News Folau case may send Rugby Australia broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It allows discussion. Pretty black and white.
Political correctness shuts down any speech deemed offensive. Society will implode eventually. You can’t progress if certain ideas and science are shit down due to being politically incorrect.

Western society would not be where it is today if it was always politically correct. Allowing freedom of all speech without inciting violence which many famous people on the left do these days is what actually progresses societies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It allows discussion. Pretty black and white.
Political correctness shuts down any speech deemed offensive. Society will implode eventually. You can’t progress if certain ideas and science are shit down due to being politically incorrect.

Western society would not be where it is today if it was always politically correct. Allowing freedom of all speech without inciting violence which many famous people on the left do these days is what actually progresses societies.
what do you want to discuss? like here do you want to discuss if gay people are going to hell and so they should stop being gay?

to me that's like starting a serious discussion about the tooth fairy being real or if the lizard people control the world

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
what do you want to discuss? like here do you want to discuss if gay people are going to hell and so they should stop being gay?

to me that's like starting a serious discussion about the tooth fairy being real or if the lizard people control the world
What are you on about? I’m talking about society not just one topic. Weren’t you asking how does being politically incorrect help progress societies?

I still don’t get how you people get offended over a Christian saying gays will go to hell when you’s don’t even believe in God heaven or hell lol.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
What are you on about? I’m talking about society not just one topic. Weren’t you asking how does being politically incorrect help progress societies?

I still don’t get how you people get offended over a Christian saying gays will go to hell when you’s don’t even believe in God heaven or hell lol.
wtf my question was open ended and just I used the topic as an example

you said it allows discussion and I asked what do you want to discuss, stop trying to slither around

it can be 500 things if you want

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well me personally, I'm not an activist, and I'm not a particularly political person in the sense that I'm not a member of a party, and I don't get involved in political events or protests etc.

I'm pretty plain jane, do my 9-5, try to enjoy my time with my wife and family and live a good life.

But I know there are others who are political and religious and want to be able to speak their minds publicly, and I guess I advocate for them.

Out of curiosity - what do you mean by 'my team'?
Bulldogs. Bloody Bulldogs supporters.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
As far as I know, Raelene Castle never inserted any social media clauses into his contract after the first incident last year. She was stupid enough to leave it up to Israel as to what he would do in the future without any contractual clauses.
Correct. He was only bound by the Rugby Australia Code of Conduct, and it's very vague regarding it's social media policy (it's literally a sentence like "you won't post anything that might impact Rugby Australia or its players").

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score

As a practical example you could use any number of issues as reflective of the problems with political correctness.

Like transgender issues, indigenous poverty and social issues and islam.

All three are issues that end up heavily protected by people on the left of politics who don't like discussing them, and will generally label anyone who wants to have a serious debate about them as either racist or some sort of phobic etc.

Not debating issues properly is a sure fire way to also never solve them properly.

To go into detail, it would be a fair argument to say that some of the indigenous issues (lack of education, lower wages, worse unemployment) are caused by political and cultural elitist types who want to grand stand on the issues and talk about the national anthem lyrics instead of why aboriginal kids aren't going to school, why they aren't finding work and why they end up in jail at such high rates.

I also believe that it's often not in some people's interests to actually solve these problems. If they solve these problems, they might put themselves out of a job. So they go round and round without ever doing much about anything.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To go into detail, it would be a fair argument to say that some of the indigenous issues (lack of education, lower wages, worse unemployment) are caused by political and cultural elitist types who want to grand stand on the issues and talk about the national anthem lyrics instead of why aboriginal kids aren't going to school, why they aren't finding work and why they end up in jail at such high rates.

I also believe that it's often not in some people's interests to actually solve these problems. If they solve these problems, they might put themselves out of a job. So they go round and round without ever doing much about anything.
See now you've made me get involved.

