Enough is enough

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It is important to think about the fact that the Bunnies have troops that should run rings around our own. We have lost Klemmer, the Morris brothers, and have a team of inexperienced kids. We were up against the team third in the comp, coached by Wayne Bennett; and we beat them two tries to zip. Look at the rosters and coaches of the other teams we've just knocked off, then stop and reflect whether Pay played some part in it.
I can only go on what I see . What I saw was leadership from Foran and DWZ. Individual brilliance by Lewis and CHN .
It's assumed that Pay coached this into them but I doubt you can coach that type of stuff.

Lewis was seen copying Forans kick to touch line in the dying minutes so yeah it's hard to say who should really get the credit

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So what's all the paylovers saying now about the shit roster that the poor bloke has to work with.

The players blew that theory out of the water tonight.

They can play but a lot of you just wanted to make excuses for the coach.

It has always been a combination of factors but primarily that Pay wasn't getting their best out of them...and DWZ has given them direction and confidence by example.
I wish the squad had gained a bit of confidence in their first few games. We had a solid hitout against Melbourne early on. But inexperienced players can tend to let the situation get on top of them and play panicked football. It's only logical that with more games they're going to gain some composure under pressure. The referees in my opinion shat on us early on as well. More than one game was shaped by piggyback penalties keeping our opponents in the game and destroying our momentum with bullshit calls.

I'm not a massive fan of Pay. But he's been up against it from the moment he stepped into the head coaches role.

I see plenty of people bashing his team selections. But among those, there's no general consensus on the teams he should be naming week to week. Just a lot of different ideas about how us amateurs might do things differently. Everyone has different views on what each player brings to the team. For the most part people tend to not debate the pro's and cons of players on here anymore. Just saying player (insert any name here) is shit and player (insert another name here) would dominate.

Realistically, the squad has been short of tested players in the spine as well as having one centre/wing pairing that required some shuffling to get the defence right. Our forward pack has had a number of big names moved on too.

At the end of the day we have a budget coach working with a budget roster. I'm not going to be overly critical of either when they're finally getting their act together. The squad this year was always going to be a work in progress. The coach is hopefully still learning from experience too. We weren't a realistic chance of threatening for the premiership against some teams that have big budget rosters and who seem to get all the benefits from referees. I understand that people are unhappy with our season. But it's a bit annoying to see people seemingly getting upset that we're scraping some wins together.

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m sick of seeing these #payout hashtags...
Fuck off or support the team, regardless on your thoughts of pay...
I was just having similar words with a dude on the Meaney thread..

Show support for the dogs and the winning culture, and the rebuild that is obviously working..

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just having similar words with a dude on the Meaney thread..

Show support for the dogs and the winning culture, and the rebuild that is obviously working..
I agree... put anger for pay aside, we beat eels next week we are two points from the eight...

Players are backing pay and buying in, maybe we all should as well

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree... put anger for pay aside, we beat eels next week we are two points from the eight...

Players are backing pay and buying in, maybe we all should as well
It does look like players have bought into something Pay is doing. Because, imo, we look like a different side in defense. Even some of our attacking shapes look good.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even the way Foran spoke about Pay and the end goal made me think players are buying in.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It does look like players have bought into something Pay is doing. Because, imo, we look like a different side in defense. Even some of our attacking shapes look good.
Steve Antonelli is getting more involved. The other imposter has been shuffled to the side and it is working.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I wish the squad had gained a bit of confidence in their first few games. We had a solid hitout against Melbourne early on. But inexperienced players can tend to let the situation get on top of them and play panicked football. It's only logical that with more games they're going to gain some composure under pressure. The referees in my opinion shat on us early on as well. More than one game was shaped by piggyback penalties keeping our opponents in the game and destroying our momentum with bullshit calls.

I'm not a massive fan of Pay. But he's been up against it from the moment he stepped into the head coaches role.

I see plenty of people bashing his team selections. But among those, there's no general consensus on the teams he should be naming week to week. Just a lot of different ideas about how us amateurs might do things differently. Everyone has different views on what each player brings to the team. For the most part people tend to not debate the pro's and cons of players on here anymore. Just saying player (insert any name here) is shit and player (insert another name here) would dominate.

Realistically, the squad has been short of tested players in the spine as well as having one centre/wing pairing that required some shuffling to get the defence right. Our forward pack has had a number of big names moved on too.

At the end of the day we have a budget coach working with a budget roster. I'm not going to be overly critical of either when they're finally getting their act together. The squad this year was always going to be a work in progress. The coach is hopefully still learning from experience too. We weren't a realistic chance of threatening for the premiership against some teams that have big budget rosters and who seem to get all the benefits from referees. I understand that people are unhappy with our season. But it's a bit annoying to see people seemingly getting upset that we're scraping some wins together.
Completely agree 79 but some are just blaming the roster, and not the coaching, which is not correct nor a fair assessment for our poor season.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely agree 79 but some are just blaming the roster, and not the coaching, which is not correct nor a fair assessment for our poor season.
Exactly this....... good post. Wont matter they will be happy with a few wins end of next season.
I did quote though in off season pay would have to get this side to 9th or 8th for me to be happy with his extra year.
And hes getting closer.
I cant help but worry about the begginning of next season if pay approaches it like the last 2.
We have a better squad than our players get credit for.
But somehow we are labelled pay haters and whole top 30 need replacing.The way i see it where supporting the whole playing group and questioning only one man. The pay lovers are rubbishing every player in the squad to support one man.
Then question others of there love and support of the club. Crazy.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Post game when Lewis was interviewed he was asked about what turned things around and he said it was the same as last season...so that atleast backs up my point.

