Pay has to go because he cannot attract decent players

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The results have been mediocre this year but Pay has to go because he cannot attract decent players to the club. There are many players that we have been after but we only land second rate players never any decent players.

The board has to face this fact and get a experienced first grade coach. If the board does not want to face it the members should vote them out.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For me he has to go for his inability to develop players.

His chopping and changing has not helped the team at all. And then questionable selections like Meaney on the wing where he has struggled.

Lewis in then out then in again. All questionable at best.

The dropping of ogden and Martin and CHN. Fair enough if one player lets the team down then you drop them. Our team is shit so why make an example with individual players.

It’s plain and simple. He is out of his depth. He was never a head coach and the previous board jumped the gun in signing him to save their ass and make it look like they were changing for the better.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I guarantee that the minute they fire Pay and announce Holbrook, other players will be much more interested in signing with the club. No more signings should be made until the coaching situation is sorted. Who knows what the fuck is taking them so long to resolve it already.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The results have been mediocre this year but Pay has to go because he cannot attract decent players to the club. There are many players that we have been after but we only land second rate players never any decent players.

The board has to face this fact and get a experienced first grade coach. If the board does not want to face it the members should vote them out.
How on Earth do you expect us to sign decent players with no cap space?

Forewarning: It's going to be much like this next year.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
My confusion is mainly with the chopping and changing. He's had Harawira-Naera, Faitala-Mariner, Lewis, Lichaa, Holland, Montoya and Ogden in particular in and out of the side because of defensive/offensive deficiencies, yet he's been totally fine with leaving Meaney in First Grade even though he hasn't scored a single try, broken a tackle and defensively is awful on the wing. It all just baffles me.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My confusion is mainly with the chopping and changing. He's had Harawira-Naera, Faitala-Mariner, Lewis, Lichaa, Holland, Montoya and Ogden in particular in and out of the side because of defensive/offensive deficiencies, yet he's been totally fine with leaving Meaney in First Grade even though he hasn't scored a single try, broken a tackle and defensively is awful on the wing. It all just baffles me.
Not to mention Elliott who plays regardless of how many tackles he misses, dumb penalties he gives away or how many errors he makes.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay aside our whole recruitment system is still a shambles..

Cleal was a dud under Des.. nothing has improved since..

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
But he signed DWZ over a cup of coffee.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you it was because the tigers weren't able to make cap space or he didn't want to move to Nth Qld, it was all the chat over a coffee.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But he signed DWZ over a cup of coffee.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you it was because the tigers weren't able to make cap space or he didn't want to move to Nth Qld, it was all the chat over a coffee.
DWZ was probably impressed that Dean stroked his ego and still payed for the coffee :grinning:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
To be fair who have we not gotten that we could have?

Recall that we are still in dire straits for the cap.
Dont forget we are still footing the bill for Woods and Mbye this year.

When we lost Klemme, we got an equal in Napa within the week.

And despite limited finances, we got Joe Stimson who is young hot property, and stole DWZ under the nose of everyone.

I cant recall one player who has gone 'yeah fuk dat' to us since Pay came over, at least not any different to anyone else.

If we had an open cheque and players were refusing big money to sign elsewhere, thenyou would have a point. That isnt happening.

If you want to judge Pay on that topic, we need another 16 months to monitor straight up no bullshit.

Im not a Pay lover.
I am judging him on his decisions, what he has done to Holland, and how he has moved him pillar to post. and why he thought to retain Lichaa as 'number 1 priority signing' for 2 years.
Even if you felt Lichaa was misused, he didnt need a two year deal. Could have got rid of him at the beginning of this year if he had any sense. Not like clubs were lining up. Also he underused Reimis who is a top 5 winger in the NRL.

But he has done some god stuff as well, we play a better brand of footy and he holds playa's to account. Maybe too much. He just stuffs up pivotal decisions.

-Nasheed.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Once pay has gone (still praying)

And we sign someone the peeks players Interest, it will be a step in the right direction, that the first goal..!!!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
You do realise a reason the above list chopped and changed a lot is most of them have been injured. RfM, Montoya Lewis, Holland, CHN...all had injuries, a couple more than once. Outside your list Okunbor has been injured, affecting selections

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
To be fair who have we not gotten that we could have?

Recall that we are still in dire straits for the cap.
Dont forget we are still footing the bill for Woods and Mbye this year.

When we lost Klemme, we got an equal in Napa within the week.

And despite limited finances, we got Joe Stimson who is young hot property, and stole DWZ under the nose of everyone.

I cant recall one player who has gone 'yeah fuk dat' to us since Pay came over, at least not any different to anyone else.

If we had an open cheque and players were refusing big money to sign elsewhere, thenyou would have a point. That isnt happening.

If you want to judge Pay on that topic, we need another 16 months to monitor straight up no bullshit.

Im not a Pay lover.
I am judging him on his decisions, what he has done to Holland, and how he has moved him pillar to post. and why he thought to retain Lichaa as 'number 1 priority signing' for 2 years.
Even if you felt Lichaa was misused, he didnt need a two year deal. Could have got rid of him at the beginning of this year if he had any sense. Not like clubs were lining up. Also he underused Reimis who is a top 5 winger in the NRL.

But he has done some god stuff as well, we play a better brand of footy and he holds playa's to account. Maybe too much. He just stuffs up pivotal decisions.

-Nasheed.
Sorry mate but it's like you have 2 different personalities. I read that and I find that I agree and disagree with the stuff in it. Obviously that's cool as that's the point of a forum.

Napa was definitely not and equal signing however cheaper yes. A lot of players with more talent have been fuked around by Pay for lesser players. Lucky Lewis get's to return after being fuked around and injured straight into a Rorters massacre. We have seen maybe 2 games of a better brand of footy but largely it is worse, certainly is defence wise and well attacking for that matter too. He holds some players to account yet others have immunity and unfortunately the immunity guys are our worst players.

Pay may not have "the" players however he does have players and a coaches job is to improve said players, not one player is better for the past 2 years! Anyways hoping this is over soon.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The recruitment has been hit and miss since the previous idiots/admin were arseoled, some good some bad. With Nov 1 close now this is make or break time, we fans know it and current admin know it, keeping Pay is a massive gamble and it seems they can't pull the trigger. Even closer is Holbrook deadline of 1/8 to stay or come to us, maybe deal is done, maybe not. The facts are simple, Holbrook is better credentialled and probably will help attract the guns we need after 1/11 for 21 season, CA and LA if you haven't done the deal yet, get AH to phone Holbrook NOW and just make it happen, fuck hurting Pay feelings.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Players these days will follow the $$$. When we have the money we will attract marquee players.

With limited money I haven't been impressed with Pay's recruitment, but the club hasn't treated some players all that well the past few years and I don't think that helps either.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
The facts are simple, Holbrook is better credentialled
Is he? How many NRL games has he coached? He might have better potential but he does not have better credentials then Pay, the guy is coaching the Melbourne Storm of the Super League, you cannot compare that with coaching the over the cap, no room, having to shed players mess the Bulldogs have become thanks to the old coach and board.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I too, think pay’s on his last legs. But in regards to this thread, which “decent players” were available, that we wanted, but didn’t land ?