News Bulldogs didn’t get flogged but there was plenty of self-flaggelation

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It was a good effort by the boys, if we'd scored more points than the storm, i reckon we could have won! But the effort was fantastic....
You sound like Laurie Daley lol

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Question. Does anyone know who we currently have signed for 2021.

I can think of Napa and Jackson.
Hopefully not many, pretty much need to replace the whole 17.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Going zero tackle

Okunbor
Napa
Ogden
CHN
Meaney
Chrichton
Thats not as bad as I thought.

Hopefully we have a coach lined up who is having an influence on our recruitment. Until then. I think we are a bottom 3 team

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think any coach can coach the current team to success, however Pay deserves to be given a chance to recruit. If he doesn't succeed in recruiting IN 2020 FOR 2021, then I say don't re--sign him.
Pay doesnt deserve shit. We are regressing rapidly. Article says it all. The game plan or lack thereof was plain insanity. We have already wasted a year and half with this muppett. Lets not waste anymore time and sack him immediately.

Yesterday's gameplan alone deserves to sack him. Not mention all the other fuckups his done.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I can see Pay saying to players go out there and do your best or play what's in front of you with no real game plan.

There's too many fans willing to accept lack of effort and making excuses for Pay and the players.

I also think Chris Anderson needs to keep away from recruitment and tactics, the game has passed him by.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think any coach can coach the current team to success, however Pay deserves to be given a chance to recruit. If he doesn't succeed in recruiting IN 2020 FOR 2021, then I say don't re--sign him.
Pay doesn't know how to improve a team, all he's doing is being obstructive

He needs to sit back and let them play what's in front. He's absolutely useless in a role meant to over see and improve

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs didn’t get flogged but there was plenty of self-flaggelation
May 26, 2019 TheLanDownUnder 0 Comments

The saying goes you can’t teach an old dog new tricks — well after Sunday’s game between the Canterbury Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm it appears you could extend that maxim to the use of tactics too.

Coach Dean Pay and his Bulldogs were always underdogs (sorry to labour the pun) up against it on Sunday playing the clinical Storm.

But Pay’s stubborn refusal to alter the game plan — or his team’s inability to improvise — gave the Bulldogs almost no hope of winning.

Bulldogs head coach Dean Pay.

Melbourne are a very very good team, but they do have a weakness and it is their right side defence.

The left edge has barely been beaten all season with Cameron Munster, Will Chambers and Josh Addo-Carr working together beautifully.R

The centre is stout thanks to Cam Smith marshalling his brigade of WWE enforcers with aplomb.

The right side however, that’s where you want to attack, as that is the side filled by Brodie Croft, a rotating cast of centres and Suliasi Vunivalu, a winger with almost as many inexplicable errors in his game as he does moments of supreme athleticism — and four times as many missed tackles as Addo-Carr.

Most teams try to limit Josh Addo-Carr’s access to the ball, Canterbury were feeding him.

You might think attacking the Storm right side would work for the Bulldogs too as Canterbury’s left is controlled by veteran playmaker Kieran Foran, the same Foran who cut the Titans to shreds just last week with three try assists.

Running off Foran’s shoulder is 2019 recruit and offload maniac Corey Harawira-Naera. Give them the ball and let them attack!

But no; Dean Pay’s playbook instead saw the Bulldogs play right again, and again and again — with Jack Cogger having almost twice the number of ball receipts as Foran.

Canterbury’s last tackle options consisted of Jack Cogger on the right putting up a kick not quite high enough to be a bomb and not quite deep enough to pin the Storm back. The kick was inevitably fielded comfortably by either Storm fullback Jahrome Hughes or winger Addo-Carr.

The play was so predictable that by the second half Hughes was able to set up camp down in the right corner well ahead of the fifth tackle.

And who could blame him, because from his camp he had the best seat in the house to watch Addo-Carr torch the Bulldogs via kick returns.

You may have heard of Addo-Carr, he’s pretty quick, and has a decent step. The Bulldogs certainly know it now because kicking to him so often allowed the speedster to run for 207 metres and score a solo 70 metre try.

