Rhys Martin might start the season in reserve grade

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not denying that CHN looked great last year, but was he a necessity ?? or was a centre more of a priority.. we had enough stock in the back row to make do ..
Depends on how you look at it really... Were still building and I'm happy we nabbed the kid long term.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m with you on this,not upset to have him and I’ll back CHN now a dog
A regular top grade centre would have been nice
Sometimes as fans of we get too familiar with our roster. Our team last year was mediocre and roster upgrades across the board were required. Lewis and Smith were nice additions from within but more is needed.
Added competition for spots can only be a good thing and under Des we had the same lineup regardless of form.
I’m not convinced spending on a centre is really as important as people here harp on about. We have had a weak spine for a very long time which should be the priority other by development or recruitment.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
A lot of Penrith's early success last year was on the back of their attack with defence... they had the best line speed in the comp... CHN was one of the leaders of that, and one of the form players for much of 2019... I can see why Dean and co wanted him... should we have gone for a centre? perhaps.... but people are judging CHN on a trial match ffs

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sometimes as fans of we get too familiar with our roster. Our team last year was mediocre and roster upgrades across the board were required. Lewis and Smith were nice additions from within but more is needed.
Added competition for spots can only be a good thing and under Des we had the same lineup regardless of form.
I’m not convinced spending on a centre is really as important as people here harp on about. We have had a weak spine for a very long time which should be the priority other by development or recruitment.
I just think having the loss of both Morris boys out of backline will hurt this year
We look thin and no real depth in that centre position
Dean probably waiting for specific players to come off contract
Trust his judgment

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A lot of Penrith's early success last year was on the back of their attack with defence... they had the best line speed in the comp... CHN was one of the leaders of that, and one of the form players for much of 2019... I can see why Dean and co wanted him... should we have gone for a centre? perhaps.... but people are judging CHN on a trial match ffs
His one of those kids coming through that you always watched closely thinking about how jealous you are of Penrith's juniors.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just think having the loss of both Morris boys out of backline will hurt this year
We look thin and no real depth in that centre position
Dean probably waiting for specific players to come off contract
Trust his judgment
Oh definitely expect a cleanout at seasons end.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He did play well last week,looked a tad quicker because of his weight loss
We just need M.L to pump out 80 min every game and not drop off
I would luv to see him c

He has been less then ordinary these past few years. But if he can step up this year then it will go a long way towards our ladder position improving.
I will tip my hat to him if he can, but I still wouldn't be offering him another contract.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really hope he has a better season
Michael loves the dogs and is desperate to play a bigger role for us
Trained the house down all summer,been through some tough times recently with a loss
His head space is good now and 100% focused

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I really hope he has a better season
Michael loves the dogs and is desperate to play a bigger role for us
Trained the house down all summer,been through some tough times recently with a loss
His head space is good now and 100% focused
Good post.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why Pay has such a hard-on for JMK. It's like Hasler was with basically the whole first choice 17. I've heard Pay say a few times "he's a good kid" - so basically JMK does what he's told but the only thing is he has about as much talent as most of us here on The Kennel. He might try hard but he doesn't have the natural talent to be a constant first grader in any NRL team. The only time he should see first grade is if we're desperate because Lichaa and Brown are both out injured. He's a waste of space otherwise. We don't need him in the 17. CHN can move to the backs if needed. Martin, Elliott or Jackson could play in the backline if we're desperate. Holland could cover the halves if needed and so could Hoppa. Jackson has played 5/8 before. Lichaa looked a bit overweight all last year after eating up with the Lebanese team in the world cup so that slowed him down. He's lost 5kg during this pre-season and his passing should have improved due to our new skills coach. He can play 80 mins easily and doesn't need a rest. It's not like JMK is gonna do anything worthwhile if he comes on anyway. He's never going to set up a try or create a line break. Any player in any NRL team could pass the ball and make a few tackles - that's all he offers. If Lichaa goes average though this year replace him with Nu Brown when Brown returns from injury.
I still remember Holland missing a fair amount of kicks a few years back and some weren't even close. Martin is potentially the best goal kicker "ever" in the NRL plus he runs as good or better lines as Elliott and we're thinking of playing him in reserve grade ? Gee when the game's on the line with 1 minute to go and we can win with a kick we'll wish we had him then. Would we ever have left Hazem or Halligan out of first grade ? Martin should play 80 mins every week. RFM is coming back after injury. He should start from the bench. Danny F is average at best too. He should only cover for injuries. Our best team is:

1 Meaney
2 Chrichton
3 Hopoate
4 Holland
5 R.Smith
6 Foran
7 Lewis
8 Napa
9 Lichaa
10 Tolman
11 CHN
12 Martin
13 Jackson
14 RFM
15 Sue
16 Elliott
17 Renouf T / C.Smith / Ogden

