News The Bulldogs could have kept a star hooker for just $1500. Instead they cut him loose to join rival.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
March 12, 2020 4:25pm
James HooperFOX SPORTS

The Bulldogs could have kept a star hooker for just $1500. Instead they cut him loose to join rival club

Premiership-winning hooker Michael Ennis says the re-signing of Reed Mahoney (pictured) is a priority for Eels coach Brad Arthur.

Eels live wire Reed Mahoney has an added incentive to carve Canterbury-Bankstown up out of dummy-half tonight – the Bulldogs showed him the door at Belmore back in 2016.

When Mahoney was a rookie No. 9 pushing to get a crack in the NRL after moving to Sydney from the Sunshine Coast, Canterbury-Bankstown decided he wasn’t going to make it.

The Dogs could have kept Mahoney for just $1500 but instead opted to cut him loose midway through the under 20s season.

So arch-rivals Parramatta swooped in and signed the Kawana Dolphins junior to his first contract for $6000.

The Eels moved Mahoney into the same club-sanctioned house where young gun Dylan Brown was also staying, a home away from home for emerging NRL rookies set-up in western Sydney.

Mahoney, now 21, quickly adjusted. After playing in the Eels under 20s grand final loss in 2017, an injury crisis at Parramatta then earned him a crack in the NRL the following season.

The Eels dummy-half played nine games at the back end of 2018 before going on to play every NRL match for the blue and golds last year.

The dagger-in-the-heart for the Bulldogs legion of supporters will be the club’s form line of letting quality No. 9’s walk away from Belmore.

Go back as far as Michael Ennis, who went on to win a premiership with Cronulla in 2016, or current South Sydney and NSW State of Origin hooker Damien Cook.

Fox League analyst Ennis is an unabashed Mahoney fan and predicts the Eels hooker has the all-round dummy-half game to kick on to representative honours for Queensland.

It’s not a matter of if, it’s a matter of when,” Ennis said.

“Reed’s development in the last 12 months has been beyond rapid to the point where he’s knocking on the door to Kevin Walters’ Queensland Origin side.

“His service from dummy-half is superb but it’s his will to compete and to win that means Parramatta simply have to make him a priority signing.”

Recently retired South Sydney champion Sam Burgess opened the conversation about Mahoney on NRL360 on Wednesday night when he stated: “Reed Mahoney, great player, works hard, can he win a comp?”

It’s a pointed and very fair question.

NRL360 host Ben Ikin responded by stating if Brad Arthur is prepared to be patient with his key position players Clint Gutherson, Dylan Brown, Mitchell Moses and Mahoney, then the Eels can absolutely end the NRL’s longest premiership drought.

“I see glimpses of Cameron Smith in Reed Mahoney in the sense that it’s just not pass or run for him,” Ikin said.

“He’s thinking about how he can work with the forwards around him. Given time together if Brad Arthur can be patient then they can absolutely make claims to a premiership.”

As much as the Maroons love incumbent Ben Hunt and Roosters co-captain Jake Friend could easily handle the step-up, there’s a view Mahoney is the future for Queensland.

The Eels are currently in negotiations to try and get Mahoney locked-up at the club long-term.

They’ve got Dylan Brown signed, they’ve got Shaun Lane signed, now Mahoney is the final piece of key position player roster management.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...06a16859b504bfda175?__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Unfortunate as he's better then what we've got. If he stays on his current trajectory it's likely he'll be the 9 for QLD in future years.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FUCK YOU DES, YOU OVER HYPED ****!

YOU AND CRUSHER CLEAL.

YOU WERE BOTH FLOGS AS PLAYERS AND AS COACH AND SCOUT YOU ARE EVEN BIGGER FLOGS.

FUCK OFF AND I HOPE YOU NOTHING BUT MISERY AND FAILURE IN LIFE AND IN YOUR PROFESSIONS.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. We also let Zac Woolford go for likely next to nothing after he had a good season in Cup in 2018 and won consecutive MOTM in the two Cup grand finals. To me he seemed to have first grade potential and didn't even get a shot. Now we have Harper who looks the goods but we are too scared to use him and move Smith to center. Broncs, Storm, Chooks, Sharks etc have shown they are not scared to use their young guns early and reap the rewards while we keep them in reserves and juniors too long.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ah yes the big mistake of letting Mahoney go and bringing in Tramontana hahaha

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. We also let Zac Woolford go for likely next to nothing after he had a good season in Cup in 2018 and won consecutive MOTM in the two Cup grand finals. To me he seemed to have first grade potential and didn't even get a shot. Now we have Harper who looks the goods but we are too scared to use him and move Smith to center. Broncs, Storm, Chooks, Sharks etc have shown they are not scared to use their young guns early and reap the rewards while we keep them in reserves and juniors too long.
TBH bro I think Woolford overachieved and that's why he never saw the light of day even at Newcastle. If he had of played the waiting game and done his time at the Bulldogs then he'd already be seeing first grade by now as we are technically down in the hooking ranks.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We don't like natural hookers at the Bulldogs, we put random players there and try and mould them into hookers :laughing:

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
LOLLLLL $1500 THOUGH?

but we'll pay TREX $600K+ a year and Foran $1 mill+ ...

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
he may have never become the player he is now if he stayed here, im sure theres a reason he was let go. may have only just come good now and in a professional environment its very cut throat. hard to judge it from looking back that far now but it would be nice to have someone as good as him now

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBH bro I think Woolford overachieved and that's why he never saw the light of day even at Newcastle. If he had of played the waiting game and done his time at the Bulldogs then he'd already be seeing first grade by now as we are technically down in the hooking ranks.
It's hard to say whether he would have succeeded if given a shot in first grade or not but it shits me we just persisted with perennial shit **** Lichaa instead of at least trying him as we had fuck all to lose. I was surprised he didn't get a shot at the Knights, I think it was only a one year contract too, not sure if they kept him this year.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FUCK YOU DES, YOU OVER HYPED ****!

YOU AND CRUSHER CLEAL.

YOU WERE BOTH FLOGS AS PLAYERS AND AS COACH AND SCOUT YOU ARE EVEN BIGGER FLOGS.

FUCK OFF AND I HOPE YOU NOTHING BUT MISERY AND FAILURE IN LIFE AND IN YOUR PROFESSIONS.

@bricktamland LOLLL I tried to sum it up here ...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I brought this up last season. We've let some very good hookers go in the last several years and are still left with scraps and no long term solution.

We can't change the mistakes of the past, but they need to show more urgency to address the issue as JMK/Holland/Katoa has to be the worst hooker depth chart in the comp. Except for maybe the Tigers until they get Grant..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yea another one to slip through the cracks per say. However, it is what it is an although we think the 9 role is dead, JMK is going to have to step up an give us something to cheer about, I still have faith he will come good, let’s give him a few rounds an see where he’s at before we start bitching about our 9 aye ..!!

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yea another one to slip through the cracks per say. However, it is what it is an although we think the 9 role is dead, JMK is going to have to step up an give us something to cheer about, I still have faith he will come good, let’s give him a few rounds an see where he’s at before we start bitching about our 9 aye ..!!
I am a JMK fan, I think he will improve and is a dynamic option with very good defence, speed and a decent kicking option. He still hs a lot to learn but credit to him he hasn't taken a backwards step.