Montoya and Meaney - Why!!

hackenbush

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Opposition coaches nightmare..FMD. Ignoring the defensive issues, what do they offer in attack? Been watching Bulldogs game for many more years then I care to remember. But seriously, I can't remember a worse pairing. Can anyone think of a worse combos.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really
We are scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quite quick in open space, we just can't put them there.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Opposition coaches nightmare..FMD. Ignoring the defensive issues, what do they offer in attack? Been watching Bulldogs game for many more years then I care to remember. But seriously, I can't remember a worse pairing. Can anyone think of a worse combos.
Corey Dennis and Ross at the knights

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing with Meaney to wing is the fact he’s been a fullback for pretty much his whole junior career so he has no experience out there. I wonder if the long term plan for Meaney is a winger now because if it’s not he would be better served playing fullback in reggies to iron out the problems he has.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It should be Okunbor and Meaney for now based on availablity

Then when Lewis Is back it’s Lewis and Okunbor as Montoya and Okunbor can’t defend but Okunbor is more promising in attack and Lewis as a defensive centre

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It’s not Pays fault, not like he picks the team
*smear shit on my face emoji inserted here (if there was one) is what is needed when I hear the side every Tuesday*

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meaney is fast and safe but aside from that he's got absolutely nothing else to his game.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The thing with Meaney to wing is the fact he’s been a fullback for pretty much his whole junior career so he has no experience out there. I wonder if the long term plan for Meaney is a winger now because if it’s not he would be better served playing fullback in reggies to iron out the problems he has.
hes copying coaches from the past... players like RTS and Minchello were moved to wing when coming into grade.... as others have said, this guy is out of touch and clueless

PoundHounds

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Unfortunately if Meaney doesn't put on 10 kegs min and post contact metres he has no future in either position in top grade.

Someone mentioned before there's little lateral movement. SOS to the General to help the kid out.

Tedesco's the high watermark for a fullback and look at his sideways movement on a wet deck the other night.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Floptoya and Meaney (who wasn't good enough for a Newcastle rebuild)

Jmoz will probably bag a couple and Sharks will run riot. If Xerri is still injured the scoreline won't be as embarrassing though.

Squash the Berries!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still have faith in Meaney. Would rather him in centre instead of Montoya and Okunbor on wing. But the world would be a boring place if we all had the same opinion.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In answer to your question, Tim Winitana and Heka Nanai 2008 may be worse than these two.
You beat me to it Dingo. I was about to post the exact same thing! We also had stars like Charlie Leano, Gary Warburton, Aaron Groom, Daniel Holdsworth and Nick Kouparitsas in that team.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Strong crosswind at a stadium and we'll have to tie Meaney to the goal posts so he doesn't blow into the crowd.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I actually think that playing on the wing might give Meaney some confidence in attack. He's going to face much softer defence out wide than running into hardened forwards through the middle. It's not like we have hundreds of options available to choose from.

At the moment this forum is pretty caustic towards players, coaching staff and the board. It's really shitting me. I know it's a poor year for results on field. But when you drop the likes of the Morris twins from the backline and replace them on a tight budget, don't expect seasoned experts to replace them. DWZ getting signed in reality is an adequate replacement for 1 Morris brother. Meaney is a bit light to bust the line through the middle, but the team has hardly been creating chances for him to run into gaps when the forwards aren't asking a lot of questions of the defence. Montoya has been better the last few weeks compared to early in the season.

This year success was always going to be elusive. The main hope I had was that we'd manage to unearth some players who'd stake claims to be here when the roster was improved. Meaney hasn't shone in attack, but who in our side has? His defence and kick reception have impressed me. If the team were creating chances which Meaney was messing up I'd be on his case. But he's running into prepared defensive lines for the most part. It's a tough way to make your mark in the NRL.

Delta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Peter Sterling keeps saying that Meaney has been really good this year. Someone help me out here, I don't see it. Sure he is safe under the high ball and an acceptable defender, but I don't see him involved in attacking plays on the opposition goaline... no looping around the back, looking for opportunities. Sterling actually said that Meaney at fullback, DWZ at wing was better...