News Why Canterbury’s $3.3m marquee signing will play in the centres … for now

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Problem is CC went with Perham
Last year. We all know the reason was that he was louder and there were too many quiet players in the team. However Averillo showed what he could do and it was a big call that proved to be wrong. He also persisted with it way too long. If Perham had been dropped after 5 rounds we all would have probs been ok with it but it took 10 or so where the season was already almost over till he realised he was wrong.
This year Taafe has not given us any faith he is the man. He has dropped bombs, but also he has not been hitting his targets with our attacking backline plays, he has also
Not been following up in the middle for example when hutch went through there was no one there. Someone like Taafe should have been on his shoulder so that break turns into
Try. Taasfs confidence also looks shot for me that means he needs to go to cup and earn his way back in. Hopefully Tracey is fit because Crichton seems to still be a bit injured and for fb you need to be 100%. If neither are ready to go fb needs to be Wilson.
I don't disagree at all... We just have to hope CC doesn't the make the same mistake twice and Taafe moves aside for the next dog of the rank if he doesn't cut it.

Taafe, Critta and Tracey all train at FB... I dont think CC would be silly to put his job on based on pride.

Last edited:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I actually don't mind Critta at FB now, we need a stronger voice at the back.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
From memory Taaffe was starting fullback when Mitchell was out. Mitchell would keep any aspiring fullback out so I guess if Mitchell wasn't there Taaffe would have been the first choice fullback and had his chances. Thats why he came to the Dogs. I reckon give him a chance.

He was also captain and fullback for Souths winning NSW cup side. He may need to be developed more but he has the makings of a good fullback.

But I am liking the sound of that lethal left side. Why not throw in Taaffe as I reckon he may add another dimension playing off such a lethal combo.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
From memory Taaffe was starting fullback when Mitchell was out. Mitchell would keep any aspiring fullback out so I guess if Mitchell wasn't there Taaffe would have been the first choice fullback and had his chances. Thats why he came to the Dogs. I reckon give him a chance.

He was also captain and fullback for Souths winning NSW cup side. He may need to be developed more but he has the makings of a good fullback.

But I am liking the sound of that lethal left side. Why not throw in Taaffe as I reckon he may add another dimension playing off such a lethal combo.
If Mitchell wasn't there they would've bought someone else.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I always thought joash was too small but after seeing the trials and taffe vs papalii I’m on the joash bandwagon. He should be our 1 long term

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Taffe has an off night and people writing him off…why don’t you see how he goes after a few rounds before making judgement
Some Kennelers don't allow mistakes from any of our players. They must lead perfect lives.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Taaffe is 25 years old if he hasn’t developed by now he never will. It’s not like he is some 18/19 year old rookie

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould & Ciraldo money ball disaster.

Could have matched or got close to the Phins offer for Avo and told him he will get first crack at FB.
Is rather be coached by Bennett and live in Brisbane then Ciraldo and live in Shitney!

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taffe has an off night and people writing him off…why don’t you see how he goes after a few rounds before making judgement
Ah that's just not tk way, it's all fire and brimstone after one bad showing and on that note, Hutchinson should be sacked

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah that's just not tk way, it's all fire and brimstone after one bad showing and on that note, Hutchinson should be sacked
Which is hilarious because after trial 1, most were praising Hutch and saying Taaffe surprised with a very solid game ..

You have to factor in the opposition, Sharks are a big tough side all over the park, they’re 1st grade seasoned and have played together for quite a few years now including finals.

We’re a small side learning to come together ..

We punched well above our weight, and while there were some wobbles and nerves, they held their own for the full 80 minutes, even the young blokes ..

All in all things are looking promising for a change .. long way to go, but promising ..

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which is hilarious because after trial 1, most were praising Hutch and saying Taaffe surprised with a very solid game ..

You have to factor in the opposition, Sharks are a big tough side all over the park, they’re 1st grade seasoned and have played together for quite a few years now including finals.

We’re a small side learning to come together ..

We punched well above our weight, and while there were some wobbles and nerves, they held their own for the full 80 minutes, even the young blokes ..

All in all things are looking promising for a change .. long way to go, but promising ..
Well said mate…. If you look at the Sharks, it’s virtually the same starting 13 for the past 2-3 years!

They’ve got their combinations down pact, us on the other hand, we’ve gutted an entire Top 30 in the space of f’king 3yrs.

The signs are positive so far after a couple of trials, let’s wait n see after a few rounds how the formations come together before dropping players

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tracey to fb, Curran starting and Salmon to 14 are the only changes I’d make.
This matched my thoughts as well, it’s ok to say Taaffe had an off night, but if you continued to drop your bundle and lost your nerve like that in a first grade game with 2 points on the line, from FB position, the opposition would eat you alive… Ciro also needs to say it’s tough but that’s not acceptable at this level, like I think he’s done with Knight ..

I feel Taaffe might need to build some confidence in reggies after that, can’t have him running in under a high ball thinking shit I hope I don’t drop it, also all teams will have watched that in video reviews and pepper him ..

Hope he comes back strong, … but it’s Tracey for me round 1 if fit and good to go ..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Could have matched or got close to the Phins offer for Avo and told him he will get first crack at FB.
Not just money. The club wanted to keep Avo (Gus said so publicly) but clearly not at any price (not so public) and Avo also admitted he wanted to be coached by Skeletor and that was a significant part of his decision to leave rather than it was the Bulldogs cutting him.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Taaffe is 25 years old if he hasn’t developed by now he never will. It’s not like he is some 18/19 year old rookie
Maybe, but from the looks of his ability in the lower grades and then tracing his development it seems he had a couple of great players in front of him at Souths just when he should have been developing into top grade. I don't think he was ever going to out Mitchell. Then he was made a bit of a utility role when he did get his chances unless there was injury for which he seemed to go pretty well.

So it could be a case of lack of opportunity and with a bit more development and confidence he may do ok. But he seems one of those players that has lived in the shadow of other players in front of him. That seems to be the case with a few of the utility players.

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Mitchell wasn't there they would've bought someone else.
Maybe but Taaffe filled in while Mitchell was injured many times so they could have brought in someone else there as well I guess maybe Johnson or Munro. He was often the 14th man so was deemed good enough to regularly play at NRL level.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould & Ciraldo money ball disaster.

Looking at it now Avo at FB was the best route to take. Tracey is unavailable for half the season+ and Taafe simply better option than Averillo. How longs he signed up at Phins? Might be the length which discouraged the club.