Q: If you were coach this week, what would be your game plan to beat Souths?

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As becomes clear after every loss, The Kennel is home to rugby league’s greatest collection of thinkers, visionaries and tactical geniuses.

With so much brilliance gathered in the one place, the question must therefore be asked: If you were coaching Canterbury this week, what exactly would be your game plan to beat Souths?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Changes need to be made. Sue and Lichaa should be dropped. Ogden should play minutes. Chris Smith should see more minutes too, maybe he or CHN could play centre instead of Holland? RFM and Fuaolo should come into the squad..

One big change in tactics is Meaney needs to get his hands on the ball a lot more and not solely rely on carries from kick returns or an offload here or there.. His speed can change the attack and give the outside men more time with the ball..

Also, turning the ball back inside constantly and changing the angles against the big Souths pack while keeping the ball alive is key against them.. As is rushing up on Reynolds and containing Cook..

But it's easier said than done. If the pack gets dominated like it did yesterday and the backs make mistakes in their own 20, then tactics go out the window.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I would tell Cogger and Lewis to run the ball more and engage the line more instead of training drill passes to the forwards. Put the opposition in 2 minds and give our forwards more options of hitting the line at speed.

I would drop holland back to reggies to regain confidence and bring in Harper. I would do what Hasler did with Barba and teach Okenbur how to catch the ball and give dedicated training sessions where game scenarios are simulated in regards to Catching bombs.

Would Fuck off Lichaa and bring in RFM. Gives our bench more potency.

Besides that there isnt much we can do. Oh yeah, Fuck off Sue. What a waste of spacw he is taking up

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can’t do a lot, of anything.. there’s really no option.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's an unconventional approach. But I'd kidnap every referee that currently does NRL duties. Make a video of their toes being removed and broadcast it letting other referees know what was in store for cheating any team. Because we aren't the only team that cops dud calls. It just seems we cop theme every week.

Then I would tell the team to do their best. Some 50/50 calls going our way and no obscure rules used against us would make a massive amount of difference.

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
For a start they need to do any opposed traing with the defnce set at 8m not 10, they need to lay all over players longer and practice foward passes. Seems that every one who is winning is getting all this right

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Bring in my whole tully tigers u16s forward pack we would still get flogged but they would"nt fold like a fucking taco

Last edited:

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mary did his homework on Okenbour like a beauty. Quick line speed negates any momentum and power he can build. The team this week should be:

1. Meaney
2. Okenbour/Montoya
3. Harper
4. Hopoate
5. Smith
6. Nu Brown
7. Lewis
8. Ogden
9. JMK
10. Tolman
11. CHN
12. Martin
13. Jackson

14. Elliott
15. RFM
16. C. Smith
17. Fualalo

Holland and Cogger really needs a spell in Reggie’s, Martin and Okenbour would also but there’s no other better replacements besides Montoya. Lichaa and Sue need never wear clothing with the colours blue or white in them again.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changes need to be made. Sue and Lichaa should be dropped. Ogden should play minutes. Chris Smith should see more minutes too, maybe he or CHN could play centre instead of Holland? RFM and Fuaolo should come into the squad..

One big change in tactics is Meaney needs to get his hands on the ball a lot more and not solely rely on carries from kick returns or an offload here or there.. His speed can change the attack and give the outside men more time with the ball..

Also, turning the ball back inside constantly and changing the angles against the big Souths pack while keeping the ball alive is key against them.. As is rushing up on Reynolds and containing Cook..

But it's easier said than done. If the pack gets dominated like it did yesterday and the backs make mistakes in their own 20, then tactics go out the window.
One huge reoccurring problem is Pays team selection and use of the bench. I understand he doesn’t lace up and make the tackles and runs out there but his job is just as important. Why the fuck is Lichaa and Sue selected on the bench? Why does C.Smith and Ogden play token minutes for the likes of smaller less effective forwards? Everyone needs to be coached this week including the coach. Bring in some help for poor old Deano before he costs himself the best job in the world.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I would tell Cogger and Lewis to run the ball more and engage the line more instead of training drill passes to the forwards. Put the opposition in 2 minds and give our forwards more options of hitting the line at speed.

I would drop holland back to reggies to regain confidence and bring in Harper. I would do what Hasler did with Barba and teach Okenbur how to catch the ball and give dedicated training sessions where game scenarios are simulated in regards to Catching bombs.

Would Fuck off Lichaa and bring in RFM. Gives our bench more potency.

Besides that there isnt much we can do. Oh yeah, Fuck off Sue. What a waste of spacw he is taking up
I agree with just about everything bar promoting Harper, he could be your version of Olive.

He’s got a looong way to go...

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Apart from @btrainben, nobody’s come up with any tactical ideas about how to beat Souths. I’m not interested in navel gazing and self analysis, I want to hear your game plans on how we can deconstruct the opposition.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Sue look really small out there?

Our lack of size really is apparent, particularly with Napa missing.

We definitely need some more big bodies...

And on another note, we need our backrowers to not jink and run into the opposition, every run Frizell had was with purpose and he bent our line all day.

Fuck he’s a weapon.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well the Dragons did their homework on us so do some homework on them and at least target their playmaker and pressure Adam Reynolds then practice gang tackling the Burgess's.
Spend all week just on defence, this standing there bullshit don't cut the mustard, fucken move.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the Dragons did their homework on us so do some homework on them and at least target their playmaker and pressure Adam Reynolds then practice gang tackling the Burgess's.
Spend all week just on defence, this standing there bullshit don't cut the mustard, fucken move.
Need quick line speed to negate th Le power and momentum built up from the big bodies. Like The dragons did yesterday with Okenbour. The bloke couldn’t get any run up