TV Ratings Plummeting

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ockwaves-through-the-nrl-20190818-p52i8x.html

No surprise here... been predicted on TK for years.

The figures that should send shockwaves through the NRL
By Danny Weidler

These are the figures that should send shockwaves through the NRL.
And it could hurt them in the long run where it matters: in the back pocket when it comes time to negotiate a new TV deal.
People are turning off the game, abandoning rugby league in droves, in the past month in particular. Free-to-air and pay TV NRL audiences have dropped by more than 3 million compared with the same time last year.

But the drop-off has been nothing short of alarming in the past month, during which a series of contentious decisions by referees, the match review committee and the judiciary have driven fans away from the game. Audiences dropped significantly in rounds 18, 19 and 20 and by a further 3 per cent last weekend even though there were two blockbuster games featuring the top four teams.

During the past month Viliame Kikau has been suspended for a seemingly minor late hit, Sam Burgess was freed to play despite a tackle that knocked out Matt Moylan, Jake Trbojevicescaped penalty for a dangerous tackle and Michael Gordon received a heavier fine than Burgess for leaving the field too slowly after being sin binned

During last weekend’s round, Luke Garner and Chris Smith were sin-binned and charged for relatively minor late hits, while Nelson Asofa-Solomona escaped sanction for what looked suspiciously like a crusher tackle in the Storm’s match against Souths. There is a growing feeling among fans that some teams are getting favoured treatment and the lower-ranked teams are not getting a fair go. It is turning fans off the game in record numbers.
If anyone needed further proof of this they only have to look across the ditch to New Zealand, where ratings are down a staggering 15 per cent this year. And, yet, through all this, the game’s administration continues to do nothing to halt the decline.
Any other business that suffered a sudden downturn of up to 13 per cent would put in place emergency measures to stop the bleeding.

But not the NRL. Their only response is that there will be a full review of the judiciary and match review committee at the end of the season – as there is every season.

The Australian Rugby League Commission has the task of securing the best possible broadcast deal in the coming years.
The longer they continue to sit back and let disgruntled supporters abandon the game, the less that deal will be worth.
‘‘The top three highest rating shows on free-to-air television this year are State of Origin,’’ an NRL spokesman said. ‘‘No other sport is in the top 10, and 62 of the top 100 shows on Fox Sports are NRL and NRL content. Importantly our percentage of market share continues to grow.’’

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep, no surprises.

Our game is in a very sad state. Gus said it best on Friday night... "I want to know what the NRL thinks is the pure game of rugby league that they're looking for".

The NRL doesn't even know what it wants anymore. Just brings in a new patch fix which in turn creates 5 new problems.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Best article he has ever written. Must be a ghost writer

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fed up with the great debate, its affecting the quality of the product.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like alot on here have said .... I used to enjoy watching the NRL.... these days I only watch bulldogs games.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm surprised it's taken this long for the media to realise and report what is so obvious.

Even more staggering is that Greenberg, Beattie and co haven't been fired which proves just how flawed the very make up of the so called commission is.

The clubs need to take matters into their own hands and demand change and threaten to form their own comp.

We need more leadership in this sport... There's none at the NRL and nowhere near enough at club level to enforce the change that's needed.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The author of the article fails to mentions that journalist pricks such as himself have turned people away from the game with the shit he writes.
The asshole excels in his role as the PR whore to SBW/ Mundine/ Nasser , but fails as a reputable Rugby league journalist.
A grub of the highest order.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Until the fans have faith that all teams are treated equally and competing on a level playing field and not against inept/corrupt refs, bunker, MRC, HQ, Murdoch Media, Ch9 Media then forget it.

The product is tainted and most diehard fans agree its been poorly run into the ground and are over it.

There's no, or little, excitment in watching the wrestle, and barging hit ups....my God imagine if a player came along like Turvey with his chip and chase nowadays...would get smashed or the game is so structured now that it wouldnt be an acceptable % tactic.

Mainly the low standard referreeing and obvious favouritism with penalties, salary cap/third party, lopsided suspensions that have ruined watching games other than Bulldogs for me. I couldn't justify adding to DT/Murdoch for Fox so dropped that.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All Telstra mobile customers (Pre-paid or on a Plan) watch all games live via the NRL app for free.
I prefer to watch it on my terms.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
- Refs suck
- rules suck
- No biff sucks as everyone niggles like fairies and then do group hugs
- Big hits seem illegal now
- Corrupt as hell teams rotting the caps and illegal tactics
- some players get preferred treatment which is bullshit
- Some shit ass teams with no talent I.e Titans
- empty stadiums with no atmosphere
- virtue signalling rounds like women in league when players bash women and no one gives a shit about it

Game is trash compared to 20 years ago. Every round there is maybe one game which is worth watching, most games are shit.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Get rid of that fuckhead Greenberg. That’s 90% of the problem.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Same thing happened at our club and it's what you get when you have a bunch of wankers who are only in it for power and/or to make money instead of loving the sport. Show Greenturd and Beattie the door and it will go a long way already to fixing the problem.

Barba's Barber

puppy power
Reaction score
afl is 800% more exciting
I watch way more AFL than NRL games these days.
And even teams I do not follow.
I may get back on the NRL train when Bulldogs are contenders again but I am sick of watching the Storm/Roosters wank fest.
Greensburg is a cancer on the comp

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Here is couple of my quotes from the past :cry:
* Rugby League is dead...long live the National Rorts League :fearscream::rage:
* Rugby League is dying...and the Refs are Having a Party :fearscream::rage:

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
- Refs suck
- rules suck
- No biff sucks as everyone niggles like fairies and then do group hugs
- Big hits seem illegal now
- Corrupt as hell teams rotting the caps and illegal tactics
- some players get preferred treatment which is bullshit
- Some shit ass teams with no talent I.e Titans
- empty stadiums with no atmosphere
- virtue signalling rounds like women in league when players bash women and no one gives a shit about it

Game is trash compared to 20 years ago. Every round there is maybe one game which is worth watching, most games are shit.
This is the best summary I have seen of the current state of the game.