Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d take him in a talent scout role but that’s beneTh him now I bet

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
gould has a wealth of knowledge and a brain for football, having him in some sort of advisory role i would see as advantageous for the club, but i would not give him full control, i do think he could help us in some areas where we have failed badly in recent times

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m starting to warm to this idea..Gus could mentor Pay and bring some names to the club

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m starting to warm to this idea. Gus could mentor Pay and bring some names to the club
No coach deserves a 'mentor' that will sack them for not doing it his way. That's a puppet. If they're good enough to coach NRL they should rise or fall on their own ability to run the show, not have someone else's hand up their back. Gould is too up himself to want anything other than his way, and he takes credit for all the good stuff and blames (sacks) the coach when things aren't great. I can see why Cleary said no way to any of that when he came back to Penrith. It's just poison in a club to have someone behaving like that.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gould no he’s been death riding us since 89

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mixed responses but I sort of agree about him having some form of involvement in the game. Greenturd and beatie are in over their heads and need someone with footy smarts to either take control or atleast advise on how to make the game better and bring back crowds. The game is dying a slow death and if nothing is done soon then we can all kiss nrl goodbye in 5-10 years time

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They hate each other

Gould not coming to Canterbury while Andersons involved

End of story
This.

Nepotism runs deep at Canterbury.

Lynne’s regime need to get runs on the board quick.
I’m sure they dream of their son coaching the Dogs at some stage, this is will only happen with the Andersons at the helm.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes unbelievably knowing in footy. You could argue his ego is too big to be constrained in 1 club. I dont know that hed truly WANT to run the game...much easier to fire bullets from the sideline while getting paid by News Corp and 9. Theres no way hed want to be the CEO and be getting his hands dirty day to day running the game. That said hed be very useful as say a NRL Board member....with aspirations to eventually become Chairman. As an ex player and coach, a strong tactician, a unique understanding of footy culture hed be perfect to run the game from the Boardroom.
As for a role at the Dogs NO THANKS...none of us...players, CEO, board, coach or fans could stand the ego at Belmore. We dont need him we dont want him. So he saved Penrith from going down the gurgler...last I heard we are travelling OK in the finance department. I can imagine Pay wanting his input.
I ask this qn: What coach would honestly want Gould running the football dept above them? I cant believe Bennett would of accepted that....which makes me think Gould has been positioning himself for some time to be leaving Penrith...even if he had got Bennett there. So what is Gould up to?
As for the official version - his position has become redundant, read into that...Bona fide redundancy to ensure some of his golden handshake is tax free.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes your prob wondering when someone will open up the subject... so I am hahahah

Ex bulldog premiership winning coach, he has told media he isn’t interested in any capacity for club footy but surely our rich club can entice him to come and just direct things around a little.

No matter how much his hated here or across the nrl community he knows his shit and is very footy smart.

Would you guys want him around the club? Maybe not so much as someone with a lot of power but just someone throwing his ideas around the joint since we are in this ‘REBUILDING PHASE’
I think Gould has always loved our club and has always given us big raps when he is commentating our games, and at the moment we are in really deep shit and we need a Saviour and he could be it, it couldn't get any worse than what we have now & I don't Mean Pay, Maybe he could work out a way out of this mess because sure as hell the Andersons Can't.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This.

Nepotism runs deep at Canterbury.

Lynne’s regime need to get runs on the board quick.
I’m sure they dream of their son coaching the Dogs at some stage, this is will only happen with the Andersons at the helm.
Ben will never coach the Dogs unless he does his apprenticeship in England. That will be signing their own death warrant. Can you imagine how the fans would react?

sheep dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No take a look how successful the Panthers are
Again no thanks

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No way! He creates more problems then he solves and let’s be honest he didn’t win a comp while he was there. Yes, he fixed up the Leagues Club and Football Club bottom lines but we don’t need help with that. It’s always about Gould when he is involved.
That's an absolute myth that he fixed up the leagues club and football club bottom lines. What Panthers did will cost them far more money when it's said and done. They sold two clubs in 2013 to Mounties, Triglav club in St Johns Park and Mekong club in Cabramatta, they netted $29 million for the sale of these two clubs however these two places are absolute cash cows, Triglav club is 3rd in the state for per machine gaming profit, even ahead of the main Mounties club. They were able to secure some large loans to keep the place afloat but they don't own any of their gaming machine assets, all leased from Tabcorp, the football club itself has lost $11 million in the past two years and they spent about $30 mil on a centre of excellence that has annual running costs of around $1.5 mi per year which has no chance of seeing much ROI especially in an era where there's not much correlation between junior development and premiership success

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Find talk of Gould coming back really ... fucking strange.

Whether he's great or not, considering the position Chris Anderson is in at the club and the apparent involvement he has in the footballing side of the dogs do we honestly think they'd be able to work together? How would it benefit our team having Gould, known for wanting full control, while Anderson is in the background?

Sorry ... not even worth considering. Personally I truly think we're going in the right direction and adding someone like Gould would 100% hampen that progress. Just wouldn't work.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's an absolute myth that he fixed up the leagues club and football club bottom lines. What Panthers did will cost them far more money when it's said and done. They sold two clubs in 2013 to Mounties, Triglav club in St Johns Park and Mekong club in Cabramatta, they netted $29 million for the sale of these two clubs however these two places are absolute cash cows, Triglav club is 3rd in the state for per machine gaming profit, even ahead of the main Mounties club. They were able to secure some large loans to keep the place afloat but they don't own any of their gaming machine assets, all leased from Tabcorp, the football club itself has lost $11 million in the past two years and they spent about $30 mil on a centre of excellence that has annual running costs of around $1.5 mi per year which has no chance of seeing much ROI especially in an era where there's not much correlation between junior development and premiership success
Fair enough, I was just going off media reports. Even more reason to not have Gould anywhere near the club.