I said it the previous thread I made that this squad is capable of performing well and winning games because they showed it to us during the backend of last season and this season...so the constant hiding behind our roster as an excuse is just bs. We aren't competing for the Premiership but we can be better and that's my whole point. Get these performances and results early in the season and I'll say "Pay can fucking get the job done" and that's that.
While I agree there is an element of “there’s no pressure” at the back end of the season, there are a few differences compared to last years run of wins and this years.

Last year it was throwing the ball around willy nilly, this year we seem to have a tougher mindset built on defense. It’s a sign of growing in maturity and the young players gaining FG experience. Last year we finished on 18 points. This year we are already on 18 competition points with three more rounds to go. If we finish on 22 or 24 points this year, then the team has improved and not gone backwards to be honest. It is now a real possibility that we may finish the season between 9th to 11th. This is what the Pay haters wanted, Pay haters stated “we’re not a top 8 squad, but a better coach would at least have us coming 9th, 10th or 11th”. Remembering we were tipped to finish 16th at the beginning of the year. Now the goal is to go even better next year and force ourselves into the eight. If we are improving every year then there is no reason why Pay cannot be a long term coach. But as always time will tell.

Last edited:

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So what's all the paylovers saying now about the shit roster that the poor bloke has to work with.

The players blew that theory out of the water tonight.

They can play but a lot of you just wanted to make excuses for the coach.

It has always been a combination of factors but primarily that Pay wasn't getting their best out of them...and DWZ has given them direction and confidence by example.
Players are slowly gaining FG experience champ. When people say shit roster, what they mean is a bunch of rookies. They are slowing becoming experienced, and there getting used to the grind

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Garbage. Play good footy when it matters and I'll praise Pay, couldn't care less who the coach is as long as they do this
I can’t help it Nabs, I actually do care who the coach is. An ex bulldog premiership winner, also coaching a team to a premiership, makes me feel warm and fuzzy :grinning:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Players are slowly gaining FG experience champ. When people say shit roster, what they mean is a bunch of rookies. They are slowing becoming experienced, and there getting used to the grind
C'mon champ bunch of rookies?

Only Meaney, Lewis, RT, C Smith would be classed as rookies.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Exactly this....... good post. Wont matter they will be happy with a few wins end of next season.
I did quote though in off season pay would have to get this side to 9th or 8th for me to be happy with his extra year.
And hes getting closer.
I cant help but worry about the begginning of next season if pay approaches it like the last 2.
We have a better squad than our players get credit for.
But somehow we are labelled pay haters and whole top 30 need replacing.The way i see it where supporting the whole playing group and questioning only one man. The pay lovers are rubbishing every player in the squad to support one man.
Then question others of there love and support of the club. Crazy.
Well said.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Fittler said today that Bulldogs going well and coming for teams. But he then said you've got to give credit to those teams above them cos they've won when the pressure was on at the front end of the season and the Dogs were terrible.

Got a point in a way.

But the comp for Top 8 is over the 25 rounds so just as legitimate of us to finish well (even if the pressure is off us).

What it does highlight is you must be ready to win from Round 1.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
While I agree there is an element of “there’s no pressure” at the back end of the season, there are a few differences compared to last years run of wins and this years.

Last it was throwing the ball around willy nilly, this year we seem to have a tougher mindset built on defense. It’s a sign of growing in maturity and the young players gaining FG experience. Last year we finished on 18 points. This year we are already on 18 competition points with three more rounds to go. If we finish on 22 or 24 points this year, then the team has improved and not gone backwards to be honest. It is now a real possibility that we may finish the season between 9th to 11th. This is what the Pay haters wanted, Pay haters stated “we’re not a top 8 squad, but a better coach would at least have us coming 9th, 10th or 11th”. Remembering we were tipped to finish 16th at the beginning of the year. Now the goal is to go even better next year and force ourselves into the eight. If we are improving ever year then there is no reason why Pay cannot be a long term coach. But as always time will tell.
That's a fair point, but at the end of the day we didn't perform when it mattered and left everything too late. There could be so many reasons for this so all we can do is speculate.

The board have given Pay every chance possible to succeed, he simply needs to get the performances come rounds 1-10 next season. I don't want to fucking sit here going through this for a 3rd season and hearing the same excuses again from the same posters.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
C'mon champ bunch of rookies?

Only Meaney, Lewis, RT, C Smith would be classed as rookies.
We had the least number of FG games played collectively compared to other teams. It’s a young squad. At one stage we had a spine of Meaney, JMK, Cogger and Lewis for a combined total of less than 100 first grade games. Sure with Foran and DWZ added to that spine it changes but so have our results.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you love the team give the club and coach a go.

The ‘fair weather fan’ thing is obnoxious. There was a time when Coach Steve Folkes used the same expression because he was under pressure. Then one day he was a hero (again) and will always be.

Pay was a great and extremely tough player who as a coach inherited a financial disaster. Basically he’s coaching a bunch of young kids.

Kids who at the moment are stringing a few wins together. It’s great Thanks to a great club and a team and coach doing their best.