My view of the future

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, honestly I think there is not much difference developing the best ISP/Juniors for min wage for paying for a guy who can't crack first grade in other team.
If we are buying players they should be pretty much cream of the crop.

I would actually prefer developing/reaching/exceeding potential for next to nothing as opposed to paying for someone who is past their's

Invest in marque spine players first. We have not bought the best 1, 6, 7 ,9 and maybe a 13 in the world for well forever really, might be time to start.

Then we can start a production line of athletic wingers, centres, forwards (we have historically been capable of this) etc

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you are talking about resurrecting Captain James Cook and offering him a contract, FORGET IT.

Absolutely dreaming if you think that Cook (on an $900k a season + TPAs contract for 5 years ending 2023), is going to leave Souffs anytime soon.
Is this accurate?

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heavy body contact sports will have an increasingly difficult future to get participants - but interests from spectators will remain. on a bigger picture view these same team sports are incredibly important - they provide the real and metaphorical knocks, bruises, disappointments that the pc world is trying to shield kids and youth from as well as the discipline needed to be successful in and beyond sport. Contact team sports do far more than build physical fitness and strength.
I think that in the future there will only be 4 or 5 teams in Sydney and if it means the game grows in other areas and as a spectator sport and id have no issues with amalgamation.
I agree with you, the heavy body contact by super fit large bodied athletes is causing a lot of parents to turn their kids away from the game.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah just googled this 900k a season.
Good buying, well worth it. Yep, that pipe dream is over.
We could do 1.1 plus 200k third party but not even worth it for him really.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is he the one that Tedsco wanted to come with as a package? Because hasler said no, like he said no to latrell and Munster! Hasler needs to take the biggest blame for the shit we're in we should sue him, he does have two premierships, with a good lawyer we could take both of them off him!
hasler should be castrated so he can't fuck any more clubs

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love to know what Josh Hodgson is on.
Also contracted til 2022

Smith
Hodgson
Cook
impossible but would make such a differnce.

Is a shame we missed out on Brailey(s) and Robson

The good thing about having the best/key/marque players is other teams don't. You automatically get better and your competition gets weaker.

Take out Smith, Tedesco, Cronk, Cherry-Evans, Cook, Hodgson etc HUGE difference

Even your Ben Hunt's, Gutherson's etc

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep hence why the embarrassing comment I made, some of the worst decisions in the last decade has been the Des errors. Almost signing Tedesco, cook isn’t a good player, no to Mitch etc etc can keep going and going... what ticks me off the most is the offloading of not 1 but 2 of our captains and neither wanted to leave
You forgot to mention the absolute worst of all signing Lichaa.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We won't be able to recruit good players in the next 1-2 years irrespective of how much money we have to spend.
Fact of the matter is the good players just don't want to come to the dogs.
Best solution sign bellamy or Trent Robinson give them offers they cannot refuse.
Then players will come and I mean the marquee type...but at best now and in future years we will attract unwanted first graders from other clubs and reserve graders at best and even then we would have to pay overs for them which we should not have to,but a sign of the times at the dogs.
Go dogs
If you or I or Dean Pay were coaching the teams That Bellamy, Robinson have at there disposal we could all so win Grand Finals. Bennet proved that when the supper coach went to Newcastle and made not a scrap of difference cos he didn't have the players, I very much doubt that we could get any of these top coaches to come to the Bulldogs with the current roster we have, doesn't matter how much money you through at them because they don't want to tarnish the reputation and be exposed as mere mortals.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some really good/valid points in this thread.
Also a bit of nonsense.

I've stated before, the media hammer every club who are rubbish.
We are hands down the most rubbish team in the comp (just look at our for and against, it's straight up embarrassing)
If we were on top of the ladder we would be getting praised.
Even Locky, Gould and a few others sang our praises when we had a go against the Storm and didn't even win.

We are a dog's breakfast on and off the field. We let the most dynamic and soon to be the best hooker in the world leave and we stuck by the worse hooker I have ever seen in my life.I mean I hadn't even heard of a hooker who can't pass properly before Lichaa. This alone is diabolical. Not to mention our retention/recruitment, board fighting, treatment of Hasler/players etc. Of course this is a good story, it's fucking absurd.

I don't disagree whith letting Mbye, Reynolds, Woods go (for the record they were and never will be superstars or marquee players) but wasn't the best look for the club even though it was the right one. Australian's and the Australian media have always had an opinion on everyone and love commenting on the misfortune of others.

It's been said that Bulldogs have been down before, but not like this.
Well I'm talking from 1980. I can never remember us missing the finals three years in a row with no way out. I was always confident we'd bounce back the next year and we always did. This is definitely different and now we have a salary cap to contend with as well. In some ways it seems like we're digging ourselves deeper and deeper.

