Bulldogs hang Pay out to dry

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Dinkum,
Hill is more inept than both Greenberg & Castle compounded. The most impressive press release he gave was on the COVID-19 protocols during the Tolman incident- a dress rehearsal for his next role @NSW Health? Absolute letdown. Along with Lynne’s lack of leadership, conviction & direction is the corollary of where the Club stands today.
The Football Department(FD) has been run by another Chair appointment in Price, such a disappointment!An absolute shambles at the moment; rather than everybody swimming in the same lane, the FD resembles a sack of cats, ferals scratching on their own in the dark. Communication is poor to nonexistent.
The Coach & Recruitment Manager have little if any say in the current recruitment plans.
Our High Performance Manager is calling the shots on player wellbeing (testament & proof is how slow & unfit our players look in comparison to every opposition). Pay has brought some of this on himself with Antonelli & the leftover Georgallis. IF Pay is handed a reprieve I hope it is well thought out with at least 2 COMPETENT assistants. Ideally Gary Hughes appointed in an advisory role & the entire recruitment personnel & committee rebuked and put under intense scrutiny.
COVID-19 can’t be used as an excuse- it effected everyone equally.
The Club’s caught in a rip & needs some experienced strong lifesavers to rescue it...

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope you weren’t one of the whingers crying about us losing a potential major sponsor then
Did I say anything about the major sponsor?
Winning games will bring the sponsors and we need as many talented players as possible to do that

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
No Dinkum,
Hill is more inept than both Greenberg & Castle compounded. The most impressive press release he gave was on the COVID-19 protocols during the Tolman incident- a dress rehearsal for his next role @NSW Health? Absolute letdown. Along with Lynne’s lack of leadership, conviction & direction is the corollary of where the Club stands today.
The Football Department(FD) has been run by another Chair appointment in Price, such a disappointment!An absolute shambles at the moment; rather than everybody swimming in the same lane, the FD resembles a sack of cats, ferals scratching on their own in the dark. Communication is poor to nonexistent.
The Coach & Recruitment Manager have little if any say in the current recruitment.Our High Performance Manager is calling the shots on player wellbeing (testament & proof is how slow & unfit our players look in comparison to every opposition). Pay has brought some of this on himself with Antonelli & the leftover Georgallis. IF Pay is handed a reprieve I hope it is well thought out with at least 2 COMPETENT assistants. Ideally Gary Hughes appointed in an advisory role & the entire recruitment personnel & committee rebuked and put under intense scrutiny.
COVID-19 can’t be used as an excuse- it effected everyone equally.
The Club’s caught in a rip & needs some experienced strong lifesavers to rescue it...
Stopped reading at ‘more inept than Castle’ :-).

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like I said before he is just as good as Bateman (minus the ruthless put your head anywhere defence). But hole running, speed and passing they are on par. Only difference is CHN won’t cost you 800-850 a year. He is the biggest loss of our season. And sad thing is no one at the club can slot in and take over.

Doubt he would come back with the shit treatment he copped. Club was too quick to dump him even though he did the wrong thing. Look how dragons have stood by JDB and look how quickly we distanced ourself from CHN, yet still no rasheys or other sponsors. Hmmmmm
I understand he was de-registered by the NRL, not the Bulldogs.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Really? I’ve seen him in the press enough to know he’s around and not too much where it’s not relevant. How many other club CEO’s pop up regularly? Not many that I can name.
I would prefer him to remain silent, unless theres some announcement.
He was very quiet about Luke Thompson and that worked out well.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stopped reading at ‘more inept than Castle’ :-).
Thought you might; it doesn’t support your pro Anderson/Hill/Reform Ticket narrative.
Pity you don’t read on & hear more home truths.... but I understand you want your perception to be everyone’s reality.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I understand he was de-registered by the NRL, not the Bulldogs.
But we cut him immediately as soon as nrl de-registered him. Likely purely a financial decision. But showed no loyalty to stand by your player.

Don’t get me wrong was a excessive penalty from the nrl (atleast state the amount of games or time for the suspension). Never seen then de-register a player like that since Barba.

Lyn never stood up to revolt the suspension instead accepted it and terminated their multi year offers.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But we cut him immediately as soon as nrl de-registered him. Likely purely a financial decision. But showed no loyalty to stand by your player.

Don’t get me wrong was a excessive penalty from the nrl (atleast state the amount of games or time for the suspension). Never seen then de-register a player like that since Barba.

Lyn never stood up to revolt the suspension instead accepted it and terminated their multi year offers.
What do you suppose we should have done instead? The players are essentially employees of the NRL.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully they are competent.
The problem is if it isn't the current board or former board members then who is it?

There's certain members of the former board and current board that would be the perfect mix but I could never see them working together.

They aren't the big names either they are more lesser known but I'd love to see how they would go if they could have a bigger say.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thought you might; it doesn’t support your pro Anderson/Hill/Reform Ticket narrative.
Pity you don’t read on & hear more home truths.... but I understand you want your perception to be everyone’s reality.
Says the anti-faction leader :-).
You’re actually wrong about me.
I’m not pro or anti anyone.
I’m letting things play out is all.
There’s enough doom and gloomers in the world who call themselves ‘realists’ and are so often proved wrong.
Nor am I telling anyone else what to think.
I’ve simply seen no evidence from all the ‘anti’ camp of their charges and until such evidence emerges the presumption of innocence remains for me.
We’ll see where it ends up...

