. Only 2 decent props changed clubs this season, Leniu and Flegler and I am glad we didn't get Leniu. There was lots of speculation with Haas, Tino and Twal but they all stayed put.

The rest of mids that changed clubs were either average or young and needed developing. Like Keppie, Aitasi James, Mikaele and Palasia who stayed in Qld. Baker was ok but not a top prop. So we had no choice hense Faamausili and chasing Taukeiaho and ending up with Tetevano as a stop gap and Suluka-Fifita for development.

Its going to be the same next year. AFB is going to the Sharks and theres only a couple of good top line props available like Hamlin-Uele who just resigned with the Sharks. Or maybe Hess or one of the Dragon mids available like Molo or De Belin but they are average. The rest once again are young and untried or fringe NRL players that are not going to change things just more Suttons. Maybe McClean could be OK.

So I can understand the Bulldogs having a large treasure chest of money and there not being top players available. It makes sense to get what good players are available at the time like when Tracy and Curran came available. Getting a cheap backup hooker, good players to fill gaps.

This is only the 2nd year of a 5 year plan and the way Richie is going on its as though we had to have built a top side year 2. If we ended up with top mids we would have been weaker in the backs and halves. It takes time and the best thing is that we have invested heavily in young players and development and thats where its going to make the difference to the culture and attitudes of the players.

I am glad we didn't get Leniu for the sake of a tough mid or pay overs for Blake. May is a big miss but there was too much baggage. I think there are plenty of young props out there and it looks like we will have to make our own which will be much better because a big part of why the Bulldogs were called the Dogs of War because it wasn't just size but a Bulldog heart and mentality that you can't buy.

Thats why I think getting Klemmer back would be so great because he's got a Bulldog heart and has the size and mongrel and would be good for him to come back like Reynolds to finish his career.
The world is broad and wide though. It seems like cause Thommo was only here to take the piss that it's not worth considering the UK as place to recruit. Might be a punt but it certainly has paid off for other clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My biggest worry is our back 3 - All skinny guys compared to most clubs. They just aren't getting the metres we need at the start of our sets, putting more work on our forward pack.

We defended as best as we possibly could, but if you can't get out of your half eventually it takes its toll.

I know the Warriors lost on the weekend, but if you watch them closey, they can sometimes go an entire set without a single forward hitting it up and still make 60m a set. It's what allows guys like AFB to play big minutes and score tries, as he's not wasted hitting it up from his line.
Agree - the defence was admirable based on the continued defence set after set. We defended straight for the first 40 minutes. No juice to turn it around. The Parra performance was top line - they chocked us. They will be top 4 this year.

Dogs Life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is the 2nd season of coach Ceraldo and the results have been poor. Poor coaching = Poor results. He had a batch of excellent players at Penrith but has shown himself unable to pull a club up from near the bottom of the results ladder. The Bulldogs administration should not use the Bulldogs as a training ground for rookie coaches. It happened with rookie coach Trent Barrett and its happening with current rookie coach Cameron Ceraldo. We want a proven success as coach and we had the chance to secure the services of Shane Flanagan who has won an NRL competition with Cronulla. Well done to St George for their smart decision to hire Shane Flanagan. I'm tired of Mr Ceraldo making excuses for his team and praising them when they have been thrashed once again by Parramatta in Round 1, 2024. It's all too cosy at the Bulldogs, just keep the players happy but too bad for the frustrated fan base. Sack Mr Ceraldo.
Big over reaction - Flanagan would not have made a difference. We will continue to progress each year - 3 years away form finals football.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What doesn’t make sense? That Gus tried to buy AFB, May, Taukieaho, amongst other forwards? Rumour also that he was trying to get Taumalolo. Not good enough forwards for you?
Only afb is taking charge up front out of them. The others are standard. There is shit load of forwards in england he could’ve looked at.our pack is piss poor. Kikau has been a major disappointment, Mahoney has gone backwards.

Foxterrier

New Pup
Reaction score
Big over reaction - Flanagan would not have made a difference. We will continue to progress each year - 3 years away form finals football.
I hope we win the comp in 3 years but it won't happen with Coach Ciraldo unless Gus gets him a team of champions and dodges the salary cap. Gus has been a disappointment as the man to steer the Bulldogs up the competition ladder. Gus has hired Coach Ciraldo and it is paying dividends in attracting Penrith players but that is a long way having a Premiership team. We need a very experienced coach to win consistently. Dean Pay did better than both Trent Barrett and Cameron Ciraldo and his team was much weaker than what coach Ciraldo has now and had last season.