My main concern is this rebuilding phase and excuse. It lowers expectations and provides the club with a massive cop out. To seemingly give up and throw your hands in the air is absolutely disgraceful for a professional organisation.
On that note how are we rebuilding?

Let's look at Pay's buys..
Nappa-Ok to good
CHN-OK to good
Meaney-Pass at the moment
Cogger-Prepared to give him more time but wouldn't really say he's a Pass at the moment
Sue-Flop
Crichton-Flop
Lichaa-Nothing more to be said about his guy

We are also looking at Bevan French and apparently Granville. This is not the approach I would take to rebuild. This actually looks like the way to remain cellar dwellers.

My main concern is, what happens if we get the rebuild all wrong? We then need to rebuild again..

I would be throwing massive money to Bellamy on a ten to fifteen year contract with huge incentives for results (GM Football manager when he's had enough of coaching) (double ehat he is getting paid now if need be)

I would be going after Cook and I would be going after Munster. Then we would be heading in the right direction.

Before you say anything about contracts they are not worth the paper they're written on.
Just ask CBFC and David Klemmer as well as the Tigers/Souths/Brisbane/Panthers in a coaching capacity.
You lost me on on Hasler been miss treated, his back ended deals have been well documented, obviously he was just trying to milk the club for all he could ( $1m salary and bonuses for making the top 8) then leaving our club with the digest mess possible, now haply back at Manly on probably half the salary . The releasing of Mbye Woods I can agree its not a good look but the decision was the right one, neither were worth the money they wee paid as for Reynolds he was not worth the money offered by the Tigers.
Sometimes we have to face the truth our club has been under siege for along time now and as a result the previous board made many panic decisions that were bad, th (Foran Woods) just to name a few.
Our current board have the job in front of them to turn things around simply because their are many obsticals (enemies) to deal with.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the club is better off chasing young players who already have a season of NRL under their belt and have shown they belong in the top grade rather then taking a risk on young players with ‘potential’ to be good first graders I.e (Robson)

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not an absolute, all club juniors or all external mercenaries. Wining a comp requires a mixture, some balance, plus a decent number of longer term players that stay longer than the average 3 year contract term. Some players on their way up, some players at their peak and some players who maybe aren’t as good as they used to be but their experience is absolutely necessary.

This year we are a couple of gun players short, but the main issue is experience, we are a couple of years on average short. That results in close losses that we should have won but mostly up and down performances from week to week. Consistency requires experience, something we are short of right now.

Go Dogs
Lol a couple of gun players short....we need an overhaul...a clean out.....there are only about 5 players who deserve to be in our team....the rest are garbage

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
How long is a piece of string.

I watched Mitchell Moses destroy a woeful tigers today. He’s all class and if Parra shelled out 650k for him that’s a bargain.
The win by parra yesterday seemed a little to convenient for mine the whole game just felt staged,Rugby league is not a game any more its a transaction between power brokers.The sooner I can talk my son out of playing the game the happier I will be.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Croft is the one I’d go after and a up n coming 9
As for coach only alternative I’d consider is dymock

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You lost me on on Hasler been miss treated, his back ended deals have been well documented, obviously he was just trying to milk the club for all he could ( $1m salary and bonuses for making the top 8) then leaving our club with the digest mess possible, now haply back at Manly on probably half the salary . The releasing of Mbye Woods I can agree its not a good look but the decision was the right one, neither were worth the money they wee paid as for Reynolds he was not worth the money offered by the Tigers.
Sometimes we have to face the truth our club has been under siege for along time now and as a result the previous board made many panic decisions that were bad, th (Foran Woods) just to name a few.
Our current board have the job in front of them to turn things around simply because their are many obsticals (enemies) to deal with.
The board will have to do something positive this year as there are elections early next year (I think).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol a couple of gun players short....we need an overhaul...a clean out.....there are only about 5 players who deserve to be in our team....the rest are garbage
Is that 5 out of 13?
Or 5 out of 17?
Or 5 out of 19?
Or 5 out of 21?
Or 5 out of 30?

Not that we have much choice regarding players with ongoing contracts, but that aside I'd keep 11 out of the 17. Being Toleman, Napa, Foran, Lewis, RSmith, Jackson, CHN, Meaney, Hopoate and Ogden.

We can afford (under the cap) 1 pretty decent player this year and 3 (maybe 4) next year. Experience is what we lack, so they can't really be up and comers, they need to be established NRL players. Something like a hooker, a prop, a centre and a winger.

For me, there are some fringe players that have this season to fully establish themselves, Martin, Cogger, Okunbor, RFM, To'omaga, Brown, CSmith, JMK, Tualau and Fualalo.

That means 3 or 4 of the fringe need to step up to the next level to give us a squad of 19.

Go Dogs