News Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera stood down

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep. Completely agree.
My question is if the allegations are true what will be the ultimate penalty. We can only speculate. Short, mid, long term suspension, fines, sackings ?
No idea it’s not like there a precedent for something like this. You’d think a week suspension for bringing a women back to the hotel would be fair but I honestly don’t know about the school visit element.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even though I think it's sleazy, one game and a fine is all they should get imo.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You would have to look up the Crimes Act to get the detail on this, I'm not sure it is quite that straight forward, but it wouldn't be the first time a journo over-simplified something would it...

It is clear they aren't in Legal trouble. There is however a Moral issue if they met these girls at a school, and that is a big deal these days in contexts where it is deemed there is a potential power imbalance, such as in schools. If you ever have the dubious privilege of having to become familiar with the facts on pedophiles and their grooming methods you will discover that they infect institutions that have a distinct power imbalance, like schools, scouts groups, youth groups, etc, which is why such contexts have become extra sensitive even if the student/young person involved is above the age of consent.
Yh I completely understand how big a deal it is if it's true that they did meet the girls at the school while the were representing the club and the game. They 100% deserve to be heavily punished and I honestly wouldn't be that against the club sacking them.

I was just surprised about the legal age being 16, especially with the way things are these days.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
women , just like men need to be responsible for the decisions they make .. and from all reports it was consensual

Women have fought so hard for equal rights ... they don't get to pick an choose what parts are equal and what parts aren't .. equal means equal ..

the players were dumb because of the underlying circumstance .. the acts themselves are not a problem.
I know of women who have lost their careers because they got involved with male students at the school they were working at. The issue (in this case, so far as we can make out), is not over gender, it is the power imbalance inherit between students and non-students in a school context.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
women , just like men need to be responsible for the decisions they make .. and from all reports it was consensual

Women have fought so hard for equal rights ... they don't get to pick an choose what parts are equal and what parts aren't .. equal means equal ..

the players were dumb because of the underlying circumstance .. the acts themselves are not a problem.
That’s not my point with this poster. It’s like the fuckwits that come out and say she encouraged it or dressed wrong(school girls).. I am pissed about this incident because of our history 16 years ago and the baggage we still carry with the public and press. I am pissed about how fucked we have been for the last 6 years or more and was hoping for a positive start which is now compromised. And I am pissed that some people want to make out like it’s no big deal that grown men are chasing teen agers. Grown men in a privileged position about to play in an extremely important game using their little head to make decisions.
Fuckwits.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
That’s not my point with this poster. It’s like the fuckwits that come out and say she encouraged it or dressed wrong(school girls).. I am pissed about this incident because of our history 16 years ago and the baggage we still carry with the public and press. I am pissed about how fucked we have been for the last 6 years or more and was hoping for a positive start which is now compromised. And I am pissed that some people want to make out like it’s no big deal that grown men are chasing teen agers. Grown men in a privileged position about to play in an extremely important game using their little head to make decisions.
Fuckwits.
Spot on Baz, great post mate.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From what i can see its the clubs decision to stand them down and good on them for it some things are more important then wins and losses the club has a standard it expects its players to ahere to and if they dont im all for them taking action.
It just fucking sucks i hoped for a different year but once again it looks like we will once again be up against it, hopefully the boys picked in the 17 go out and make us proud and put in a good performance all the best to Crichton hope he has a blinder
I am fully supportive of the club's decision
It just I can't tolerate the NRL's double standards
The rules should equally apply to all !!!

A

Alexander the Great

Even more the reason why I think the club should have tried harder to keep it within the club. They only found out last Friday morning.

Its another shir stain on the club.
Fuckwits.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep. Completely agree.
My question is if the allegations are true what will be the ultimate penalty. We can only speculate. Short, mid, long term suspension, fines, sackings ?
Yeah there is no close precedent for NRL players, so who knows really. Like nude dancing with Cacti, this is new territory.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha Haha best post ever.
under Greenberg's Izzy stance no heterosexual action is allowed during the season, now had they hooked up with 18yr old boys, boys who identified as girls or girls who identified as boys this would have been a proud NRL rainbow moment

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even more the reason why I think the club should have tried harder to keep it within the club. They only found out last Friday morning.

Its another shir stain on the club.
And how would they keep it in house? You wanted the players suspended for 8 weeks and fined in a previous post do you think no one would notice them missing for 8 weeks? You also have to report any kind of incident to the Integrity Unit. It was reported that it was getting spread in a WhatsApp group and it was bound to get out sooner or later and it becomes a even bigger problem.

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People are missing the point they aren’t getting punished for the actual sex. It’s the fact that they met them at a club school visit and brought them back to the team hotel.

The club has to have some standards and if a player breaks them there has to be repercussions for it.
Plus the thousands of dollars they have cost the club in sponsorship.
Surely they wont go near is now..

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yh I completely understand how big a deal it is if it's true that they did meet the girls at the school while the were representing the club and the game. They 100% deserve to be heavily punished and I honestly wouldn't be that against the club sacking them.

I was just surprised about the legal age being 16, especially with the way things are these days.
They breached the NRL code of conduct which has moral clauses in it when representing the NRL banner.They breached the clubs code of conduct when representing the club. Management had no choice but to stand them down and they will face the wrath of the NRL when the integrity unit finishes their investigation.
This is a huge black eye for for the game and the club itself.The monetary factor alone should see sufficient deterrents applied.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They breached the NRL code of conduct which has moral clauses in it when representing the NRL banner.They breached the clubs code of conduct when representing the club. Management had no choice but to stand them down and they will face the wrath of the NRL when the integrity unit finishes their investigation.
This is a huge black eye for for the game and the club itself.The monetary factor alone should see sufficient deterrents applied.
So when are we sacking them and announcing Fifita and JAC?!

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
So when are we sacking them and announcing Fifita and JAC?!
Mate we would be lucky to get Mickey Mouse and Goofy to the club now.That is another by product of these clowns.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Yes, it may seem surprising, but the law is often about finding the right balance between giving the individual liberty and protecting individual's liberties. 16 year olds are physically ready for sex, and the law reflects that. There are a bunch of qualifiers in the Crimes Act (here for example) that show that the law realises it isn't always that simple though. Additionally, there are I think three other Government agencies other than the Police (who obviously operate based on the Crimes Act), which might have something to say in certain circumstances involving students at school, or kids at home, even if they are of an age of consent. FaCS is one, the Office of the Children's Guardian is another. Employees and volunteers at schools are manadatory reporters of certain activities, usually through the school principal. Clinicians, health care workers, social workers are usually mandatory reporters in their particular contexts as well, for certain behaviours or reports of certain activities.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
it would be naive to think that this is not a common theme in the NRL... these two were just stupid enough to get in trouble for it