Other News Source Bulldogs to try lure Brisbane hooker Jake Turpin to Belmore

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
so are you saying something like were on the nose with players and managers, because of the boards poor appointment of current coach
Two fold...

I think that we (the club) are on the nose with player managers and potential players looking at the club because:
a) the club refuses to make a definite decision on the coaches future (and hence who the coach will be for those signing on in 2020/2021); and/or
b) word is getting out behind the scenes from possibly players and player managers currently involved in the club (and maybe even a certain coaches manager), that a certain board member / board members are interfering and micro managing things FAR too much.

Either of those two scenarios (or both), would be enough for a player manager or in demand player to be wary of what future may lie ahead for them. Instead they'll opt for a successful and stable club without all the BS (or a festering situation that threatens to crack at some point in the future).

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Two fold...

I think that we (the club) are on the nose with player managers and potential players looking at the club because:
a) the club refuses to make a definite decision on the coaches future (and hence who the coach will be for those signing on in 2020/2021); and/or
b) word is getting out behind the scenes from possibly players and player managers currently involved in the club (and maybe even a certain coaches manager), that a certain board member / board members are interfering and micro managing things FAR too much.

Either of those two scenarios (or both), would be enough for a player manager or in demand player to be wary of what future may lie ahead for them. Instead they'll opt for a successful and stable club without all the BS (or a festering situation that threatens to crack at some point in the future).
having pay or another no name coach next season and a dysfunctional board has screwed us again great work canterbury board

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Two fold...

Lots of assumptions going on here

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
having pay or another no name coach next season and a dysfunctional board has screwed us again great work canterbury board
It creates an interesting situation. If they (the board) sit on their hands and it costs us players, if current board members (who want coach gone) launch a rival ticket against other board members (who want coach to stay), or another mob come along with solid promises, they could end up being 1 term wonders.

Lots of assumptions going on here
Well how else can it be explained that we are missing out on player after player, despite being in the running for them? We'd have lost out on DWZ as well if not for Panthers losing interest in Russell Packer at last minute.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Take it from me, the club is not sitting on their hands. They have their finger on the pulse of everyone who is available.
There is certain to be a clean out at years end, and some serious recruiting will take place.
The people who are submitting stupid posts about unrest are just feeding the media.
The media are still butt hurt by the decision not to announce anything to them. Things are happening. Just be patient.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It creates an interesting situation. If they (the board) sit on their hands and it costs us players, if current board members (who want coach gone) launch a rival ticket against other board members (who want coach to stay), or another mob come along with solid promises, they could end up being 1 term wonders.

Well how else can it be explained that we are missing out on player after player, despite being in the running for them? We'd have lost out on DWZ as well if not for Panthers losing interest in Russell Packer at last minute.
There are a huge number of reasons for a player not coming to our club or any club for that matter. Just because we may have money doesn’t mean a player will want to join us. That’s why I believe we need to get our junior system producing good first grade footballers so we don’t have to chase every player that comes on the market which seems to happen at the moment.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Take it from me, the club is not sitting on their hands. They have their finger on the pulse of everyone who is available.
There is certain to be a clean out at years end, and some serious recruiting will take place.
The people who are submitting stupid posts about unrest are just feeding the media.
The media are still butt hurt by the decision not to announce anything to them. Things are happening. Just be patient.
is that finger on the pulse, or trying to find a pulse

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay needs to go first

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how many players are available and the club are chasing... if we are damaged goods players and player managers will stay away.

Remember that a competent player manager wants what's best for their player (client) as well. Player plays well, player gets contract upgrade, player manager gets higher cut of said upgrade.

Hence the incentive for players to go to capable and stable clubs.

A player / player managers due dilligence would be not only checking out the potential new clubs facilities, but wanting to know the clubs long term plans (including who the coach will be).

If that question is answered with a shrug of the shoulders or a blank look.. do you honestly think that plyaer will sign with us compared to a club coming straight out and saying "coach is locked in and backed fully for xyz years".

There are a huge number of reasons for a player not coming to our club or any club for that matter. Just because we may have money doesn’t mean a player will want to join us. That’s why I believe we need to get our junior system producing good first grade footballers so we don’t have to chase every player that comes on the market which seems to happen at the moment.
We are more likely to lose juniors to other clubs if they realise Pay isn't the answer and another coach will better their future development.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The moley post today saying we are favourites to get turpin either old info or something has changed

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mole still saying we are favourites, but that probably means we are no chance.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
club better not stuff this up, we need a good hooker right now

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not that impressed by him tho, can someone tell me why we are so high on this bloke?
My question too.
He had 1 really good game against the titans when their half was injured and he had to cover that position. Havent noticed him much apart from that game.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I agree he looks average at best with some mongrel which is a positive

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Player managers are nothing more than a glorified used car salesman/ real estate agent .. they will quickly get over any grievances previously experienced with the club, if the price is right ..

The term "Principles" should never be used in the same sentence as player managers ….

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Player managers are nothing more than a glorified used car salesman/ real estate agent .. they will quickly get over any grievances previously experienced with the club, if the price is right ..

The term "Principles" should never be used in the same sentence as player managers ….
I agree but I think they're closet comparison would be a catfish or some mud dwelling piece of shite. I'd actually like to see it setup so they're no longer required in the sport.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think most people associate the term Principal with wanker,
Does that sought of make sense.
What a sad excuse these guys are wearing there cheap Jon Kell suits and driving 10Y old Mercs.

Kiraz Crazy

Hasler_For_PM
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have become the favourites to lure exciting young hooker Jake Turpin away from the Broncos.

With Michael Lichaa on the outer and several other players tried at No.9 with limited success this season, the dummy-half role has been a major headache for the struggling Bulldogs.

But with Turpin off-contract and the Bulldogs set to have money to spend, they believe the 22-year-old hooker/halfback could be an answer to their problems.

They face plenty of opposition for his services, however. Half a dozen clubs south of the border want the speedy rookie, while the Broncos are also desperate to retain him for 2020.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mo...scalates/3288a1d3-635e-4d43-a5c3-a9f9a3bff800

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopefully we can sign him.

Not sure how he compares with other young 9s, such as Jayden Brailey, Reece Robson, etc. Anyone seen him play?