Barrett warned he could destroy his career at Bulldogs, Pay's final straw revealed

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Assuming claims of board room tension are correct, boardroom tensions are commonplace at struggling clubs and a number of coaches have taken jobs at clubs with divided boards and have gone on to deliver success. In a result oriented field, a lack of results creates tension and often factional division.....it's only natural that when any brand is struggling, board members will split into factions due to different ideas about how things should be done. Pay gets a lot of leeway from media due to the circumstances he inherited.... where is that same leeway for the board. I guarantee that if an EGM was called next week and the current board was ousted, these same media parasites would be talking about how board members were hard done by, couldn't have been expected to do better and were the victims of impatient and unrealistic members. As soon as someone leaves or is clearly on the outer at the club, the narrative shifts and they go from problem to victim. Pretty transparent stuff. I don't know much about board machinations, but I do know that despite the roster's obvious limitations, the team seems to have gone backwards this year. New rules to advantage attacking teams were never going to help a poor attacking side that relies on defence and we've had some bad luck with injuries and unforseen circumstances like the CHN/ Okunbor saga and now Averillo being quarantined. I feel a bit sorry for Pay too..... but in a results based business, those who don't deliver results will come under scrutiny. Nature of the beast.
Manly won a couple of titles at a time when the board apparently all hated one another and there was a power straggler for ownership.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Please stop refuring to Dean pay as a bulldog legend and josh Reynolds as a bulldog hero... Both were very good players and were appreciated when they played for us but both left our club to join rival clubs.... To me someone like el masri is a club legend, as spent his whole career with us and probably could have left for better offers when in his prime but chose not to...... The club is just looking at better options no different to what these guys did.... Its buisness

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Manly won a couple of titles at a time when the board apparently all hated one another and there was a power straggler for ownership.
Totally..... if a new coach has money to spend and can attract the players for a rebuild, board infighting is not necessarily an impediment to success.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We all hate people talking about our club but everything I just read sounded pretty much true. I'm not as offended at Pay going as this article, although I agree he was a fall guy. He should never have been coaching this year.

The rest about the Board sounds fair enough though and I think the Anderson's at Canterbury is also untenable now. They must concede their failed ego and power play and protect what they claim to love and walk away.

Like minded people are needed to come in now with no fighting but the greater good in mind. Show some solidarity, stability and show potential Coaches and players that there is a future.
Some of what he said isn't outlandish but it's the tone and motivation of the article and all of the others like them that you have to question.

It's obvious the sole intention of the article was to cause a stir and further heap shit on the club to create a story where there isn't one.

Daley hasn't even coached at the NRL level and was one of the worst Origin coaches in recent memory so his expertise on coaching I can do without.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I actually agree with daley. If he backed up failing at Manly with failing with us, he would not get another fg gig. And if the club treat him like pay, and over rule his suggestions, he will just be pay all over again. Now I know pay was being over ruled by the board, i want the board gone. Then the new coach will have a fair chance

Reactions: TAS

Malla

Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong but was Pay not brought on by Castle and Dib?

He was hired in September 2017. Castle was still our CEO.

What is Wiedler talking about?

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
"as a former great of the club"

hearing this a lot about Pay... He lost that tag the minute he walked out on the club in 1995 along with Dymock, J Smith and McCracken.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually agree with daley. If he backed up failing at Manly with failing with us, he would not get another fg gig. And if the club treat him like pay, and over rule his suggestions, he will just be pay all over again. Now I know pay was being over ruled by the board, i want the board gone. Then the new coach will have a fair chance
I agree with you agreeing.

Assistant coaches should not necessarily jump at a head coaching position just because it is head coach. Coaching the dogs is a poisoned chalice at the moment, no matter how much we think this "$3M war chest" is an attraction.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Excellent advice from Laurie. Trent, he is right mate and you dont want to come to the Dogs as its not the right choice for you. Mary is going soon so hang out for that job.