There are many other issues that do lead to a host of problems with minority groups, however, let me clarify a few things that many here seem to not understand and partake in this finger pointing blame:-

• Majority of media in this country is right wing leaning. Channel 7, 9, 10 and Fox/Sky.
  • ABC and SBS, while they may have a slight leaning to the left, they are chastised by the coalition if it goes too far. See 3 reviews conducted into their impartiality initiated by the coalition (dating back to John Howard), cutting of funds if they don't tow the line. This has been blatantly evident as to how much the ABC have changed their presentation in the past year due to the pressure heaped on them by the coalition. Further evidenced by the lack of questioning of the coalition's policy presentation for the last federal election we had (there was NO questioning of their policies at all).
  • Given the majority of the media is right wing, they go for the easy route of shock value. As an example, when the anthem topic came about, they like to finger point at problems with indigenous communities in rural areas to divert from the topic at hand. But do they actually provide proper adult discussion? NO, it's just a plain diversion tactic. e.g. with Folau case, this is a contractual issue and they've diverted it to a religious freedom issue. It is NOT a religious freedom issue.
  • This diversion tactic and finger pointing at minorities is constantly used by right wing media and their viewers/followers, they don't actually provide any substantial discussion nor commentary on the topic. Rather they try to generate a stereotype of minorities which fits into their neat little boxes of what people are and why we should fear these minorities.

So in saying all the above, political correctness is a reactionary movement. You know why it's a reactionary movement? To stop the assholes that use the above reasoning who use intellectual DISHONEST commentary to target minorities.

The growth in PC, you lot (conservatives) only have yourselves to blame. If people weren't assholes in the first place to minorities and had genuine discussions without constantly wanting to point the finger at a whole subset of people, PC wouldn't be such a big issue today.

And it's ever telling that this anti-PC grows stronger when traditional power bases are challenged, it's like you're actively saying to those minorities "know your place and don't speak up", and this was more than ever present in the Cody Walker thread on this forum.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
See now you've made me get involved.

There are many other issues that do lead to a host of problems with minority groups, however, let me clarify a few things that many here seem to not understand and partake in this finger pointing blame:-

• Majority of media in this country is right wing leaning. Channel 7, 9, 10 and Fox/Sky.
  • ABC and SBS, while they may have a slight leaning to the left, they are chastised by the coalition if it goes too far. See 3 reviews conducted into their impartiality initiated by the coalition (dating back to John Howard), cutting of funds if they don't tow the line. This has been blatantly evident as to how much the ABC have changed their presentation in the past year due to the pressure heaped on them by the coalition. Further evidenced by the lack of questioning of the coalition's policy presentation for the last federal election we had (there was NO questioning of their policies at all).
  • Given the majority of the media is right wing, they go for the easy route of shock value. As an example, when the anthem topic came about, they like to finger point at problems with indigenous communities in rural areas to divert from the topic at hand. But do they actually provide proper adult discussion? NO, it's just a plain diversion tactic. e.g. with Folau case, this is a contractual issue and they've diverted it to a religious freedom issue. It is NOT a religious freedom issue.
  • This diversion tactic and finger pointing at minorities is constantly used by right wing media and their viewers/followers, they don't actually provide any substantial discussion nor commentary on the topic. Rather they try to generate a stereotype of minorities which fits into their neat little boxes of what people are and why we should fear these minorities.

So in saying all the above, political correctness is a reactionary movement. You know why it's a reactionary movement? To stop the assholes that use the above reasoning who use intellectual DISHONEST commentary to target minorities.

The growth in PC, you lot (conservatives) only have yourselves to blame. If people weren't assholes in the first place to minorities and had genuine discussions without constantly wanting to point the finger at a whole subset of people, PC wouldn't be such a big issue today.

And it's ever telling that this anti-PC grows stronger when traditional power bases are challenged, it's like you're actively saying to those minorities "know your place and don't speak up", and this was more than ever present in the Cody Walker thread on this forum.
I like good honest debate, but it was hard for me to take that post seriously (I'm not trying to be a d1ck here), when you started by saying media in this country leans right.

There's been studies done around the world that has demonstrated on average (and by a significant majority), journalists and media employees lean left.

The ABC is the extreme version of this. They border on political activism rather than journalism. I would be ok with this if they were funded by private money, but they are using our tax dollars to essentially support a particular ideology.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
A study published in 2013 surveyed 605 journalists from a variety of organisations on their voting intentions.

Fifty-nine of these journalists were from the ABC, and 34 of them answered the question on voting intention, with 25 either undecided or electing not to answer.

Of the 34 who did answer, 41.2 per cent, or 14, said they would vote for the Greens.

-----------------------------------------------

Considering the greens attract less than 10% of the vote, it's a huge anomaly that 41% of ABC journalists who answered this question just 'happened' to declare themselves as green voters.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
As a practical example you could use any number of issues as reflective of the problems with political correctness.

