News ANZAC DAY

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Nice thread Wendog.

Important day that I hope doesn’t dissipate over time now not many if any diggers are left.

I’ll never forget the experience of Anzac Day at Gallipoli where you can truly appreciate the horror that our boys would’ve endured and how they eventually fought back and gained the upper hand. Inspiring.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Nice thread Wendog.

Important day that I hope doesn’t dissipate over time now not many if any diggers are left.

I’ll never forget the experience of Anzac Day at Gallipoli where you can truly appreciate the horror that our boys would’ve endured and how they eventually fought back and gained the upper hand. Inspiring.
We haven't been to Gallipoli but have been to the Western Front in 2012. The terrain around Ypres etc so flat, it's emotional imagining how they were sitting ducks jumping out of trenches running into machine gun fire positioned on the top of slightly undulating hills. The commanders were bloody minded butchers to send them over.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice thread Wendog.

My late grandfather was an orderly on a hospital ship, evacuating the troops off the Gallipoli beachhead. On his return to Sydney, he was presented with a chicken feather by a woman in the street, because he was wearing civilian clothing. The presentation of a white feather was an insult, suggesting you were safe at home while their loved ones were away fighting.

He enlisted, and was sent to Egypt for training, then to the Somme, where he was in the mud and blood for over a year. He was part of the big push at the Somme, where he had his leg blown off by a German shell. He had a wooden leg for the rest of his life. He passed away from a heart attack 70 years ago, when I was just one year old.

Grandad was a Brand, his father married into the Bond family. He's buried in St.Saviours cemetery where our older generations are buried. They were the earliest settlers, and had a farm at what is now Punchbowl which was, back then, part of Belmore. Bond's farm is still remembered by Bonds Road, which ran down to it.
So, I have long ties to this area.

My father was a commando, behind Japanese lines in New Guinea. Living in the jungle was something he wouldn't talk about for many years. He saw too many atrocities to really ever get over it.

I flew the flag for them both - as I do every year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
My late grandfather was an orderly on a hospital ship, evacuating the troops off the Gallipoli beachhead. On his return to Sydney, he was presented with a chicken feather by a woman in the street, because he was wearing civilian clothing. The presentation of a white feather was an insult, suggesting you were safe at home while their loved ones were away fighting.

He enlisted, and was sent to Egypt for training, then to the Somme, where he was in the mud and blood for over a year. He was part of the big push at the Somme, where he had his leg blown off by a German shell. He had a wooden leg for the rest of his life. He passed away from a heart attack 70 years ago, when I was just one year old.

Grandad was a Brand, his father married into the Bond family. He's buried in St.Saviours cemetery where our older generations are buried. They were the earliest settlers, and had a farm at what is now Punchbowl which was, back then, part of Belmore. Bond's farm is still remembered by Bonds Road, which ran down to it.

My father was a commando, behind Japanese lines in New Guinea. Living in the jungle was something he wouldn't talk about for many years. He saw too many atrocities to really ever get over it.

Thanks for your sharing your story Chris. The sort of sacrifices like those of your family members are largely why we live the way we live today.
My hope is that they will always be appreciated by future generations as those conflicts move farther into history.
As technology changes, future warfare (inevitable to some point) will probably involve less humanity on the front lines and more tech like drones - so to me highlights even more the bravery and sacrifice of guys like your grandfather and father.
At the going down of the sun - and in the morning - we will remember them.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Great memories and stories Chris, from brave men
Thanks for sharing and thanks to your family for their sacrifice, they may have not lost their lives in war but prolly lost a lot of themselves
How those men dealt with war and what they seen is beyond me and true heroes!
Thanks you

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

You mentioned St Saviour's, Punchbowl. My mother's uncle was a VC awardee and was married there in 1920.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
All
Of
The
Above
Comments
Are
Lovely
And
Heart
Warming

and we will NEVER forget, what it’s like. And the joys of supporting the best club to have ever existed.!!!

*least we forget*

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
You mentioned St Saviour's, Punchbowl. My mother's uncle was a VC awardee and was married there in 1920.
It is now a pioneer site. The cemetery is worth a look, there are some interesting graves, but they mean more if you know the history of the families. BTW: my great, great, great uncle - James Bond, is buried there.

Well done your uncle. A brave man.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The most special day of the year. Love it!