Opinion What's up with Jackson??

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’m tipping us to upset the tigers to be honest , got a feeling we might just pull off a miracle, how many times have you seen the team get all the press from
Fox sports saying McGuire
This and mbye and Marshall and Farah reviving praise and nothing but negative
Headline for us .. it’s our week . Please
Win lads
I sure do hope so mate!!

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Like the title says, what gives?? Last year I was surprised he missed out on the first SOO, but give his form over the full season and the first two games of this year, plus the emergence of so many good backrowers, Jackson is now way down on the SOO pecking order. Even in my blue eyed opinion! His form is waaaaay down. Missing tackles that lead directly to trys, not running great lines, and having very little impact at all.

RFM was dropped to reserves. That's a long way from a starting position. Was he all that worse then Jackson?

I know it's not a great look to drop your captain, but he has been terrible these first two games. He had a missed tackle in both games that lead directly to trys. He really needs to lift his game!!!

Over to you. What do you think?
I agree he is flying under the radar at the moment. Let a heap of tries in last year as well.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jackson probably needs to move to lock stiffen up the middle and in regards to RFM, he looks like he is short of match fitness. Probably should have started on the bench

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will never diss a half that is constantly looking to create whilst the men around him are merely waiting for him to create. The players around any half need to give the half options in order for them to implement an attack. Once again shit coaching.
If kicking midfield bombs straight down the throat of the opposition back 3 is being creative then Lewis is a master.He is supposed to be the creative one otherwise go play another position.Granted he is still wet behind the ears but needs to be accountable as much as anyone else if not more.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't had the time to respond to everyone today, but after reading through all of the responses there seems to be a general consensus. We all tend to agree that he is probably our best player. But something's not right.

Jackson is definitely out of form, this we can all agree on. But the reasons are varied. I dont buy the whole captaincy bollocks. He was chosen to captain our side as he was the best candidate. He should feel honoured, and I'm sure he does. It should be what inspires him to be the best that he can be every game!

Others suggest it's his change of side. This may well have a bit more to do with it, but still, he is a professional football player, he should be able to adapt.

Perhaps he is a little underdone after having surgery in the off season, and this may well be playing on his mind a little.

Like most of you, I think that Jackson should move to lock. He doesn't have the speed or creativity needed from a back rower. If this was to happen, Elliot would need to bulk up and become part of the front row rotation.

All things said, Jackson should be our best player on the field most games. But sadly he is not playing to that potential atm. He hasn't done for a while. So if our best player is not at his best and the rest if the team playing well below their best, I can't see how we can blame our current position on bad coaching. If we are all willing to give Jackson a break and allow him time to find his form again, then maybe we should also be giving Pay that same patience. Just saying.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If kicking midfield bombs straight down the throat of the opposition back 3 is being creative then Lewis is a master.He is supposed to be the creative one otherwise go play another position.Granted he is still wet behind the ears but needs to be accountable as much as anyone else if not more.
You're not talking about the Hail Mary's to give the chase more time to get to the catcher are you? The midfield bombs Lachie has to kick under pressure because that's the game plan? Its a coaches call, just like the spread it to Holland to kick play. Its allllll coach.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Jackson probably needs to move to lock stiffen up the middle and in regards to RFM, he looks like he is short of match fitness. Probably should have started on the bench
Should have been benched in the most.. Played with a dirty big lump on his face last week, soldiered on for the team. Doesn't really deserve to lose his spot in the 17.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I can't bag the poor bastard, ok he isn't what he used to be, but you can't keep a tough as nails champion bloke down for too long.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like the title says, what gives?? Last year I was surprised he missed out on the first SOO, but give his form over the full season and the first two games of this year, plus the emergence of so many good backrowers, Jackson is now way down on the SOO pecking order. Even in my blue eyed opinion! His form is waaaaay down. Missing tackles that lead directly to trys, not running great lines, and having very little impact at all.

RFM was dropped to reserves. That's a long way from a starting position. Was he all that worse then Jackson?

I know it's not a great look to drop your captain, but he has been terrible these first two games. He had a missed tackle in both games that lead directly to trys. He really needs to lift his game!!!

Over to you. What do you think?
haha youre kidding me right?

If I was jackson, I would have either switched teams or jumped off a bridge by now. The mental toll the last few years would have on him im sure would be massive.

Our team absolutely does not deserve him.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Pay stops with the ‘madness’ and puts players in their correct positions (and edges) perhaps JJ will return to form and the whole team for that matter

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

If I was jackson, I would have either switched teams or jumped off a bridge by now. The mental toll the last few years would have on him im sure would be massive.

