Telegraph Call Out Bunker Blunder

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
What amazes me is that they seem to miss things with 1 million bucks worth of equipment that someone watching a $200 tv can see

Last edited:

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Grey area because in the rules you can strip the ball (with multiple players in the tackle) when an opponent is attempting to ground the ball for a try.
Must be over the try line, not in the field of play!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's only the Bulldogs...not important enough to worry about. Promotion for Klein.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There is no other explanation for this stuff up other than those in the bunker didnt know the rules and on top of that couldn't access the information in a gazillion dollar facility purposely built for the task. Its just mind boggling.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
We have really been on the backend of some monstrous dud calls this season. And so blatantly obvious too.

So many games are won theses days over the refs calls instead of the teams playing it out how it should be.

Example, against the Sharks they scored off the back of dud calls. They should not have been anywhere close to our score yet were there right at the end with all chances to win the game. This is what shits me. So many times teams get kept in the game through dodgy reffing and even come out victorious when they probably had no right to. Just frustrating, specially when your side is struggling already without the need of these dud calls on top going against you.

Reactions: DT

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I've often wondered... say I'm a referee and strictly can't bet on games.

How easy would it be for my wife/partner/best friend/family member to go and put say $1000 down for TeamA to win.

Then as ref for that game (or as Video ref) make borderline calls that shape the result to a betting win. You know you won't get sacked or penalised, and could bring home a tidy earnings over your weekly wage.

There literally is nothing the NRL can do about it, except penalise by way of fining them (so any money made from betting is negated by stuff ups).

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

How easy would it be for my wife/partner/best friend/family member to go and put say $1000 down for TeamA to win.

Then as ref for that game (or as Video ref) make borderline calls that shape the result to a betting win. You know you won't get sacked or penalised, and could bring home a tidy earnings over your weekly wage.

There literally is nothing the NRL can do about it, except penalise by way of fining them (so any money made from betting is negated by stuff ups).
I think its 1 step too far to assume refs are involved in betting. To many variables. On field refs cant be everywhere with a view of every angle and wont get every split second decision right. The bunker need to get it right 100% every time. Once apon a time I hated the thought of the bunker. Now I dont care if every try scored in the NRL is reviewed behind the scenes before the ref blows the whistle to award the try, if those at the helm of the bunker were competent in there jobs. That would be the only way to remove any so-called bias. Our trys are almost always refereed to the bunker anyway.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a penalty if there are two in the tackle and the ball is stripped anywhere outside of whilst attempting to ground the ball for a try.

Looked it up yesterday.
Refs have gotten it wrong then on other occasions. The whole loose carry interpretation instead of awarding a strip could be a factor from previous decisions I have seen made.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oh it happens