Is Nick Meaney the answer to our fullback position in the long term?

Is Nick Meaney our long term fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I know Nick is the best fullback we have had since Ben Barba. I wont say Sam Perret even though he was really good at fullback but that wasnt his position.

But is Nick really the Billy Slater, Tedesco and Jarred Hayne type of fullback who will eventually reach the greater heights with more game time and experience or he is just an average fullback and we would have to look for a better fullback when the cash becomes available?

I would like to know the kennels opinion

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not to the level of those guys but he doesn't need to be and could be the long term solution... He needs to be more of a focal point in attack to utilise his speed and elusiveness. Hopefully we see more of that as his confidence grows...

If Meaney is featured and breaks games open like he has the potential to, and starts ball playing more as he's shown he can, then he will prove that he's the solution to a problem that has persisted for far too long.

Last edited:

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon he won't be a superstar but he will be above average in the longer term.

I'm happy to persist with him ATM and glad we're trying someone with potential as opposed to paying big money to someone like Brett Morris who never wanted to play in that position.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He has potential but I don't see him reaching the heights with the names you mentioned. He will be solid and that's it. I reckon Cotric has potential to be a top tier fullback.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Too early to tell, giving him time and let him find his feet in first grade, he will never be a super flashy player like Hayne but he does have the potential to be a top fullback at the highest level. Only time will tell.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope he ends up at least as good as Luke Pattern he seems to have the potential for sure, just needs to work on following forwards and calling for offloads.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope he ends up at least as good as Luke Pattern he seems to have the potential for sure, just needs to work on following forwards and calling for offloads.

I rate Patten an above average full back , may be one level below Haynes, Slaters and Tedescos.

I will be more than happy if Meany reaches the same height as Patten.

Pappydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know Nick is the best fullback we have had since Ben Barba. I wont say Sam Perret even though he was really good at fullback but that wasnt his position.

But is Nick really the Billy Slater, Tedesco and Jarred Hayne type of fullback who will eventually reach the greater heights with more game time and experience or he is just an average fullback and we would have to look for a better fullback when the cash becomes available?

I would like to know the kennels opinion
No, but we don’t need him to be. As long as he’s solid in defence, that’s the main thing. We’ve got other speed options now

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
2 years in a row he was NSW Cup player of the year as a 19 and 20 year old. That has to say something.

He may not be the best, but he's hopefully enough for what we're trying to build to. I get a Luke Patten vibe off him and have said that since day 1.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
2 years in a row he was NSW Cup player of the year as a 19 and 20 year old. That has to say something.

He may not be the best, but he's hopefully enough for what we're trying to build to. I get a Luke Patten vibe off him and have said that since day 1.
Do you mean the Knight’s best player in NSW Cup? Because the NSW Cup player of the year in 2018 was Aekins from Penrith?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Could be Luke Patten, or could end up Brent Crisp / Patrick Templeman...

Like Okunbor, the problems in his game at present, are easily fixed in time/with experience.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Do you mean the Knight’s best player in NSW Cup? Because the NSW Cup player of the year in 2018 was Aekins from Penrith?
Sorry a big misread on my part. Looks like he was Knights NYC Player of the year in 2016 and Knights NSW Cup Player of the year in 2017.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Could be Luke Patten, or could end up Brent Crisp / Patrick Templeman...

Like Okunbor, the problems in his game at present, are easily fixed in time/with experience.
please dont compare Meanys problem to Okunbor.

Okunbor has feet for hands at the moment while meany is safe as houses.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only time will tell. But he is showing glimpses of the ability that he has. If our whole team was a bit better it would be easier to judge. But right now we have a lot of positions that probably need bolstering. Our forwards when at full strength are probably about middle of the pack quality wise. Our halves have potential but are inexperienced. Our backline is also just potentially middle of the range in quality.

Long term he can possibly prove to be among the better #1's in the game. But we need those around him to be more of an attacking threat. Ideally he could have stepped into an experienced team and maybe he would have fired in attack instantly. But a lot of our roster are finding their feet.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s in the Luke Patten type category. And I’m happy with that. Time will tell, but he’ll definitely cement his spot as a regular first grader. You can already see he’s got what it takes. I love how safe he is, so much maturity for a young kid and has speed to burn! He’ll only get better with more experience.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry a big misread on my part. Looks like he was Knights NYC Player of the year in 2016 and Knights NSW Cup Player of the year in 2017.
Yeah I know because they were talking up Aekins this week.
I have to say Meaney has surprised me with how good he as a proper fullback. He does the simple things well and looks really safe under the high ball. Over time I’m sure he’ll chime in more in the attack and maybe add some muscle to his frame to help break tackles

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
At the end of the day all he has to do is get some experience and then link up with blokes like CHN to finish off half breaks and he will be elevated in ability. It's said he has pace although I haven't seen it yet.

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think so, and I voted YES.. the Signs are all there,and he will get better as time goes on. Maybe not a massive superstar!! But a decent fullback and in the number 1 long term.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just worry when he has his first shocker. He's young and there will be a few shockers to come in such an important position.

Don't know how forgiving the supporters here will be when that happens.