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The problem is if it isn't the current board or former board members then who is it?

There's certain members of the former board and current board that would be the perfect mix but I could never see them working together.

They aren't the big names either they are more lesser known but I'd love to see how they would go if they could have a bigger say.[/

Last edited:

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I say anything about the major sponsor?
Winning games will bring the sponsors and we need as many talented players as possible to do that
I went to a luncheon (i.e. free piss up) back in 2012 with Greenberg as the main speaker

He was saying that back in 2008 the dogs had no major sponsor. Our brand was so bad that when they offered Camp Quality free sponsorship on our jersey while we searched for a major sponsor they knocked it back

Eventually they got on board but it shows how bad we were going when we couldnt even give away free advertising

You are spot on when you say winning games gets the sponsors because we started 2009 on fire and landed a major sponsor mid way through the year

Maybe we should offer our jersey to another charity while we keep searching ?

Although some might suggest our players are being charitable enough to other teams....

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What do you suppose we should have done instead? The players are essentially employees of the NRL.
They could have atleast fronted the media and undertaken an appeal. Force the NRL’s hand to hand out a clear cut penalty. Call it 1 season call it 20 matches etc.

JDB has been suspended for his second straight season and yet is still training and getting paid by his club.

Maybe it was not possible? But would have been nice to stand up for your players. We lost a great player (and a not so great player) we lost a sponsor and we just accepted it. Atleast get clarification from nrl on length of punishment because I assure you once he is re-registered he will be picked up and we lose another international rep and are left with our balls in our hands.

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's not just Crawley. Every journo is sympathetic towards Pay. For some reason he's a protected species who dare not be criticized. They all treat like a victim and overlook his shitting coaching. I get that he inherited a shit roster, and nobody is blaming him for that but to overlook his coaching deficiencies is just ridiculous. For the last 2 weeks Brandy has been pointing out that when we make a rare line break, there is no friggin support. It happened against the Sharks and then the following week against the Tigers. That is down to Pay. Simples
Dean Pay seems a nice bloke but is not a first grade coach. Still waiting for the madness to be unleashed.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I went to a luncheon (i.e. free piss up) back in 2012 with Greenberg as the main speaker

He was saying that back in 2008 the dogs had no major sponsor. Our brand was so bad that when they offered Camp Quality free sponsorship on our jersey while we searched for a major sponsor they knocked it back

Eventually they got on board but it shows how bad we were going when we couldnt even give away free advertising

You are spot on when you say winning games gets the sponsors because we started 2009 on fire and landed a major sponsor mid way through the year

Maybe we should offer our jersey to another charity while we keep searching ?

Although some might suggest our players are being charitable enough to other teams....
You’re right, we need to put SOMETHING on there while we look for a sponsor. Here’s an out of the box idea: make it a political statement like Black Lives Matter. Club releases a statement about how rugby league has a strong history of creating indigenous role models and how the club has one of the most multicultural fan bases. Get players like Adam Elliott, Reimis Smith, Chris Smith, etc to promote. Guaranteed to put us in the news not only here but overseas for all the right reasons.

On the media sticking up for Pay, he’s well liked in the game so that’s no surprise. A good, honest country bloke who always makes himself available for an interview. Unfortunately that doesn’t win football games.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'l bet anything that as soon as CHN @ JO appeals are finished and are allowed to play the media skum will be saying how badly they were treated for doing nothing wrong.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'l bet anything that as soon as CHN @ JO appeals are finished and are allowed to play the media skum will be saying how badly they were treated for doing nothing wrong.
Yes I can see that. IMO, CHN didn't do anything wrong at all - he should never have been sacked, so any media sympathy for him is justified
What JO did was just stupid and grubby even if not illegal

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Says the anti-faction leader :-).
You’re actually wrong about me.
I’m not pro or anti anyone.
I’m letting things play out is all.
There’s enough doom and gloomers in the world who call themselves ‘realists’ and are so often proved wrong.
Nor am I telling anyone else what to think.
I’ve simply seen no evidence from all the ‘anti’ camp of their charges and until such evidence emerges the presumption of innocence remains for me.
We’ll see where it ends up...
Fair Dinkum, you’re a card!
For the record, I’ve criticised the previous board just as vehemently :-
1) Dib signed the ridiculous and embarrassing deal with Classic Sportswear.
2) Dib made the PC appointment of Castle as CEO. Her position was that of a paper tiger.
3)Dib’s biggest error was not omitting the Football Department autonomy clause when renegotiating the last contract & the premature termination.
I call it as I see it, black or white; no shades of grey.

Under this administration the Football Club degenerated in every aspect.If you can honestly say that after serving a full term and 4 months into their second tenure, that the Board in general, the Chair, CEO have and are doing a good job then

1) in denial
2) one of “them”
3) both 1 &2

Last edited: