Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Could there be a delayed, longer incubation rate to Covid, by children, and therefore a secondwave coming?

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...luding-bloodshot-eyes-and-skin-rash-c-1004872
That's possible. The main thing it does is damage to the lungs, but it also hits the heart, kidneys, liver, bladder, nervous system, etc.

So it's plausible that it could sit in the nervous system for a longer period in kids. Even months on we still know very little about this virus.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It included both primary school and high school students.

As for the 'virus deciding you are no longer a kid', I'm not entirely sure what your question is. It seems well established the virus is fatal for the elderly and people with existing immune and respiratory conditions. Whereas the virus appears (largely) to not affect children.

I would assume that children having only been alive for <18 years have not yet developed any bad illnesses and diseases and are generally healthy human beings and therefore less likely to experience any of the more serious symptoms of the Chinese virus.

However the study also seems to suggest that the transmission to/from children is also far less than amongst adults. It would lend
It included both primary school and high school students.

As for the 'virus deciding you are no longer a kid', I'm not entirely sure what your question is. It seems well established the virus is fatal for the elderly and people with existing immune and respiratory conditions. Whereas the virus appears (largely) to not affect children.

I would assume that children having only been alive for <18 years have not yet developed any bad illnesses and diseases and are generally healthy human beings and therefore less likely to experience any of the more serious symptoms of the Chinese virus.

However the study also seems to suggest that the transmission to/from children is also far less than amongst adults. It would lend weight to opening schools immediately and having all students back at both primary and high schools.

You can read the results of the study here:

http://ncirs.org.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/NCIRS NSW Schools COVID_Summary_FINAL public_26 April 2020.pdf
weight to opening schools immediately and having all students back at both primary and high schools.

You can read the results of the study here:

http://ncirs.org.au/sites/default/files/2020-04/NCIRS NSW Schools COVID_Summary_FINAL public_26 April 2020.pdf
Well my point is young adults get it..and some students in seniors are 18-19..they can pass it on..regardless of the less risk.. Additionally Teachers travel to school on trains, buses..the interact with other teachers, parents, support staff..transmissions can occur here too..they don’t interact with just kids..that’s the big misconception..they too have families...I was a teacher..my sister is one too..I would not be comfortable in going back to school yet.. Term 3 is a more realistic goal..the flu season is winding down..a second wave could come.. The risk is there..the technology is there..use it.. Don’t rush it..we don’t need too..be cautious..look around the world and see what happens if you move too early..

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That video right there tells me that Darwin's theory of natural selection has largely been negated by humans. That's the shallow end of the gene pool. Among all of that I saw no discussion of note about the virus. Just a gathering of morons that love to shout. There have to be leaders somewhere wondering how these guys have achieved a pretty dominant place in the power structure of world politics if they saw this video.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only 2 new cases NZ, no more deaths.. seems we have almost stomped it out, looking good, hopefully back to normal in a few weeks.!!!
You'll need to restrict travel to NZ from outside of the country. There are still too many places in the world that aren't taking it seriously. They're going to continue to be Petri dishes for the virus.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It's definitely a weird one with the kids. Based on loose speculation it could be:

- stronger immune system in kids as they're usually exposed to many things

- lower blood pressure

- stronger lungs and heart

But the weird part is the low spread rate as asymptomatic adults have a fairly high spread rate.

All in all the experts haven't figured it out yet but the important part is that there does seem to be a very low infection rate in kids
Funny you mention low blood pressure, the profs contribute my naturally low blood pressure as a defence. I usually sit on 90/60 but on Good days it sits on 110/70.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
That video right there tells me that Darwin's theory of natural selection has largely been negated by humans. That's the shallow end of the gene pool. Among all of that I saw no discussion of note about the virus. Just a gathering of morons that love to shout. There have to be leaders somewhere wondering how these guys have achieved a pretty dominant place in the power structure of world politics if they saw this video.
Dumbass Murikans, enough said.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'll need to restrict travel to NZ from outside of the country. There are still too many places in the world that aren't taking it seriously. They're going to continue to be Petri dishes for the virus.
Aus and nz will have boarders open to each other within 3 months ,air fairs will double stricter measurements at check ins

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well my point is young adults get it..and some students in seniors are 18-19..they can pass it on..regardless of the less risk.. Additionally Teachers travel to school on trains, buses..the interact with other teachers, parents, support staff..transmissions can occur here too..they don’t interact with just kids..that’s the big misconception..they too have families...I was a teacher..my sister is one too..I would not be comfortable in going back to school yet.. Term 3 is a more realistic goal..the flu season is winding down..a second wave could come.. The risk is there..the technology is there..use it.. Don’t rush it..we don’t need too..be cautious..look around the world and see what happens if you move too early..
If teachers don’t feel comfortable they shouldn’t be getting paid. I have many family members working at present, in different industries with high interactions with the public. They have to work. I wouldn’t mind if teachers said no even though I don’t agree with it. Yet as public sector workers are on full pay. That shouldn’t continue if full duties aren’t performed

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been wearing my mask to the shops. I don't want to mix with the leppers.

I've noticed a few people wearing masks but majority are not.

