Views on Current Circumstances

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its funny the people screaming out for change in coach are equally not as happy about the news of Barrett being the new head coach? ill get to that in a minute...

Unfortunately Pay was collateral damage in a long line of changes needed at the club (starting with the board), yes he did not have the roster however he also did not have the football acumen... his team selections and bench rotation was somewhat questionable, we had no attacking structures whatsoever and players weren't improving individually..

The footballing department (coaching team) needs a massive change up, our skills coach teaches no skills. We need in depth attention to detail and a modern way of thinking under the new rules, we have not adapted in any way.

I do not know what Steve Price is doing?? We have not heard from him and i am not sure what he has actually contributed to the club since being appointed, if anyone has any insight i would love to hear it.

Now that Dean pay is sacked, as fans we must move forward... i am surprised to see the negative comments on Barrett?? Did people actually believe we would sign Bellamy? Bennett? Shaun Wane... Wane said it the other month, he would love to coach NRL after he has dominated Australia on International Level...

So who else is left, Anthony Griffin?? the bloke is dry as concrete, he has no personality or man management skills and is just as old school as what we currently have...

We can question Barrett of course, but if we remember his time at the eagles, he inherited a similar situation as Dean Pay did after Toovey/Des left, restricted salary cap and was only able to do bargain buys and blood youth.

he made the finals first year.

The Trbojevic brothers.
signed Fonua blake who got sacked from saints.
signed Shaun Lane who ended up being eagles player of the season.
signed Moses Suli who got sacked by us.
signed Jackson Hastings who didn't perform at roosters, did well at eagles.. its funny we all want Hastings now.

In season two he got hammered with injuries (including Turbo) how are manly doing now that hes injured? and also had a civil wart with Evans verse the rest. we can criticize him for not handling it, but what was he to do, sack Evans??

If Barrett jumps on board, I am all for it, there is a lot we dont see.. but players in the game respect him a lot and i think he will be able to bring some decent established players, as well as up and comers..

In closing, i do think that Barrett will need full support of the board, his own coaching staff.. very intrigued to see who his assistant coach would be.. However with this current mob, i am not too sure how that will suffice, they need to bury their heads and walk out that door, i called it last week, Pay will get sacked just so they can save their own rear end.

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
agreed, better than pay that’s for sure. at least we’ll have a coach that plays players in their correct position for fuck sake. well let’s hope

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dean Pay was a punt as a rookie coach.. Barrett has been an NRL coach before at Manly and was sacked..

I dont see what there is to get excited about tbh..

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dean Pay was a punt as a rookie coach.. Barrett has been an NRL coach before at Manly and was sacked..

I dont see what there is to get excited about tbh..
Des hasler was sacked
Cleary was sacked
Mcguire was sacked
Stuart was sacked
Griffin was sacked
Toovey was sacked
Bennett was sacked

who do you want Fitzgibbon, another rookie?? belammy?? Bennett?? Robinson?? Shaun wane, a coach who came out and said he is only committed to England???

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Barrett made the finals in his second season. He's not who I would target but he does have a lot to offer as an attacking coach.

My concern with Griffin is his lack of personality and how many players didn't like his methods. But he won 55% of his games and he has proven he can turn a club around.

I guess my point is to those who hate the idea of Barrett, no matter who they choose they all have their flaws as well as their positives.

The best decision would have been to appoint O'Brien or Holbrook last year but they screwed that up and this is the situation we find ourselves in.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
agreed, better than pay that’s for sure. at least we’ll have a coach that plays players in their correct position for fuck sake. well let’s hope
All we know is it couldn't continue as it was.

The Board and Pay giveth and the Board hath taken away.

We are mere pawns and await the outcome of this Boards governance.

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett made the finals in his second season. He's not who I would target but he does have a lot to offer as an attacking coach.

My concern with Griffin is his lack of personality and how many players didn't like his methods. But he won 55% of his games and he has proven he can turn a club around.

I guess my point is to those who hate the idea of Barrett, no matter who they choose they all have their flaws as well as their positives.

The best decision would have been to appoint O'Brien or Holbrook last year but they screwed that up and this is the situation we find ourselves in.
Obrien would have been risk too, hes pretty much walked in to a complete roster at Knights, par having a five eight.
Holbrook, probably so.. time will tell i guess.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let's not forget Phil Gould rubber stamped Barrett's coaching abilities when he took over the mess at Manly. We spent 2 and a half years under Pay's leadership which saw our team regress over that time period. I'm not a fan of Barrett and never was but I am willing to give him a shot!!! Can't be any worse than Pay!!! I am hoping Barrett raids the Panthers nursery on his way to Belmore, God knows we need new blood and new talent to breath life into our team and club and to give us fans something to get excited about.

Last edited:

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m ok with Barrett. Any change is a positive thing right now given our season so far. I think he might be a good idea. I’d also like the club to look at James Graham as a forwards coach/assistant. He is retiring at the end of the year and I think he’s a great bloke and would be awesome to have around at the club...players love him and the media love him

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Obrien would have been risk too, hes pretty much walked in to a complete roster at Knights, par having a five eight.
Holbrook, probably so.. time will tell i guess.
There's risk with any coach which is kind of my point. I don't hate the idea of Barrett as I like the thought of an attacking coach after a decade of being stuck in 1986 with the boring, predictable style of Des/Payball.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think one thing that is being overlooked is that we need to sign some quality assistants as well. The good teams have good assistant coaches as well as good head coaches. I havent rated any of the assistants we have had in previous years.

If we sign Barrett then they need to open the purse strings and sign some decent bloody assistants. Preferably ones that have NRL experience.

The knights signed David Furner (i think) to assist O'Brien this year. He was also under Paul Green at the Cowboys. Barrett signed on with Penrith this year and has helped transform them. Robinson has Jason Taylor there.

Someone like Neil Henry for example

Kratos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like the idea of Barrett for one key reason, he's got something to prove. Players/coaches who have something to prove are much more likely to achieve than established coaches. Even Des had something to prove when he came to us because Manly undervalued him. Look at all the players in all the competitions around the world now who were sacked/delisted/written-off, they are driven succeed.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A bit over a decade ago on resigning a first grade coach stated something to the effect that a good coach needed to understand / appreciate the mindset of the generation of the players he had to work with. He made the point that families, clubs, organisations, mobility, expectations just the general way of life etc evolved over time and unless a coach adapted and adopted the relationship side of coaching they would never get the best out of players. Coaching was much more than the mechanics of the game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think one thing that is being overlooked is that we need to sign some quality assistants as well. The good teams have good assistant coaches as well as good head coaches. I havent rated any of the assistants we have had in previous years.
If we sign Barrett then they need to open the purse strings and sign some decent bloody assistants. Preferably ones that have NRL experience.
The knights signed David Furner (i think) to assist O'Brien this year. He was also under Paul Green at the Cowboys. Barrett signed on with Penrith this year and has helped transform them. Robinson has Jason Taylor there.
The big one, although it took some time for them (other coaching staff and players) to listen to him is Flanagan at StGeorge. He was recruited on Gould's report recommendation that McGregor needed decent assistants. We need that badly, have done for 2 years. Hopefully if it is Barrett then they will at the same time get someone who can overrule him on defence.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The first (not the main) problem that I have with Barrett is that he has absolutely no loyalty, if he sees a better deal for himself then he will jump, he's a narcissist. The main problem as I see it is that he recruits attacking players, coaches primarily attack and instils no defensive structures as all. His time at Manly is prime example of that, take away their main weapons of attack and they lost games because they have no defence to fall back on. It's only slightly better now, even in Hasler's time, the team is still unbalanced.

Go Dogs

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I can glean...
Bennett said no for 2021
Bellamy said no for 2021
Wane wants to beat Aust first before coaching NRL
Hook would be happy to coach again
Barrett, I’ve heard nothing from
Daley said no, not that he was asked
Fitzgibbon said no for 2021
Brown I’ve heard nothing from
Toovey I’ve heard nothing from but showed interest in the Warriors

Hook seems real old school and appears to lose the players after 2-3yrs

Maybe Barrett is a more modern coach? Seems he’s got a good attacking attitude, something we’ve sorely missed for soo long. But then that whole Manly blow up...

Is it just a case of throwing more money at Wane until he doesn’t say no anymore?

Whatever happens, hopefully the board gives the new coach enough control to choose his players.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The first (not the main) problem that I have with Barrett is that he has absolutely no loyalty, if he sees a better deal for himself then he will jump, he's a narcissist. The main problem as I see it is that he recruits attacking players, coaches primarily attack and instils no defensive structures as all. His time at Manly is prime example of that, take away their main weapons of attack and they lost games because they have no defence to fall back on. It's only slightly better now, even in Hasler's time, the team is still unbalanced.

Go Dogs
Amazing I actually agree with you, but thinking in a positve way, if Barrett left our club in a few years for example the same condition he left Manly club in, that would be a bonus for next coach eg Hasler.

No matter who coaches us, i highly doubt we will win a premiership in next 2yrs. I just want a coach who will lead the club in right direction...

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amazing I actually agree with you, but thinking in a positve way, if Barrett left our club in a few years for example the same condition he left Manly club in, that would be a bonus for next coach eg Hasler.

No matter who coaches us, i highly doubt we will win a premiership in next 2yrs. I just want a coach who will lead the club in right direction...
Barrett coach 2021-23, gets us into top 4 but takes big offer at Brisbane when Siebs is tossed
Holbrook takes over in 2024, dogs win premiership

;)

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Getting barret will be good for our halves and attacking structures IMO the other bonus with him is that he has a strong relationship which Gus who will be a very handy resource for him and the club