Like transgender issues, indigenous poverty and social issues and islam.

All three are issues that end up heavily protected by people on the left of politics who don't like discussing them, and will generally label anyone who wants to have a serious debate about them as either racist or some sort of phobic etc.

Not debating issues properly is a sure fire way to also never solve them properly.

actually I think the indigenous issues are because indigenous people are pissed off about the genuine attempt to wipe them off the planet and who can blame them

for an experiment we should try to genocide a group of people and see if they get angry, my theory is anybody would get angry

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
actually I think the indigenous issues are because indigenous people are pissed off about the genuine attempt to wipe them off the planet and who can blame them

for an experiment we should try to genocide a group of people and see if they get angry, my theory is anybody would get angry
I wasn't aware of any current or recent attempt to wipe any races of people from Australia. Last I checked we had one of the most diverse (and well functioning) societies in the world.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of any current or recent attempt to wipe any races of people from Australia. Last I checked we had one of the most diverse (and well functioning) societies in the world.
oh yeah they tried it, that's more of that right wing media for you

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I like good honest debate, but it was hard for me to take that post seriously (I'm not trying to be a d1ck here), when you started by saying media in this country leans right.

There's been studies done around the world that has demonstrated on average (and by a significant majority), journalists and media employees lean left.

The ABC is the extreme version of this. They border on political activism rather than journalism. I would be ok with this if they were funded by private money, but they are using our tax dollars to essentially support a particular ideology.
ABC news is pretty central but everything else ABC is very left.

I also don't agree with Jacko that news is all right leaning in Australia. But generally the more relevant news sources are more right leaning while the more opinionated news sources are left leaning with exception of sources like Breitbart.

For example. The Australian, 9 news and the Daily Telegraph are all right leaning while SMH, Channel 7 and the Guardian are left leaning. In the US CNN is left leaning while Fox News is more right leaning.

But most news sources in Australia don't lean far. Channel 9 leans a tiny bit right while Channel 7 leans a tiny bit left depending on what is going on. Daily Telegraph leans more to the right and The Guardian just leans as far left as it legally can.

The problem with media bias is that it's seen through the eyes of someone who is biased. A right wing person will say that all media leans left. A left wing person will say that all media leans right. The fact is somewhere closer to the middle.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course, when you bring in sources like Breitbart (far right conservative) and Vox/Buzzfeed (Far left progressive) then it's just a complete mess.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A study published in 2013 surveyed 605 journalists from a variety of organisations on their voting intentions.

Fifty-nine of these journalists were from the ABC, and 34 of them answered the question on voting intention, with 25 either undecided or electing not to answer.

Of the 34 who did answer, 41.2 per cent, or 14, said they would vote for the Greens.

-----------------------------------------------

Considering the greens attract less than 10% of the vote, it's a huge anomaly that 41% of ABC journalists who answered this question just 'happened' to declare themselves as green voters.
Not surprised there. The thing you have to remember is that many ABC "journalists" actually work for Triple J which is left wing biased.

The thing about the ABC though is that the government is continuously trying to shut it down. If ABC news takes a biased approach to reporting then the government will shut it down. So more than any other news source in Australia, they have to avoid bias at all costs.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
ABC news is pretty central but everything else ABC is very left.

I also don't agree with Jacko that news is all right leaning in Australia. But generally the more relevant news sources are more right leaning while the more opinionated news sources are left leaning with exception of sources like Breitbart.

For example. The Australian, 9 news and the Daily Telegraph are all right leaning while SMH, Channel 7 and the Guardian are left leaning. In the US CNN is left leaning while Fox News is more right leaning.

But most news sources in Australia don't lean far. Channel 9 leans a tiny bit right while Channel 7 leans a tiny bit left depending on what is going on. Daily Telegraph leans more to the right and The Guardian just leans as far left as it legally can.

The problem with media bias is that it's seen through the eyes of someone who is biased. A right wing person will say that all media leans left. A left wing person will say that all media leans right. The fact is somewhere closer to the middle.
Actually agree with the entirety of this post.

The only thing I would add is that online mastheads can differ from the print publications (e.g. news.com.au the online Murdoch news site leans left, whiel I agree the daily telegraph leans right).

Status
Not open for further replies.