I think people that wear face masks are a different class of citizen. The non wearers seem to be of a lower class. Willing to mix spit with others

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
If teachers don’t feel comfortable they shouldn’t be getting paid. I have many family members working at present, in different industries with high interactions with the public. They have to work. I wouldn’t mind if teachers said no even though I don’t agree with it. Yet as public sector workers are on full pay. That shouldn’t continue if full duties aren’t performed
Actually I think you may have underestimated what it takes..you’d be quite surprised just how much extra work it takes to work online..it’s not just lounging about on the couch using a computer.. Programs have been rewritten..Assignments changed..day work changed..new teaching methods learnt to make sure kids continue to receive a quality education.. It’s a complete full day..complete...even parent/teaches interviews..oh I forgot to add even P.E. to keep kids fit..the only thing different is the kids aren’t their in front of of em.. We have the technology to allow the kids to be taught from home..Isn’t it best we use it and take a big chunk of the population out of the equation? Regardless of the perceived non threat of kids being spreaders..and we got to remember we don’t know everything about this virus..so it sounds like a logical scenario.

As for other worker, if the technology supports them to be able to work from home they should use it too. If they can’t we’ll I fully support them in what choice they make.

* one final point..if parents are unable to leave their kid at home..supervision is offered for kids at school where they interact with their teachers via the computer..

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Actually I think you may have underestimated what it takes..you’d be quite surprised just how much extra work it takes to work online..it’s not just lounging about on the couch using a computer.. Programs have been rewritten..Assignments changed..day work changed..new teaching methods learnt to make sure kids continue to receive a quality education.. It’s a complete full day..complete...even parent/teaches interviews..oh I forgot to add even P.E. to keep kids fit..the only thing different is the kids aren’t their in front of of em.. We have the technology to allow the kids to be taught from home..Isn’t it best we use it and take a big chunk of the population out of the equation? Regardless of the perceived non threat of kids being spreaders..and we got to remember we don’t know everything about this virus..so it sounds like a logical scenario.

As for other worker, if the technology supports them to be able to work from home they should use it too. If they can’t we’ll I fully support them in what choice they make.

* one final point..if parents are unable to leave their kid at home..supervision is offered for kids at school where they interact with their teachers via the computer..
I’ve got cousins that teach too. They said it’s a bludge and they love it. My major concern is the kids. They need proper teaching. Some can adapt but most parents I speak to say there kids aren’t learning a thing. I believe it’s the unions stopping schools going back. The prime minister gave a direction its safe and to send kids. But then the unions get involved

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve got cousins that teach too. They said it’s a bludge and they love it. My major concern is the kids. They need proper teaching. Some can adapt but most parents I speak to say there kids aren’t learning a thing. I believe it’s the unions stopping schools going back. The prime minister gave a direction its safe and to send kids. But then the unions get involved
Well in the end teaching is how much you put in to it..and teachers who, as you call ‘bludge’ at home are not necessarily the teachers I would want teaching face to face at school anyway to be quite frank..that’s a comment I’d expect from a kid.
As for unions protesting, what purpose does it serve apart from protecting their workers? Anyway the Union powers have decreased so much in Australia that it’s not as powerful voice as it was before..

As for parents complaining, and kids not receiving a quality education..granted I understand that.. albeit that quality comes down to how well it’s taught..and with the attitude of the teachers you have described I’m not surprised parents are concerned..I’m sure there are more engaged teachers. However, it has been only two weeks of last term..and one more term. It gives a chance, some time, for this virus to run its course..finally nail it in Australia..

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yup, that’s correct..!!

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well in the end teaching is how much you put in to it..and teachers who, as you call ‘bludge’ at home are not necessarily the teachers I would want teaching face to face at school anyway to be quite frank..that’s a comment I’d expect from a kid.
As for unions protesting, what purpose does it serve apart from protecting their workers? Anyway the Union powers have decreased so much in Australia that it’s not as powerful voice as it was before..

As for parents complaining, and kids not receiving a quality education..granted I understand that.. albeit that quality comes down to how well it’s taught..and with the attitude of the teachers you have described I’m not surprised parents are concerned..I’m sure there are more engaged teachers. However, it has been only two weeks of last term..and one more term. It gives a chance, some time, for this virus to run its course..finally nail it in Australia..
Yeah fair call. Agree with all but unions. The teachers still have a strong representation. And there clearly going against what our prime minister is saying. The nurses have a large union also, but there still doing what’s been asked. Personally in my job I can’t physically keep the required separation. Work with on a standard week 30 different people. So more exposed than teachers. Yet because if we don’t work don’t get paid there’s no choice. Haven’t heard anyone complain though

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

The people I know teaching are saying the on line stuff is a bludge. For them, there not doing what’s not asked there just saying it’s money for jam

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Starting to wonder what the time frame is to totally stamp out this nasty shit from earth, its going to take a few years.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My wife is a teacher and she is getting hammered. Admittedly she works at a private school meaning more is expected but she normally works 2days a week but at the moment she is working around 4 days cause everything is online (but still only getting paid for 2 days)

Status
Not open for further replies.