Dogs on the Up!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well when you're stuck to the bottom, I suppose the only way is up. It's just a matter of how long it takes.

Right now is painful enough as have the last four or so seasons where there has been a gradual and now rapid decline.

There are some pieces worth keeping but I still don't know why Pay was re-signed and he's proving a lot of us right for questioning that decision.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Okunbor is a turn style In defence and some soft tries on his side. Besides his big frame and occasional hard runs he provides jack shit. Yea he is young and needs time but he is reminding me of idris reincarnated
Thats harsh on Jamal. Go back and watch a few games from 2009. Okunbor needs a stint in reggies at centre to learn the art of marking man for man. Either that or declare himself an interchange forward.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In the end, your based on results and wins. You don't get anywhere with "ueffort". I don't see a bright future under Pay. I wanted him gone since last year and seen NO improvements since then.

Take Hasler for example, he may have ruined our club but he can coach. When you have nearly your whole spine out and multiple injuries and end up winning. Something tells me you can coach. Pay doesn't have this trait imo.
Hasler can't coach . What brilliant plays did they have up their sleeve tonight? . They were gassed way before us . If it wasn't for okenbor and the fuckhead touch judge manly would only have Scored 4 points

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've seen enough to convince me that the dogs are on the way up. Results aside, a few tweaks along with our energetic style of play will start to show. Cogger has stepped up, Ogden is providing the grunt, CHN is showing his worth, Remis is class act. Okunbor on the other hand has shown his hand. He is not ready for first grade. Although we lost, the signs are there.
I agree with most of this. Cogger is beginning to take charge. JMK is looking better every week and our forwards have some great periods. But some of the issues that are recurring are getting to me. Stupid errors in attacking positions, lack of ability to get repeat sets, pushing one too many passes etc all need addressing.

I do see some quality in individual performances. And aside from one edge of the field our defence has drastically improved.

But all it takes to destroy us right now is a few poor calls from the refs and we lose the plot. Hopefully Foran provides a calming influence because impatience seems to strike whenever we're behind.

I do see some quality in our roster, but unless there's a big turnaround and some confidence building wins we could just as easily drop away defensively (the bulk of our defence has been good IMO)

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats harsh on Jamal. Go back and watch a few games from 2009. Okunbor needs a stint in reggies at centre to learn the art of marking man for man. Either that or declare himself an interchange forward.
Declare him anything but a rugby league winger. Just raises my blood pressure watching him play. I can’t see him playing next week. Montoya will be brought back into the team.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Declare him anything but a rugby league winger. Just raises my blood pressure watching him play. I can’t see him playing next week. Montoya will be brought back into the team.
The problem with him is from my POV is trusting his team mates. Its almost like he thinks he is the only player out there who is to be relied on for every play. He doesn't believe in himself. He'll come good, however i don't know how long our team can accommodate him at the expense of our rebuild.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Casual observation.
Last year Holland was inside Montoya. Montoya copped it for spastic defence reads.
This year Holland is inside Montoya and Okunbor. Both cop it for bad defence reads.

Perhaps the problem is looking us right in the face though.. maybe the issue isn't Okunbor OR Montoya, but rather Holland.

Throw caution to the wind I say... Monty played really well past 2 NSW Cup games at centre. Bring him up and stick him inside Okunbor. Can't go any worse!

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know we're all frustrated with losing but I still enjoy watching us play now vs when we were coached by Hasler.

I agree with OP we're only a few tweaks away from having a solid competitive team.

Having Foran on the sidelines for so long isn't helping our cause. If he could stay on the field we would definitely be pushing for the top 8 this year.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he we had a better winger and centre we would of most likely been in the top 4 by now Holland and okunbor are rubbish! They need to go asap!

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I agree that there's quality in a lot of the players, but we ain't on the way up with Pay at the wheel.
As a pay fan he is nothing buy disappointments. I'm off pay now. I don't think he is going to lead us out of this shit so may as well plan for who can. Tim Sheens n Holbrook combo for me.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Casual observation.
Last year Holland was inside Montoya. Montoya copped it for spastic defence reads.
This year Holland is inside Montoya and Okunbor. Both cop it for bad defence reads.

Perhaps the problem is looking us right in the face though.. maybe the issue isn't Okunbor OR Montoya, but rather Holland.

Throw caution to the wind I say... Monty played really well past 2 NSW Cup games at centre. Bring him up and stick him inside Okunbor. Can't go any worse!
You can’t be serious on that first try that manly scored can you