Official Round 9 - Dogs vs Knights - Consolidated Match Thread

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Dean Pay has swung the axe and dropped three players as he desperately tries to turn the club’s on-field form around.

Foxsports.com.au understands halfback Lachlan Lewis, centre Kerrod Holland, and backrower Rhyse Martin have all been dumped for Saturday’s Round 9 clash with Newcastle.

Holland has travelled with the team to Brisbane but will take no part in Magic Round.

In a huge blow to the team, Corey Harawira-Naera was set to replace Holland at centre but he has withdrawn from the game due to a family illness.

It means Kieran Foran will make his return from injury to partner Jack Cogger in the halves, Marcelo Montoya will be added to the backline, and Chris Smith also gets promoted. Ofahiki Ogden is also expected to be called on, meaning the Bulldogs will use all four of their reserve players.

Canterbury sit bottom of the NRL ladder with two wins from six games and they’ve conceded the third most points in the competition.

Foxsports.com.au understands the axings are a result of that poor defence, and Pay has sounded a warning to the playing group to shape up.

It was earlier reported Lewis had remained in Sydney due to the impending birth of his first child, but the baby isn’t due until next week and he was told by Pay he wasn’t in the team.

It’s the second time this season Pay has swung the axe and made mass changes. He did it after two big losses to start the year.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Better off keeping Holland there if CHN can’t play. Montoya isn’t a centre and he sure isn’t going fix up the defence.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am seriously concerned that we are in for a flogging the way this is going.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Dean Pay has swung the axe and dropped three players as he desperately tries to turn the club’s on-field form around.

Foxsports.com.au understands the axings are a result of that poor defence, and Pay has sounded a warning to the playing group to shape up.

It was earlier reported Lewis had remained in Sydney due to the impending birth of his first child, but the baby isn’t due until next week and he was told by Pay he wasn’t in the team.
If you are citing defensive reasons, that is the one reason why Lewis would stay in the team.
His attack has struggled but his defense has been on point.

Martin has been strong overall, but have seen some laziness in defense at times.

Im at a loss, all this shuffling around makes zero sense.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Better off keeping Holland there if CHN can’t play. Montoya isn’t a centre and he sure isn’t going fix up the defence.
I'd still love to know what Martin did to get dropped, what makes things harder to believe is that he dropped the entire left edge yet left Okunbor who in all honesty is the worst defensively and barely even knows how to play on the wing at this stage. Oh and he still hasn't tried Holland and Smith together on the right edge where they worked so well as a combo :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I honestly hate Pay, didn't even feel like this towards Hasler.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If Lewis has actually been dropped then pay is an idiot. He is 1000% better option at centre than Montoya. Surely he put his hand up to sit out.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd still love to know what Martin did to get dropped, what makes things harder to believe is that he dropped the entire left edge yet left Okunbor who in all honesty is the worst defensively and barely even knows how to play on the wing at this stage. Oh and he still hasn't tried Holland and Smith together on the right edge where they worked so well as a combo :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

These changes are supposed to fix the defence didn't you know! Pay is clueless at least Des had an idea it was only one idea but it was more then Pay.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His changed the entire left edge expect the one player that causes most of the issues.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats the go? Any truth about these changes? Or someone just made some things up here and media just copied it?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What a dud of a club we have become! Bulldogs RIP...bloody sad watching this once great club become a nothing club

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pay needs to go simple as that, he should never been appointed, he was a dib appointment anyway and hes not here anymore

alwaysahope

Waterboy
Reaction score
What an absolute shit show.
If we can all see it, why the fuck doesn’t Pay?
Surely the board won’t cop much more of this ....

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

BRING BACK DES.

EVEN TOOVEY WITH BK AS ASSISTANT

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m at a loss. Take out all goal kickers and bring in Montoya and Sue.

For the first time this year, I have absolutely no faith we’ll even get close to winning.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Montoya has been good last few games in NSW Cup.

Whats the go? Any truth about these changes? Or someone just made some things up here and media just copied it?
Media / SuperCoach

I wait until things come from the club these days... too much bullshit with social media liars and journos making up crap.

IF and I say IF it's true, is the ghost of Ryan Tandy doing team selections suddenly?

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
"Foxsports.com.au understands the axings are a result of that poor defence, and Pay has sounded a warning to the playing group to shape up."
If we are going by the above quote in the article then:
Lewis' defence has been excellent.... Should not have been dropped.
Martin's defence has been solid.... Should not have been dropped.
Holland's defence has been sh!t house all year. He should have been the only one dropped.