I hope we see this forward pack on the field together for parts of games this year as this would be bringing back the "madness'. Maybe this pack should be our starting pack

Napa
Lichaa
Sue
CHN
RFM
Martin / Jackson

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand why Pay has such a hard-on for JMK. It's like Hasler was with basically the whole first choice 17. I've heard Pay say a few times "he's a good kid" - so basically JMK does what he's told but the only thing is he has about as much talent as most of us here on The Kennel. He might try hard but he doesn't have the natural talent to be a constant first grader in any NRL team. The only time he should see first grade is if we're desperate because Lichaa and Brown are both out injured. He's a waste of space otherwise. We don't need him in the 17. CHN can move to the backs if needed. Martin, Elliott or Jackson could play in the backline if we're desperate. Holland could cover the halves if needed and so could Hoppa. Jackson has played 5/8 before. Lichaa looked a bit overweight all last year after eating up with the Lebanese team in the world cup so that slowed him down. He's lost 5kg during this pre-season and his passing should have improved due to our new skills coach. He can play 80 mins easily and doesn't need a rest. It's not like JMK is gonna do anything worthwhile if he comes on anyway. He's never going to set up a try or create a line break. Any player in any NRL team could pass the ball and make a few tackles - that's all he offers. If Lichaa goes average though this year replace him with Nu Brown when Brown returns from injury.
I still remember Holland missing a fair amount of kicks a few years back and some weren't even close. Martin is potentially the best goal kicker "ever" in the NRL plus he runs as good or better lines as Elliott and we're thinking of playing him in reserve grade ? Gee when the game's on the line with 1 minute to go and we can win with a kick we'll wish we had him then. Would we ever have left Hazem or Halligan out of first grade ? Martin should play 80 mins every week. RFM is coming back after injury. He should start from the bench. Danny F is average at best too. He should only cover for injuries. Our best team is:

1 Meaney
2 Chrichton
3 Hopoate
4 Holland
5 R.Smith
6 Foran
7 Lewis
8 Napa
9 Lichaa
10 Tolman
11 CHN
12 Martin
13 Jackson
14 RFM
15 Sue
16 Elliott
17 Renouf T / C.Smith / Ogden

I hope we see this forward pack on the field together for parts of games this year as this would be bringing back the "madness'. Maybe this pack should be our starting pack

Napa
Lichaa
Sue
CHN
RFM
Martin / Jackson
Don't know why you say Pay loves JMK? I've seen or heard no evidence of that.

Like your team though. That's the one I'd pick (with Ogden or Renouf as last bench spot to cover front row). Also agree Brown for Lichaa and Fualalo not a great option.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don't understand why Pay has such a hard-on for JMK.
Because the alternative is worse. JMK came on in the trials and our attack started to fire with faster ball service.

I'm happy to give him a chance this year. Lichaa has had many a year to improve and hasn't.

Re your team... Montoya will be there for sure, and Jackson in 11 as always.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Judged purely as a second rower, he shouldn't make first grade. However, his goal kicking is so valuable. The almost guaranteed extra points make a strong case.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty scathing. I actually thought Elliot had a great year last year! He got most of his mistakes out of his game too.
I also think that if Martin didn't kick goals we wouldn't be up in arms if he wasn't in the top 17.
You have all been listening to gotenks too much. Lol
However don't forget that if we had a descent goal kicker from the beginning last year we would have made the eight. so it's very important to have a good goal kicker like Martin who showed that he can play as well as kick goals. I hope he doesn't get poached by another club if we ignore his ability and don't give him his chance.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have a good feeling about Michael Lichaa. He will deliver this season as the skills coach has tweaked his game big time.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a good feeling about Michael Lichaa. He will deliver this season as the skills coach has tweaked his game big time.
Looked exactly the same in the trial as he did last year, if you get to this point of your career and you still can’t pass then you can’t pass, simple as that. We looked a lot better when JMK came on as hooker and he is a dead average hooker but I think we should persist with him until we get a new hooker.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looked exactly the same in the trial as he did last year, if you get to this point of your career and you still can’t pass then you can’t pass, simple as that. We looked a lot better when JMK came on as hooker and he is a dead average hooker but I think we should persist with him until we get a new hooker.
Disagree with your appraisal. I believe he went alright.
He ran the ball more than he usually does, and his connection with Foran was good. I would prefer him to start over JMK.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
However don't forget that if we had a descent goal kicker from the beginning last year we would have made the eight. so it's very important to have a good goal kicker like Martin who showed that he can play as well as kick goals. I hope he doesn't get poached by another club if we ignore his ability and don't give him his chance.
I'm confident Holland can do the job. I'm not too worried that Martin will spend the year in reserves either. Whoever puts in and plays well will be in the team.