Official Luke Thompson Signs for 2021

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We needed a top class young prop, this is a very positive signing, not just the player who has been signed, but the way it was done. There was plenty of competition for this blokes signature, the fact that we landed it means something. Three year contract means we have an upgrade on Tolman, who can either take a reduced contract and be a mentor and bench/back up prop, or try and land a fat ESL contract.
Who else was in competition for Thompson? I heard the Rabbitohs before they signed Arrow, possibly the Titans before they signed Tino and obviously St. Helens as they'd be able to offer more money (but obviously wants to test himself in the NRL). I'm hoping personally Tolman wants to stay in the NRL/Australia and takes a reduced contract for an extra one to two seasons while we're building.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think our fans are that bad in a general sense and context is required. I certainly think most other fanbases aren't as loyal or passionate as ours. I think the last five years have taken a toll on most and led to a lot of frustration. With so much uncertainty, turmoil and politics around the club during that time, i think it's natural for some of the fanbase to become unsettled.

You have to remember, even during Coffs and the cap dramas etc, we've been such a stable, united and relatively successful club for decades that this is foreign territory for most. We weren't used to the political circus like dramas like Parra, Manly, the Tigers and Saints etc are famous for and which we experienced towards the end with Dib, Castle and Hasler..

With the cap space available, youngsters coming through and hopefully more impressive signings to come, I think you'll see a much more united and patient fanbase than in years past. Finding a coach worthy of taking us to the next level (and Pay may yet prove to be that) is the next piece of the puzzle.
Not all of our fans mate but it’s been extremely negative reading a lot of topics and posts here in the past few months. It’s been very hard to take for some of us who are close to the club and knew the work they were doing to make a signing like this. You are one of the only ones to admit you were wrong (when you said about Hill). More good times to come and hopefully this place cheers up a bit and the comedians death riding the club wake up to themselves

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who else was in competition for Thompson? I heard the Rabbitohs before they signed Arrow, possibly the Titans before they signed Tino and obviously St. Helens as they'd be able to offer more money (but obviously wants to test himself in the NRL). I'm hoping personally Tolman wants to stay in the NRL/Australia and takes a reduced contract for an extra one to two seasons while we're building.
Titans (Holbrook was his coach) and Warriors were in it til the end, Souffs were in it for a good while, Bennett has big raps on him, gave him his first start for the Poms. Plenty of ESL interest too.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I get it, I really do and there's varying levels of positivity and negativity. For me in not knowing any "inside sources" it's about what I can see which is why I was starting to question our abilities to lure proper players.

That said I am stoked at this signing and as mentioned already I love pommie (non dirty) forwards, They have a different level of hardness that you don't often see in the NRL forwards. This can only be a good thing and should hopefully make the next signing just that little bit easier. Great news!
As supporters we all offer our views on what we perceive, based on what we see and hear or don't hear or see.

A real lot of fans were questioning and that's to be expected.

Now we have proof that Admin can deliver and as fans we can have some confidence that they can recruit top knotch quality, not just clear out surplus to needs.

TK and the wider Bulldogs camps are happy places for a day or so lol.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
As supporters we all offer our views on what we perceive, based on what we see and hear or don't hear or see.

A real lot of fans were questioning and that's to be expected.

Now we have proof that Admin can deliver and as fans we can have some confidence that they can recruit top knotch quality, not just clear out surplus to needs.

TK and the wider Bulldogs camps are happy places for a day or so lol.
I bet the most relieved today would actually be Dogs management, I'm sure they must have been feeling the pressure of the fans expectations.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
11 clubs and was down to 3 of us in the end (4 including St Helens) was the last report

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He looks like a solid unit and I can’t wait for 2021. But, I haven’t seen Thompson play at all. does anyone know what his strengths are? Can he offload? Some say he is a tolman replacement but I see him as a Klemmer upgrade if he can offload and ball play.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I bet the most relieved today would actually be Dogs management, I'm sure they must have been feeling the pressure of the fans expectations.
Yes true. Makes you happy for them as well.

I'm sure no one had ill will for them on a purely personal level. Fans just wanted results and to begin to believe again.

We've got that with this signing.

Now we'll be following St Helens, agonising on big hits and injuries lol

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yes true. Makes you happy for them as well.

I'm sure no one had ill will for them on a purely personal level. Fans just wanted results and to begin to believe again.

We've got that with this signing.

Now we'll be following St Helens, agonising on big hits and injuries lol
Watching St Helens in the superleague in 2020 wasn’t an option for me until I woke up this morning to this news

How quick things change

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He looks like a solid unit and I can’t wait for 2021. But, I haven’t seen Thompson play at all. does anyone know what his strengths are? Can he offload? Some say he is a tolman replacement but I see him as a Klemmer upgrade if he can offload and ball play.
From what I have seen, strong ball runner, hard to tackle, often takes 4 to stop him, quick play the ball, good leg drive, makes plenty of post contact metres, is very mobile (ie; runs surprisingly fast), has a sidestep, effective tackler, can strip the ball, lots of upper body strength, not a lot of offloads that I have seen. With my limited viewing he looks like a young Sam Burgess in that he easily stands out from the other forwards in the ESL. Given a full preseason of NRL level training he's going to be hard for the opposition to handle.

Go Dogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Watching St Helens in the superleague in 2020 wasn’t an option for me until I woke up this morning to this news

How quick things change
My second team (for a year)haha.

All jokes aside they seem like a professional outfit worthy of our support.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The board are obviously looking good for the upcoming election
Having Luke join our club is a clear endorsement on the entire management in particular Andrew Hill & his recruitment team
Keeping it completely away from the media and no internal leaks
That speaks volumes
On a side note it’s no coincidence that two candidates have withdrawn.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From what I have seen, strong ball runner, hard to tackle, often takes 4 to stop him, quick play the ball, good leg drive, makes plenty of post contact metres, is very mobile (ie; runs surprisingly fast), has a sidestep, effective tackler, can strip the ball, lots of upper body strength, not a lot of offloads that I have seen. With my limited viewing he looks like a young Sam Burgess in that he easily stands out from the other forwards in the ESL. Given a full preseason of NRL level training he's going to be hard for the opposition to handle.

Go Dogs
You just described Superman

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great acquisition for our club,a younger and bigger version,of james graham,but quicker,saw him in the end of year tests,and stood out for the pommy team,great buy

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I got movement in my pants watching this one!
In some ways he won't be able to get away with the same things in NRL that he does in SL. Things like dominating, running sideways etc. The things I do like is how he keeps his legs pumping after he hits the line and he makes the players tackle him, he doesn't give it to them easy. I believe he has a huge motor too. I think after about 2 years in the NRL we will see his best after he learns the lines etc. Great buy.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
A young Sam Burgess?? Man that’s a big call. I can’t really argue because I haven’t seen much of this dude, but I hope you’re right!