Views on Current Circumstances

Malla

Reaction score
I think one thing that is being overlooked is that we need to sign some quality assistants as well. The good teams have good assistant coaches as well as good head coaches. I havent rated any of the assistants we have had in previous years.

If we sign Barrett then they need to open the purse strings and sign some decent bloody assistants. Preferably ones that have NRL experience.

The knights signed David Furner (i think) to assist O'Brien this year. He was also under Paul Green at the Cowboys. Barrett signed on with Penrith this year and has helped transform them. Robinson has Jason Taylor there.

Someone like Neil Henry for example
Definitely. Look at the Roosters, Storm and Rabbits. They have a great coaching staff with assistant coaches who are easily fit to be head coaches. You only have to look at the litter of coaches both here and ESL who plied their trade at these clubs.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We're in a hole right now but it's not all lost like so many people are saying. I remember the last time we got the spoon in 08, Folkes said half way through the year that we're "in a hole with no short term exit". The next year we signed Kimmorley, J Morris, Ennis, Stagg, Hannant and Eastwood and went one game short of a GF. Not saying it will be easy or work out just like it did then, but with the right signings there can be immediate results. Rugby league is a game of quick turnarounds, whether for better or worse.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
With basically the same roster that Barrett finished 15th with in 2018, Des came in and finished 6th in 2019. Also Tom Trbo played almost every game in 2018. He actually played a lot less games in 2019. I'll support Barrett regardless if he's the coach that's selected and I hope he's learnt some lessons from coaching Manly. There will be a lot more pressure on the coach next year than this year imo (higher expectations due to a better roster). That boards giving me the shits so hopefully they can start to show something in regards to recruitment for 2021 soon.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Panthers attack looking pretty sharp, and Barrett is part of that reason .. so while we all may not agree on Barrett , he definitely has something to offer that we have missed .. we have been scoring 10.5 points a fucking game..

Lots screamed for Pay to go, or to be sacked (excluding #PaysPets #horseShit #RattyTattBoy #FewOthers)

we got that.. I will support Barrett if he gets the gig, as I did Pay when he got the gig.. and until he fails (as pay did) then he will get the benefit of the doubt..!! It’s change , we asked and asked and it’s happened..!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The big thing that concerns me moving forward is that whoever the Coach is needs to be taking an active role in recruitment asap as players need to be signed as per whatever plan they have. We have lost months already on this issue and heaps of guys are already gone off the market. No time to waste at all. I certainly hope that they can attract some players there were otherwise not considering us.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
A bit over a decade ago on resigning a first grade coach stated something to the effect that a good coach needed to understand / appreciate the mindset of the generation of the players he had to work with. He made the point that families, clubs, organisations, mobility, expectations just the general way of life etc evolved over time and unless a coach adapted and adopted the relationship side of coaching they would never get the best out of players. Coaching was much more than the mechanics of the game.
Who said that?

I actually think that a head coach today is mainly roster selection and man management with a general overview of style and input. It's the assistants that do the hard stuff.

but what do I know?

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who said that?

I actually think that a head coach today is mainly roster selection and man management with a general overview of style and input. It's the assistants that do the hard stuff.

but what do I know?
go to a parramatta training session and watch Brad Arthur. The head coach is responsible for everything.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
go to a parramatta training session and watch Brad Arthur. The head coach is responsible for everything.
I’ve met and spoken to Brad Arthur. Before talking to him, I thought this guy was gone from the Eels. Didn’t look like a coach.
But after meeting him, had great insights and really sold the role of a coach. Top bloke too

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’ve met and spoken to Brad Arthur. Before talking to him, I thought this guy was gone from the Eels. Didn’t look like a coach.
But after meeting him, had great insights and really sold the role of a coach. Top bloke too
i played with and against Arthur, he is very regimated and abit like a drill sargent but he going well at present.
i often watch his training sessions, they are a great learning experience for any coach.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who said that?

but what do I know?
I cant remember exactly- maybe Daniel Anderson - my memory is not good - but he was making the point that he could not understand the motivation of the players 15, 20 years younger than him. What motivated/ demotivated his generation was completely different to the players he was working with so it wasn't enough to know the game, skills strategies etc.

Dakdah

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’d be ok with Barrett given the current available options ONLY if we had a strong defensive coach and suitable assistants. The fact Barrett has had nrl experience hopes he has a point to prove. He has apparently brought the panthers attack on this year so hopefully he can introduce attack to the side. Barrett is hardly top shelf coach but has to be an improvement. Pay has had 3 years to even introduce the smaller things like support play, urgency in defence and attack etc. All players should be able to have these regardless of talent but our side shows none. Interesting to see when Macgregor was asked about quitting the dragons a few weeks ago he was almost insulted by the notion of quitting. Pay had no hesitation in quitting it seems.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If we had to get another coach who has coached Manly (my most hated team) I’d rather Toovey. In saying that, any new coach who has 3 million to spend will look good

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we had to get another coach who has coached Manly (my most hated team) I’d rather Toovey. In saying that, any new coach who has 3 million to spend will look good
why?? barrett was a bulldogs fan growing up, and youd rather a through and through eagle in Toovey?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I cant remember exactly- maybe Daniel Anderson - my memory is not good - but he was making the point that he could not understand the motivation of the players 15, 20 years younger than him. What motivated/ demotivated his generation was completely different to the players he was working with so it wasn't enough to know the game, skills strategies etc.
Holly shit, based on that logic Bennett should have retired 40+ years ago before he won his first NRL Championship.

