Opinion Is Burton disinterested?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Burton at 5/8th has failed, while we should never take Critta away from his most dangerous position in the centres I kind of like the 1-7 you’ve put up, CC will be crazy not to try it if we struggle first five rounds.
Really shouldn't be havin to be worrying about positions and fitting in players to best serve towards the teams success. Nevertheless us fans are bc we care and fed up with failure and negativity.

Things haven't fallen into place as yet. Hopefully they do real soon and coach and players get settled into their best form and best positions.

Micko

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Playing Burton in the centres makes no sense at all. Last year he set up more try’s than any other player in our team and was 17th for try assists overall. That put him in front of both Moses and Munster.

Considering he played in a team where the forwards gave him no space and rarely won the battle, it’s a fair achievement.

He has a great chance this year to improve. But he still plays in a team with a below average forward pack, without an established halfback or fullback. The problem isn’t Burton, it’s the players around him that need to improve. If they all do and we continue to lose. Then it’s time to move Burton.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Playing Burton in the centres makes no sense at all. Last year he set up more try’s than any other player in our team and was 17th for try assists overall. That put him in front of both Moses and Munster.

Considering he played in a team where the forwards gave him no space and rarely won the battle, it’s a fair achievement.

He has a great chance this year to improve. But he still plays in a team with a below average forward pack, without an established halfback or fullback. The problem isn’t Burton, it’s the players around him that need to improve. If they all do and we continue to lose. Then it’s time to move Burton.
No it's not. He got ALL our good ball with the fair chunk of those try assists coming from hail mary kicks. It's not all about his personal numbers, it's about the team.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Come on mate, you know league, of cause it’s on the coach, but if you are a first year coach coming into a long term losing squad, and you find all you’ve inherited from previous coaches is a lazy culture, bad discipline, and an entitlement type attitude exists, you do your best with what you’ve got, and then injuries occur and you have a shit season, you can’t just sweep that straight out, because they have contracts ..

I’m not wanking Ciraldo off, I’m not wanking Burton off .. but I am old enough and and I’ve been around long enough to know when you need to cut people some slack ..

At 23, I’d like to see us continue training Burton & let him grow into the role for a bit longer with some better quality players around him … I’d like to see what Ciraldo can do with a team he builds, and I’d like to see where we can go with the juniors Gould brings through .. because at the end of the day, I don’t know who else can get us back to the top ..

As I said, if it’s a failure I’ll be the first to put my hand up and say you guys were right,

Until then, I’d really like to see you blokes get behind these young kids more & level of the criticism ..
Maybe I'm just over being a easy beat shitty team over the last 9 years.

I loved being hate by other fans, now they just pity us.

PS I hope the assistant doesn't pollute our juniors. I see big things for them in the coming years.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer is no, of course he is not disinterested. Maybe a little down of confidence and form, however, now that the opposition game plan won't be totally focussed on shutting down one player, he may have a little more space to operate. Once the confidence comes back, so will his form.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just over being a easy beat shitty team over the last 9 years.

I loved being hate by other fans, now they just pity us.

PS I hope the assistant doesn't pollute our juniors. I see big things for them in the coming years.
Pretty much every coach in history was called assistant at some point in their career .. instant success can be as fickle as being lucky enough to pick up the right club at the right time, while also being lucky enough to inherit a cashed up talented squad at the same time ..

Look at Webster, he was an assistant and pretty much unheard of, he fortunately inherited a good spine, a tough prop rotation, descent backs and a country with one team, pass on what your previous 3peat club were doing at training .. and it’s going to bode you well ..

Look at what Ciraldo took on .. long term losers & wooden spoon team .. ??

I commend Gould’s & Ciraldo’s bravery for taking on such a train wreck .. and I’m backing them to take us back to the top, not overnight .. but I believe they’ll get us there ..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Pretty much every coach in history was called assistant at some point in their career .. instant success can be as fickle as being lucky enough to pick up the right club at the right time, while also being lucky enough to inherit a cashed up talented squad at the same time ..

Look at Webster, he was an assistant and pretty much unheard of, he fortunately inherited a good spine, a tough prop rotation, descent backs and a country with one team, pass on what your previous 3peat club were doing at training .. and it’s going to bode you well ..

Look at what Ciraldo took on .. long term losers & wooden spoon team .. ??

I commend Gould’s & Ciraldo’s bravery for taking on such a train wreck .. and I’m backing them to take us back to the top, not overnight .. but I believe they’ll get us there ..
If our defence improves I'll be over the moon. Defence is a mind frame. Plus we have to stop the lapses which serve up tries on a platter.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If our defence improves I'll be over the moon. Defence is a mind frame. Plus we have to stop the lapses which serve up tries on a platter.
I think we can all agree on that ..

I was very disappointed with the Sharks first try .. not that they scored it, more in the way they scored it, shades of 23 .. I don’t want to see huge gaps like that on our line ever again ..

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue with Burton isn't one of lack of interest. He's just not of the leadership mindset, at least yet. Maturity isn't there in that capacity. A brilliant athlete but certainly not a Steve Price or Baa or even Josh Jackson. He's still an absolute asset to have, but we need to use him right and have him working off someone.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's holding the team back, a total liability. Has arguably the best left edge in the game outside him and he provides them with fuck all. That left edge doesn't need a ball runner, it needs a ball player. Our fans will really celebrate him for making a half break while ignoring the countless opportunities THE TEAM doesn't create because HE is incapable of executing or making the right decision.
If your not in top 3 #6s in the game for TAs with that edge it will be a massive fail

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No it's not. He got ALL our good ball with the fair chunk of those try assists coming from hail mary kicks. It's not all about his personal numbers, it's about the team.
If you showed him a tiny bit of love, he'd be better, but you're always negative about Burty and it influences him and makes him sad

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you showed him a tiny bit of love, he'd be better, but you're always negative about Burty and it influences him and makes him sad
But a few years ago Marley rode Mbye like he was the brown Terry Lamb….hopefully Burton doesn’t end up a bit part Jack of all trades master of none overrated journeyman like Mbye[emoji23] [emoji23]