Michael Cheika joins the Roosters

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seriously???? I wish them all the success Alan Jones had.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...ika-joins-sydney-roosters-coaching-staff.html

Rugby League: Former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika joins Sydney Roosters coaching staff

Former Wallabies coach Michael Cheika has made a surprising code switch from rugby union to league.

Cheika has joined the Sydney Roosters coaching staff and will work as the club's coaching consultant, while spending time working on the teams attacking skills.

Cheika confirmed his new role to the Daily Telegraph, saying he's loving every moment of it.

The 52-year-old has been without a job since quitting as coach of Australia's men's rugby union team after a failed World Cup campaign, which ended with a 40-16 defeat by England in the quarter-finals.

He had been linked to jobs in France, but he's decided to remain in Australia and work alongside close friend and Roosters head coach Trent Robinson.

"Trent asked me to do some very specific stuff with a couple of the coaches and specific areas," Cheika told the Daily Telegraph.

"He has got me on a few projects. I've loved it. I was really honoured that they thought I could contribute. I want to make sure the stuff I'm doing is contributing the way Trent wants me to."

Cheika has been with the Roosters for the last month and has been impressed with what he's seen.

The Roosters have won the last two NRL Premierships, and 15 in total in the club's 111 year history.

"You can see why they've been successful because of their culture. It’s nice for me to be around. It was pouring rain the other day [when we were on the training paddock].

"Just seeing the guys go hard, it was nice to be out there. If I can contribute to what they are hoping to do as a club, I'll be stoked."

Robinson said he's enjoyed learning from Cheika.

"He is helping push myself and the assistant coaches to improve and challenging our ideas and helping push us again in 2020," Robinson told the Daily Telegraph.

"I have always valued his advice. That will continue. He will obviously go off into different things at different times but it will be good to have him around and challenging us.

"The man can coach. He has won a Super Rugby title, a Heineken Cup and coached in a World Cup final. He has a wealth of knowledge.

"Cheiks [Cheika] loves the footy environment. He is a rugby union coach, but he grew up in the eastern suburbs and he just loves footy, whether it’s union or league.

The Roosters open their 2020 NRL campaign against the Penrith Panthers on March 14.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I will forever hate the Roosters but credit where it's due they are a well run club always exploring and looking for an advantage.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
But another club gets their man lol, dud or not !!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That would be a bizarre career move.. Go from coach of the Wallabies to an assistant for an NRL team..

I'm sure the second he gets offered a better Rugby coaching role, he'll jump at the chance and that this is just a short term thing.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He probably is so fucked up from having to deal with Raelene Vicar of Dibley as a boss that he just decided, fuck it, I’ll do anything but work in rah rah.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He probably is so fucked up from having to deal with Raelene Vicar of Dibley as a boss that he just decided, fuck it, I’ll do anything but work in rah rah.

Raelene hasn't changed much

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm confused, what does Cheika know about salary cap rorting?

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Another coach we missed out on.
#durrr #payout #durrr

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I will forever hate the Roosters but credit where it's due they are a well run club always exploring and looking for an advantage.
Except... that are not a well-run club. They are a well-run cheating club.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yeah all is fair in love and war, I wish we used some of their dirty tricks.
I wouldn’t want tainted premierships.
Imagine being a roosters fans and always knowing in the back of your mind you only won because you cheated

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn’t want tainted premierships.
Imagine being a roosters fans and always knowing in the back of your mind you only won because you cheated
We call it cheating but they call it good Business. Besides I remember seeing our beloved Peter Moore meeting Warren Ryan in the school car park of Belmore Boys High and a brown paper bag being exchanged. Next thing you know bobs your uncle Ryan is announced the Bulldogs coach.

Last edited:

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
What he never trained in the rain before?

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Roosters will be lining up a move for Folau with the union connection.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That would be a bizarre career move.. Go from coach of the Wallabies to an assistant for an NRL team..

I'm sure the second he gets offered a better Rugby coaching role, he'll jump at the chance and that this is just a short term thing.
It doesn't really sound like a career move - he's just being contracted to work on a few things. I'd imagine its only a part time role, which he would end if a good rugby gig came along.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We call it cheating but they call it good Business. Besides I remember seeing our beloved Peter Moore meeting Warren Ryan in the school car park of Belmore Boys High and a brown paper bag being exchanged. Next thing you know bobs your uncle Ryan is announced the Bulldogs coach.
I was at Belmore Boys at the time. I remember the Newtown boys coming to the school for a meeting just before the NSWRL annihilated the Jets from the comp.

But seriously.....................Con's my Uncle, not Bob. Who is this Bob you talk of?

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
HandsomeIllustriousBird-size_restricted.gif At least he's got his golf club ready for payday at the annual Roosters golf day rort.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe he forgot to take his lunch to school