Go Dogs

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
why?? barrett was a bulldogs fan growing up, and youd rather a through and through eagle in Toovey?
I don’t like him as a person for several reasons due to information I am privy to and won’t share. I also don’t like how he handled things with Manly and was a bit of a sook which as some people know here I hate sooks. At the end of the day though I want a coach who will help us succeed and I’ll still support the club regardless of who we sign

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay had to go unfortunately. Either he wasn't making the decisions for the team and management had already marginalised him or he was still making the wrong decisions. Some weren't his fault, but first year in the job you can allow him to make mistakes as he is a rookie coach. But eventually you have to look at results. We may not have the best team but we do have a pretty decent forward pack and we have had some decent players in the backline. Something is missing either whats missing is a coach that can coach, or a coach that can identify what is missing and fix.

Is Barret that person dunno, some pretty knowledgeable people think he could be. But I think what Barret needs is support in the football department above and under him. Whatever Steve Price is supposed to be doing he needs to do it or the club needs to find someone that can. I think Barret could be the answer to our onfield issues but can Barret handle everything behind the scenes we will have to wait and see.

I think Barret will be motivated though, this is his second chance at a head coaching gig. Will not get another unless he heads over to England for a period.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only positive here is only way is up .. if board goes we can improve greatly and know where we never want to be again. Board has to go. Lowest point I’ve ever seen our club at least this time in 09 we signed ennis , stagg, Eastwood etc this BOard is absolutely useless!!

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t like him as a person for several reasons due to information I am privy to and won’t share. I also don’t like how he handled things with Manly and was a bit of a sook which as some people know here I hate sooks. At the end of the day though I want a coach who will help us succeed and I’ll still support the club regardless of who we sign
Was he really a bulldogs fan?

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
all i care about is that players (including established) like him.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its funny the people screaming out for change in coach are equally not as happy about the news of Barrett being the new head coach? ill get to that in a minute...

Unfortunately Pay was collateral damage in a long line of changes needed at the club (starting with the board), yes he did not have the roster however he also did not have the football acumen... his team selections and bench rotation was somewhat questionable, we had no attacking structures whatsoever and players weren't improving individually..

The footballing department (coaching team) needs a massive change up, our skills coach teaches no skills. We need in depth attention to detail and a modern way of thinking under the new rules, we have not adapted in any way.

I do not know what Steve Price is doing?? We have not heard from him and i am not sure what he has actually contributed to the club since being appointed, if anyone has any insight i would love to hear it.

Now that Dean pay is sacked, as fans we must move forward... i am surprised to see the negative comments on Barrett?? Did people actually believe we would sign Bellamy? Bennett? Shaun Wane... Wane said it the other month, he would love to coach NRL after he has dominated Australia on International Level...

So who else is left, Anthony Griffin?? the bloke is dry as concrete, he has no personality or man management skills and is just as old school as what we currently have...

We can question Barrett of course, but if we remember his time at the eagles, he inherited a similar situation as Dean Pay did after Toovey/Des left, restricted salary cap and was only able to do bargain buys and blood youth.

he made the finals first year.

The Trbojevic brothers.
signed Fonua blake who got sacked from saints.
signed Shaun Lane who ended up being eagles player of the season.
signed Moses Suli who got sacked by us.
signed Jackson Hastings who didn't perform at roosters, did well at eagles.. its funny we all want Hastings now.

In season two he got hammered with injuries (including Turbo) how are manly doing now that hes injured? and also had a civil wart with Evans verse the rest. we can criticize him for not handling it, but what was he to do, sack Evans??

If Barrett jumps on board, I am all for it, there is a lot we dont see.. but players in the game respect him a lot and i think he will be able to bring some decent established players, as well as up and comers..

In closing, i do think that Barrett will need full support of the board, his own coaching staff.. very intrigued to see who his assistant coach would be.. However with this current mob, i am not too sure how that will suffice, they need to bury their heads and walk out that door, i called it last week, Pay will get sacked just so they can save their own rear end.
Don't believe all you read and hear but...
There has been attempts by the club to lure Bellamy and Bennett
The results in short...
Bellamy, No for next year maybe 2022 !
Bennett, Yes with many demands, it met rejections by the management !
In life there are no guarantees but can we afford to take chances on Barrett as reported for the next three years
Does our current environment allow it ???