Cheers
Bazildog

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Also I wouldn't mind seeing Georgallis get the gig next year if we finish off the year ok with him. Not expecting miracles with this squad, but improvement would be a good sign for Georgallis

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck off Daley. Failed as a coach. Failed as a TV commentator. Now a breakfast radio jock. Just in case you’re too dumb to realise, the club is not interested in you to coach, your name was thrown up by a journo in their daily fiction.

Danny Dumb C**t trying to rewrite history...Pay was only hired as a failed ploy to save Dibs job. The present board showed loyalty for another 12months and that loyalty was repaid with 16th halfway through the season, the worst start since 1964ish, a solitary win out of nine, with none of the losses even looking like we had a chance to win even the close ones.

Every man and his dog could see The 12month extension was a warning to Pay...show us you are the right coach or we are looking elsewhere. Well you didn’t so they are.

And f**k right off with this continued bullshit that grub was offered for a song...$300-400k is not a song for a hotheaded headless chook that has had a horror injury run.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Chris his sidekick Lynne and her puppet Hill needed to walk with Pay and as for Steve Price that moron deserves no mention.

Malla

Reaction score
Also I wouldn't mind seeing Georgallis get the gig next year if we finish off the year ok with him. Not expecting miracles with this squad, but improvement would be a good sign for Georgallis
One reason why I disagree with this entirely is our position next year. We have 3 million in cap space. We need to spend this wisely. We need someone with experience to make these decisions.

Georgallis should continue doing his time. He will get an opportunity if he is persistent. Just this one isn't for him.

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can someone actually point out something that Pay has initiated that was memorable or that a player has improved under his watch. Even with an ordinary squad he has done nothing to show he could coach with a better squad. At least Barret has obviously made a difference to Panthers attack this year. It's something. Barret is not perfect but he is better than Pay.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
It'll be tough this week and for the next few.

No Averillo, No Hoppa, No To'omonga (Possibly), No Elliott, No Smith (Suspended).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with you agreeing.

Assistant coaches should not necessarily jump at a head coaching position just because it is head coach. Coaching the dogs is a poisoned chalice at the moment, no matter how much we think this "$3M war chest" is an attraction.
In theory that's true but you have to strike while the iron is hot as an assistant, especially one like Barrett who might not get a second chance again.

What if Penrith start struggling late this season and into next year and their attack stagnates? Or other highly rated assistants and coaches pop up as candidates? What if Bellamy, Bennett, Flanagan etc are on the market?

So while it makes sense to say be patient and wait for the right job, well you might not get another opportunity or if you do, it might be just as bad or worse than this role.

At least we're a big club with a tonne of cap space. So that in itself is a huge attraction for any coach.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck this media campaign to tell everyone to stay away from the club. Especially Daley for his rent a quote.. Like his opinion means anything.

Barrett, Griffin or anyone else would be lucky to get this job at a big club with a tonne of cap space. There are only 16 head coaching jobs and very few vacancies each year.

So to suggest an assistant avoids a head coaching gig is laughable and obviously just slander against the club for the sake of it.
your 100% right

I blame a lot of this on the club for not sticking up for itself. Over the past 10 years or so we’ve become the runt dog of the litter...afraid and pathetic.

We need to stand up for ourselves, challenge media when required, challenge views that wrong

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Georgalis, Barrett, Dymoch, Ryles..?? FMD we really have slipped down the old shit shute as a club from Powerhouse to a bunch who get excited over an already failed assistant.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Some of what he said isn't outlandish but it's the tone and motivation of the article and all of the others like them that you have to question.

It's obvious the sole intention of the article was to cause a stir and further heap shit on the club to create a story where there isn't one.

Daley hasn't even coached at the NRL level and was one of the worst Origin coaches in recent memory so his expertise on coaching I can do without.
Media talking anything dogs is always in the negative but I agree any Coach other then top tier ones would need to be very careful about coming to the dogs under the current climate. It could be a career killer without much imagination required.