Official Round 21 - Bulldogs vs Tigers - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry mate but I disagree. Tigers squad is far superior to ours, as is every other squad in the NRL.

Tigers have a far far superior spine in Brooks Benji and Farrah. They also have Matulino, Packer, Fanua and Jennings out. On top of this Reynolds can't even make the 17. He would be a starter in our team under any coach.

Also if Maguire is such a "good coach" then how did he lose to Pay earlier this year.

Don't let your hatred for Pay cloud your judgement.
I dont hate Pay at all tbh.

All those players you named are HASBEENS and will retire or be sent packing to England.

Just lol at their sqaud being "far superior" to ours.

Sorry misread, the spine is better but not that much better.

The point in making is there are three teams with absolute shit house rosters in the comp. Tigers, Us and the Titans. With a good coach the Tigers are fighting and IN the 8.

Imo if we had a GOOD coach he could get more out our team than Pay has.

Last edited:

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I dont hate Pay at all tbh.

All those players you named are HASBEENS and will retire or be sent packing to England.

Just lol at their sqaud being "far superior" to ours.

Sorry misread, the spine is better but not that much better.

The point in making is there are three teams with absolute shit house rosters in the comp. Tigers, Us and the Titans. With a good coach the Tigers are fighting and IN the 8.

Imo if we had a GOOD coach he could get more out our team than Pay has.
Not to get into an argument for the sake of an argument but both the titans and tigers have superior squads. Make a team of 17 players between the 3 clubs and I can't see more than 2 Bulldogs players make it. I'm not supporting Dean Pay on my argument as a coach who is better than Maguire but to compare the coaches on the basis on equal squads is not a valid argument as the squads are not equal. That's the point I was trying to make.

Dean Pay isn't the worst coach in the NRL as that belongs to McGregor easily. However we do have the worst squad. Easily also. Whether Pay gets a chance with a better squad or not, I don't care really, as long as we win, but to judge him on this squad is unfair. Imo.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not to get into an argument for the sake of an argument but both the titans and tigers have superior squads. Make a team of 17 players between the 3 clubs and I can't see more than 2 Bulldogs players make it. I'm not supporting Dean Pay on my argument as a coach who is better than Maguire but to compare the coaches on the basis on equal squads is not a valid argument as the squads are not equal. That's the point I was trying to make.

Dean Pay isn't the worst coach in the NRL as that belongs to McGregor easily. However we do have the worst squad. Easily also. Whether Pay gets a chance with a better squad or not, I don't care really, as long as we win, but to judge him on this squad is unfair. Imo.
I disagree. I think our squad is competitive with the Tigers and Titans. I actually did a combined 17 with the Tigers this week and it was like 45% Bulldogs and 55% Tigers players. On paper this should be a really close game. Also just regarding the Titans, they're stuck with the roster they have for the most part, whereas ours will be improving next year, but mainly in 2021. They're in a much worse position then us, which is really hard to believe when you think about it.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I disagree. I think our squad is competitive with the Tigers and Titans. I actually did a combined 17 with the Tigers this week and it was like 45% Bulldogs and 55% Tigers players. On paper this should be a really close game.
That's the team this week. Put Tigers injured players who have played this year into the side and then tell me it's even. Matulino, Fanua, Packer and Jennings.

Do the same with the Titans team. They have major players out injured. Plus the Taylor saga.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That's the team this week. Put Tigers injured players who have played this year into the side and then tell me it's even. Matulino, Fanua, Packer and Jennings.

Do the same with the Titans team. They have major players out injured. Plus the Taylor saga.
Jennings only player there that would get into the side. They're trying to shop Matulino and Packer around. Fonua's not good enough to get in the 17 with their back line. Titans are missing Arrow which is massive, but I think our line up stacks up better to the Titans then Tigers anyways. Also https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/06/26/mahe-fonua-to-depart-wests-tigers-at-seasons-end/ . You might be a Bulldogs fan, but you lose a lot of credit ability talking about other sides with the reply you gave. Also Taylor saga nowhere as bad as our situation with Foran, at least Taylor can get onto the field (and could of even with the reason they put out).