Mate you clearly dont understand the spirit of people raised in the country. Imagine if Australian farmers gave up because things got a little tough??? You must be kidding!!
Jackson was made captain because of his loyalty, hardworking, dedication to the club. He was chosen because the club knew he was dependable. He has had plenty of good times at the club, and with that comes some bad.
The trouble with the younger generation these days is they can't handle a tiny bit of adversity. They want it all and they want it now. Thankfully Jackson is not like this. He is proud to lead our great club. And that means he will endure the tough times as well as enjoy the good.
Clearly you dont understand the meaning of a leader, nor the fighting spirit.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope he's just warming into the season after surgery. The switch to the opposite side also means his lines need to adjust. He does switch the direction of play well to wrongfoot defenders when playing his regular side of the field.

Part of the issue could also be that some of the opinions expressed are filtering back to him and the team. The mental toughness required to reach elite sportsman status starts in the head. Having every media outlet screaming about pending failure creates a bit of self doubt. Not only Jackson is succeptable to this. The negative press and the opinions of naysayers can destroy confidence. That's why it shits me a bit to see 400 threads constantly hammering the team here. It may be therapeutic for some, but the players don't benefit at all from it

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not saying he should be dropped, plenty should be dropped before him and he deserves the opportunity to turn it around, which I'm sure he will..

But Folkes dropped then captain Simon Gillies to reserve grade in his first year as coach in 1998 and we ended up making the GF that year after sneaking into the finals and starting off the year horribly.

Sometimes coaches need to make tough calls and dropping Foran would be the first move I would suggest to spark the team and send a strong message that players won't just be picked on name and reputation.

Hopefully thay would wake Jackson the fuck up along with everyone else...

Agree BUT Foran was one of our best last week did you watch the game?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope he's just warming into the season after surgery. The switch to the opposite side also means his lines need to adjust. He does switch the direction of play well to wrongfoot defenders when playing his regular side of the field.

Part of the issue could also be that some of the opinions expressed are filtering back to him and the team. The mental toughness required to reach elite sportsman status starts in the head. Having every media outlet screaming about pending failure creates a bit of self doubt. Not only Jackson is succeptable to this. The negative press and the opinions of naysayers can destroy confidence. That's why it shits me a bit to see 400 threads constantly hammering the team here. It may be therapeutic for some, but the players don't benefit at all from it
Yeah I agree. I'm not trying to shit on him. I'm sure he will come good. It just seems like he has really slowed down these past two years. He hasn't had his usual impact.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Who do you think he is Jesus Christ?

No player is above our club

So yes we deserve him, we gave him the privelage of being our club captain

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree BUT Foran was one of our best last week did you watch the game?
Yep. But to me it's just delaying the inevitable. At some point soon I think he'll have to be dropped so the club can move forward and try and develop someone else.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is carrying the weight of our whole club on his shoulders at the moment.
I really think he is burdened and frustrated right now and I can't blame him.
He needs to go back to lock, RFM deserves to be in the team but just less minutes - 80 minutes just takes all his edge off.
I don't know how many times it needs to be said;
Re-unite Holland and smith, Hoppa needs to be with Okunbor now that he has been selected.

8. Tolman
9. JMK
10. Napa
11. Elliott
12. CHN
13. Jackson

14. RFM
15. Ogden
16. Smith
17. Fualalo (We need to be working overtime to get Renouf to his potential for this position).

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep. But to me it's just delaying the inevitable. At some point soon I think he'll have to be dropped so the club can move forward and try and develop someone else.
I sure as hell wouldn't be dropping one of our better players. That's just crazy talk. More to the point for what purpose? Develop someone else, someone that we don't even have? Move forward and do what, have no one playing in that position? Quite frankly (and FN obviously) Cogger isn't ready, not even close and he may not ever be ready. We can for sure hate on Foran for last year, which was a disaster, but this year he's done pretty well for someone coming back from 2 tears of injury purgatory.

If you are looking for a target for the poor performance in the last 2 games there are far more closer to the bulls eye.
Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I sure as hell wouldn't be dropping one of our better players. That's just crazy talk. More to the point for what purpose? Develop someone else, someone that we don't even have? Move forward and do what, have no one playing in that position? Quite frankly (and FN obviously) Cogger isn't ready, not even close and he may not ever be ready. We can for sure hate on Foran for last year, which was a disaster, but this year he's done pretty well for someone coming back from 2 tears of injury purgatory.

If you are looking for a target for the poor performance in the last 2 games there are far more closer to the bulls eye.
Go Dogs
It's not the last two games, it's all of last year.. I understand your point, which is why I'm saying do it in a little while, if Foran reverts back to last years form and unless he turns back the clock seven years.

If Foran struggles like last year then I don't want him being picked each week just because of his name and massive salary because they feel obligated to..

All it would do is hinder Lewis and take valuable experience away from a potential replacement.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are people really suggesting Jackson be dropped to reserve grade? The left edge looked sorted with Martin playing there but for some reason Pay wants everybody out of position. I’m not sure what Elliott offers that makes him a walk up starter but I’d be Mving first so that Jackson is in a more natural position