Take a knee Kieran — we won’t be using you this week … Picture: AAP Image/Steve Christo

Hamstrung by salary cap woes not of his making, Pay is on somewhat of a hiding to nothing at the Bulldogs.

hhowever, when your game plan boils down to keeping the ball out of the hands of your best attacking player and trying your hardest to put the ball in the hands of the opposition’s best attacking player, the hiding is very much a matter of self-flagellation.

http://theland-downunder.com/2019/0...ed-but-there-was-plenty-of-self-flaggelation/

THIS is what I have been seeing. Finally a journo who actually knows football
I don't think Pay, can coach under 6s TBH

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs didn’t get flogged but there was plenty of self-flaggelation
May 26, 2019 TheLanDownUnder 0 Comments

The saying goes you can’t teach an old dog new tricks — well after Sunday’s game between the Canterbury Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm it appears you could extend that maxim to the use of tactics too.

Coach Dean Pay and his Bulldogs were always underdogs (sorry to labour the pun) up against it on Sunday playing the clinical Storm.

But Pay’s stubborn refusal to alter the game plan — or his team’s inability to improvise — gave the Bulldogs almost no hope of winning.

Bulldogs head coach Dean Pay.

Melbourne are a very very good team, but they do have a weakness and it is their right side defence.

The left edge has barely been beaten all season with Cameron Munster, Will Chambers and Josh Addo-Carr working together beautifully.R

The centre is stout thanks to Cam Smith marshalling his brigade of WWE enforcers with aplomb.

The right side however, that’s where you want to attack, as that is the side filled by Brodie Croft, a rotating cast of centres and Suliasi Vunivalu, a winger with almost as many inexplicable errors in his game as he does moments of supreme athleticism — and four times as many missed tackles as Addo-Carr.

Most teams try to limit Josh Addo-Carr’s access to the ball, Canterbury were feeding him.

You might think attacking the Storm right side would work for the Bulldogs too as Canterbury’s left is controlled by veteran playmaker Kieran Foran, the same Foran who cut the Titans to shreds just last week with three try assists.

Running off Foran’s shoulder is 2019 recruit and offload maniac Corey Harawira-Naera. Give them the ball and let them attack!

But no; Dean Pay’s playbook instead saw the Bulldogs play right again, and again and again — with Jack Cogger having almost twice the number of ball receipts as Foran.

Canterbury’s last tackle options consisted of Jack Cogger on the right putting up a kick not quite high enough to be a bomb and not quite deep enough to pin the Storm back. The kick was inevitably fielded comfortably by either Storm fullback Jahrome Hughes or winger Addo-Carr.

The play was so predictable that by the second half Hughes was able to set up camp down in the right corner well ahead of the fifth tackle.

And who could blame him, because from his camp he had the best seat in the house to watch Addo-Carr torch the Bulldogs via kick returns.

You may have heard of Addo-Carr, he’s pretty quick, and has a decent step. The Bulldogs certainly know it now because kicking to him so often allowed the speedster to run for 207 metres and score a solo 70 metre try.

Take a knee Kieran — we won’t be using you this week … Picture: AAP Image/Steve Christo

Hamstrung by salary cap woes not of his making, Pay is on somewhat of a hiding to nothing at the Bulldogs.

hhowever, when your game plan boils down to keeping the ball out of the hands of your best attacking player and trying your hardest to put the ball in the hands of the opposition’s best attacking player, the hiding is very much a matter of self-flagellation.

http://theland-downunder.com/2019/0...ed-but-there-was-plenty-of-self-flaggelation/

THIS is what I have been seeing. Finally a journo who actually knows football
Spot on maybe his been reading TK as yesterdays comments on here are exact to his comments. Either way his spot on and our tactics yesterday were not to nrl standard, park football stuff. Teams must be licking their lips waiting to play us.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nah it’s all good Pay was happy with the effort and if we just fixed the errors we would be in the top 4.
Yeah but pay says the boys are learning. Hopefully they may learn pay cant coach yet i dare say they already know

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Des we had Desball and with Pay we have Moneyball
I just wish someone could guide us to learn how to win, maybe string a few wins together so we could all just " Have'A'Ball".