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Jennings only player there that would get into the side. They're trying to shop Matulino and Packer around. Fonua's not good enough to get in the 17 with their back line. Titans are missing Arrow which is massive, but I think our line up stacks up better to the Titans then Tigers anyways. Also https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2019/06/26/mahe-fonua-to-depart-wests-tigers-at-seasons-end/ . You might be a Bulldogs fan, but you lose a lot of credit ability talking about other sides with the reply you gave.
  • Jai Arrow (ankle, round 21)
  • AJ Brimson (hip, round 21)
  • Michael Gordon (hamstring, TBC)
  • Dale Copley (knee, indefinite)
  • Ryan James (knee, season)
  • Shannon Boyd (shoulder, season)

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Only 3 players worth keeping in the Titans, 2 of them on that list, but I'd still put Bulldogs players over other players on that list and players currently playing so I don't really get your point? Saying only 2 Bulldogs players would make a combined 17 with those squads is ridiculous. Also cool you listed players injured for the Titans, but for the Tigers there is only 1 player injured that would get into the team and like I said 45% of players in a combined 17 are Bulldogs players imo.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Only 3 players worth keeping in the Titans, 2 of them on that list, but I'd still put Bulldogs players over other players on that list and players currently playing so I don't really get your point? Saying only 2 Bulldogs players would make a combined 17 with those squads is ridiculous.
Just because a player is being shopped around it doesn't make them a bad player. There are a number of reasons players get shopped around. I honestly wouldn't keep any of our squad if I had a full cap. That's what I think of our squad. Yes even Jackson. As much as I love him for less money there are much better options out there.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Just because a player is being shopped around it doesn't make them a bad player. There are a number of reasons players get shopped around. I honestly wouldn't keep any of our squad if I had a full cap. That's what I think of our squad. Yes even Jackson. As much as I love him for less money there are much better options out there.
Currently i'd keep DWZ, Hopoate, Reimis, Cogger, Lewis, Tolman, CHN (contracted past 2021), Jackson, JMK - bench, Napa - bench (contracted past 2021) and Elliott - bench. I'd just reassess how much they're on and recruit in the other areas. Either a Fullback or Winger (depends where DWZ is playing), a Centre, a Hooker, a Prop, a Second Rower (Stimson's signed) and another Prop for the bench.

Last edited:

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah that's another good option. Smith would still be on the bench tho. RFM another player we need to shop around to get some extra $ for next years squad tho.
I thought there was a story that RFM was already going to either the tiger's or saints.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elliot C Smith and Meaney need to go, we are seriously carrying these three. How does Okunbor not come in for Meaney?
I think if Meaney bulks up he'll be a good winger, and C Smith has a good passing game which I saw when we played the rorters, were not gonna win the comp this season or next, these players will get better except for Elliott, he's had his chance.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think if Meaney bulks up he'll be a good winger, and C Smith has a good passing game which I saw when we played the rorters, were not gonna win the comp this season or next, these players will get better except for Elliott, he's had his chance.
We have money to spend so if we're keeping DWZ at Fullback no reason why we shouldn't go for Oates, Cotric or Vunivalu. Oates is the best option out of them 3, but he has to be signed for next year and I'm not sure if we have room in the cap if we're also going after Koroisau and/or Ramien. I'm not saying Meaney can't improve, but if we have the money might as well spend it on a premium player.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Fair enough mate.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Currently i'd keep DWZ, Hopoate, Reimis, Cogger, Lewis, Tolman, CHN (contracted past 2021), Jackson, JMK - bench, Napa - bench (contracted past 2021) and Elliott - bench. I'd just reassess how much they're on and recruit in the other areas. Either a Fullback or Winger (depends where DWZ is playing), a Centre, a Hooker, a Prop, a Second Rower (Stimson's signed) and another Prop for the bench.
Basically agree with that assessment. I have second thoughts about Hopoate though. His defence is about 3/10 and his positional play and attack about 5/10.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Elliot C Smith and Meaney need to go, we are seriously carrying these three. How does Okunbor not come in for Meaney?
Meaney scored his first ever try in our colours out of x amount of games

Put him in the Elliott category Pay ain’t ever dropping him

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I heard Dragons, but it's been quiet for a while.
We were going to let him go before the June deadline but RFM and the Dragons couldn't come to an agreement within their contract. No idea if they are trying to rectify it now for next year or the ship has sailed.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Meaney scored his first ever try in our colours out of x amount of games

Put him in the Elliott category Pay ain’t ever dropping him
Yeah it's pretty bad that a fullback/winger takes this long to get his first try...like seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.