Poll: Who played better - Melbourne or Penrith?

Which team was the better team in the Grand Final - Melbourne or Penrith?

• Total voters

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
There is no doubt the grand final leaves much to be discussed - dodgy calls, favorable penalty count in the first half, however which team do you think played better, Melbourne or Penrith?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I know they lost, but I think the Panthers played better. Melbourne definitely got the rub of the green in this match, but they didn't play for the entire 80s mins like Penrith did, and a lot of Melbourne's tries were purely out of luck/Penrith errors. When the Panthers applied the pressure, Melbourne paid the price, but the Panthers line defense was great.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne were far better in key moments
Penrith cracked under pressure. Forced their hand too early.
Intercept try, playing at the ball when Cam Smith picked it from dummy half, letting Pap run the length off a scrum.
Penrith finally scored a try and dropped the ball on the next 2 sets of possession.
Down by 10 with 7mins to go Luai put up a bomb that went too far and pap caught it in goal for a 7tackle restart. Pretty much was the nail in the coffin

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers had a scrappy game, too many dropped balls, waywood passes. Just didnt get momentum for long enough periods.

Melbourne controlled the momentum, slowed up the game, got tangled in every second tackle, controlled kikau well. They also ruffled Jerome Lua. They were peppering him all match. Classic Melbourne win, don't let the opposition get Into any rythem.

Panthers very frustrated

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know they lost, but I think the Panthers played better. Melbourne definitely got the rub of the green in this match, but they didn't play for the entire 80s mins like Penrith did, and a lot of Melbourne's tries were purely out of luck/Penrith errors. When the Panthers applied the pressure, Melbourne paid the price, but the Panthers line defense was great.
You can't be losing 26 nil in a game and be the better team!

Penrith were garbage and only came into the game on the back of the ref. Two storm trys..Olam and Cam Smith, were lucky but not dodgy. After Papanhuyzrn scored, Panthers got the dodgiest call of the night - the shepherd try. I don't know anyone who thought that was a try. Panthers were getting 6 again nearly every set. Cleary had a poor game. Api didn't do much and storm forwards dominated.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You can't be losing 26 nil in a game and be the better team!

Penrith were garbage and only came into the game on the back of the ref. Two storm trys..Olam and Cam Smith, were lucky but not dodgy. After Papanhuyzrn scored, Panthers got the dodgiest call of the night - the shepherd try. I don't know anyone who thought that was a try. Panthers were getting 6 again nearly every set. Cleary had a poor game. Api didn't do much and storm forwards dominated.
This. The scoreboard is there fore all to see. Melbourne made their own luck and opportunities. That's what top teams do. As someone said above, Melbourne were far batter in key moments.

lol @ this poll.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think they were both ordinary and erratic when it comes to team composition. I've never seen so many points scored where not one spine player was dominant and heavily influenced the result in a positive way throughout 80mins. Look through both 17s there wasn't many players who had good games

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Melbourne were way better, but it was a shit GF. Grand finals involving the Storm are always shit to watch
True that, I hate seeing them in GF's. It's always Melbourne or Roosters in GF over the last 2 decades except for the odd occasion.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Melbourne deserved to win. Their big game experience told as they were far more composed all game and defended their line better. Once they got to an early lead they were never losing.

Penrith capitulated in the first half and only came back as the Storm had an insurmountable lead and Penrith were getting an infinite amount of six agains.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Is this even a question? Did you not hear Gus during the broadcast?!!

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Melbourne were way more clinical. Panthers may be better on the eye but they played themselves out of the game.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While this is true, melbourne capitalised every time penrif made their mistakes. They were the better team. Penrif were unluck though, ill give them that.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where's the third option for the pre-game entertainment as I thought she played better than both teams? It was a crap game of footy.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Shit game, shit refs. Tops off a shit season really.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Panthers beat themselves. To many forced passes which lead to errors, the better team won