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
A quieter game than usual from Kieran Foran left much of the kicking reliance and direction to Jack Cogger, who struggled with his attacking options particularly in good territory on the Storm line.

"That's an area we need to be a little bit better," Pay said.
"That's where we need to make sure we set up a different option to take some pressure off Jack. We only had five good ball sets and you can't do that against a good side."
"There's a couple of stops in play and we tried to shift off a stoppage. We've got to learn to be a bit patient."
"They tried hard today. I thought in the second half we got ourselves back to 14-6 and were building a little bit of momentum for ourselves."
"We're building as a young team and I just said to them I'm proud of how they keep hanging in there but we've got to learn how to build a bit more pressure."

I'm 90% sure this **** takes them to Maccas in the team bus after the game and buys them all Happy Meals because "they gave it a red hot crack".

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah but pay says the boys are learning. Hopefully they may learn pay cant coach yet i dare say they already know
Mate they haven’t been learning if they had been they would be improving. The fact they are getting worse is very disheartening because all Pay will do is make mass changes in a few weeks and it will just be this same cycle until the end of the season.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On 550k plus a year when he doesn't deserve to make the team on form? Especially when we already have props to do the job better or the same as he does and still desperately need backs, a half and a hooker. The Roosters let him go for a reason. He has three good games a year.

He had 8 runs for 60 metres, had 22 tackles and missed 4 in 45 minutes of lazy, sloppy footy in his supposed origin audition.
And what hooker are we plucking out of the sky? We have been saying that for 5 years at least now and it hasn’t happened.

So we are just going to pick a game where no player stood up and say gees that origin player is a waste. Hate having players with pedigree in our squad yeah Napa hasn’t been great but who has in this shit show of a season. Absolute disgrace

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I said if after the Parra game... Pay is not an NRL level coach.

But the board resign him to give him a chance to try and learn how to be one.

He tinkers and changes the team every week.. Trying to figure things out.

He is obsessed with playing small... All year he starts with a middle 3 with no notable meter eater, as a result we have no go forward and get no field position to build any kind of pressure and no quick play the balls to play heads up footy!

Rookie:
- Coach
- CEO, and
- Board

In 40 years I have never seen the club in worse shape with no real talent starting with the Board, we are a club of plonkers ATM.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mate they haven’t been learning if they had been they would be improving. The fact they are getting worse is very disheartening because all Pay will do is make mass changes in a few weeks and it will just be this same cycle until the end of the season.
Yes as why i say all they have learnt is pay cannot coach. For me when he makes changes now his saying players are not performing. And yeah they do make mistakes but his coaching is now the issue not the players. I think the players relise they will spend the season either in nrl or reserves dropping them has become a norm

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember the bad old days when Hasler coached the doggies and it was bomb after bomb after bomb and nothing else, now we have great attack no Tolman hitting it up on the 4th, the improvement is astonishing, yeah fucking right, still absolute shit.
The main problem is Pay, he can't coach and doesn't know how to motivate the players, fed up with the dud coaches we keep signing.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Up to you if you want to believe me but a friend of mine who is a player in the team gave me Pay's attack plan that we used against the Storm and pretty much every other team, can't say the players name but here is the plan of attack

unfj2k1jfdb11.png

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just watched the replay of Controversy Corner
Buzz made a statement regarding our salary cap
Made reference to not understanding the situation
Hughes looked shitty and replied why don’t you ask the old board
Shut him straight down with no more conversation
Looks like a common line and poor excuse for everything that’s going on including bad coaching

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Up to you if you want to believe me but a friend of mine who is a player in the team gave me Pay's attack plan that we used against the Storm and pretty much every other team, can't say the players name but here is the plan of attack

View attachment 10087
Lol i believe you every team knows pays plan of attack

Last edited: