From this moment forward

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pays been given long enough, he ain’t up to it. His time is up an he needs to go, no more bloody excuses for the guy..!!!

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooner we can get the England coach the better. Pay is never going to get the best out of whatever players he has. He's just not smart enough IMO and he's way too "nice". If we get beat by the Broncos then maybe we will increase the $$$ offered to Cotric. We're pretty deperate for a decent signing and once we get 1 it will make it a bit easier to sign others and for less. I'd rather us pay Cotric an extra 100 - 150 K if we need to to get him than to miss out on a Cotric only to spend it on someone like Chee-Kam

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sooner we can get the England coach the better. Pay is never going to get the best out of whatever players he has. He's just not smart enough IMO and he's way too "nice". If we get beat by the Broncos then maybe we will increase the $$$ offered to Cotric. We're pretty deperate for a decent signing and once we get 1 it will make it a bit easier to sign others and for less. I'd rather us pay Cotric an extra 100 - 150 K if we need to to get him than to miss out on a Cotric only to spend it on someone like Chee-Kam
Yep I like Wane, he seems like the best option available. People complain that he doesn't have "NRL experience" but that's just BS, its still rugby league and he has proven he can coach since he has won 3 titles so he knows how to get it done. Mcguire and Robinson didn't have NRL experience and they worked out well (albeit with stacked rosters). If you want NRL experience get him an experienced assistant (someone like John Cartwright). Hopefully the Wane rumours are one of the few rumours that are actually true
Not sure about paying too much for Cotric though - if we have to pay overs it should be for Chricton, Burton and B Smith

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I accept nothing until I see the proof, evidence, you can join in too if you like, offer up some proof to support your views.

Can I also respectfully suggest that you look up and read what I actually posted. Other well respected coaches make the same rotations game after game but of course they are ignored whilst ours negatively over hyped.

Go Dogs
So u didnt see our attack absolutely die in the arse when he pulled JMK and replaced him with Holland last week? That call lost us the game

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Griffin has a 55% record over 173 games at Brisbane and Penrith. It's not like there is no one out there.
You make top 8 each year on that win %...

The guy got shafted twice for Wayne Bennett..

First time Bennett wanted to go back to Broncos - Griffin shafted
Second time Gould wanted Bennett at Penrith, so he shafted Griffin...

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So u didnt see our attack absolutely die in the arse when he pulled JMK and replaced him with Holland last week? That call lost us the game
Thank you, at least someone is willing to put up some facts to support their opinion. The score was 20 to 10 when Holland replaced JMK at the 60th minute, to me the reason for that was Walker had just made a line break and JMK was too exhausted to stop it. JMK had made 35 tackles which, when he was replaced, was the most for any Bulldogs player, in fact I think it was the most for anyone on the field at the time. He had covered a lot of mileage in defence helping in Elliott's absence. If Pay hadn't used the bench people would have complained that JMK was gassed and should have been replaced. Being at the game I thought it was the right call at the right time, other opinions may vary.

Go Dogs

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Griffen has never really been sacked for any fair or legitimate reason when you look a little deeper.
1. Shafted by the Broncos because they wanted 'club legend' Bennett back. The side Griffen built would ultimately be taken to the GF in 2015.
2. Only sacked by Penrith so they could get Ivan and negate losing Nathan to the Tigers... Were firming for a top 4 finish before the drama destabilised the club.
100% correct pay goes I want Griffin

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah for sure man. My only issue with Griffin is what support staff you would put around him, seems like a pretty bland dude on screen lol, could be different around the boys. But yeah not a bad coach at all, if we talk about wanting to develop good juniors he's one of the better options that can help achieve that. Not my preferred option but miles ahead of Pay.
With very few alternatives how about installing Griffin as our coaching director and give Pay a 1 +1 extension with the 2nd year being performance based/club favoured?

Griffin then handles all the purchases and juniors, but more importantly the structures and tactics and Pay continues with developing the heart (only area the team is currently excelling in).

Tack on some positional assistants like Ennis, Noddy and James Graham. Get rid of Georgalis and whoever else is "helping" except maybe Shifty.

The board can then hunt around for the next gun coach for 2022 or 23 and if we need to act faster on Pay, Griffin can cover head coach in the interim.

We can't have another rookie flying solo, there are no real strong candidates for 2021 and Pay simply cannot handle it alone if he stays.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I go through waves of different opinions on this myself during a week.

The players absolutely love Dean. We all admit the 2 seasons before this were better than we all expected. This season it hasn't gone to plane at all, but maybe it's just other teams have improved their squads where we've stagnated due to our cap situation.

There's a lot of things I disagree with that I've seen from Dean Pay, but it does seem pretty bad to give him 3 years with a reserve grade side and then cut him when he finally has a chance to coach talented players.

I think there's still life in Dean Pay as a Bulldogs coach. I'm sure I'll change my mind my Saturday night.
The 2 seasons before were horrendous until the last month. We have been sitting last for three years running at this point.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
With very few alternatives how about installing Griffin as our coaching director and give Pay a 1 +1 extension with the 2nd year being performance based/club favoured?

Griffin then handles all the purchases and juniors, but more importantly the structures and tactics and Pay continues with developing the heart (only area the team is currently excelling in).

Tack on some positional assistants like Ennis, Noddy and James Graham. Get rid of Georgalis and whoever else is "helping" except maybe Shifty.

The board can then hunt around for the next gun coach for 2022 or 23 and if we need to act faster on Pay, Griffin can cover head coach in the interim.

We can't have another rookie flying solo, there are no real strong candidates for 2021 and Pay simply cannot handle it alone if he stays.
Why wouldn’t you just hire Griffin to do everything then keeping Pay on for “heart” what the fuck

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here : the chimpster and morondog are idiots......

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t you just hire Griffin to do everything then keeping Pay on for “heart” what the fuck
Because I don't see either Griffin or Pay as long term options as our actual head coach.

Unless we can "somehow" jag a Belamy, Robinson or possibly Bennett to break a contract for us in 21 all that remains is an untested or unsuccessful coach that we are going to entrust our war chest too?

I am far from a Pay fun trust me, but at least the current squad knows him and his ways and with an experienced head around to guide and develop him in 2021 and our riches may not be a total waste.

The other option is what? Fitzgibbon or Wane who may well prove to be excellent options but do we really want to be experimenting again with an unknown, not least of all with our first real spending spree in years! I just think thats another 2 years wasted.

I would personally love Gould to take the role but his life is too cushy ATM to take us on in the director of coaching position and there are no real candidates off contract for head coach, Griffin may be too far a stretch for the full time role as coach and he would not go for assistant so the director position for a 2 year contract could be a good option. Use his brains and he won't have to be involved in the day to day grind. Their total $ combined would be cheaper than Bellamy.

Rather than take on another rookie, at least players would know they have Pay for at least a year but also have an experienced man overseeing all aspects of future development. Potential recruits have 2 years worth of semi certainty.

Then we can go balls to the 2 the wall for Bellamy in 2022, or more realisticly Fitzgibbon or Holbrook, who would at least have a strong backbone behind them in Griffin to guide them, ala Pay, as they learn their craft.