Rhys Martin might start the season in reserve grade

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs’ fan favourite set to start season in reserve grade
BULLDOGS

Rhyse Martin of the Bulldogs looks set to play reserve grade.Source: AAP
Canterbury’s fan favourite Rhyse Martin looks set to start the 2019 NRL season in reserve grade.

Foxsports.com.au understands Martin isn’t in coach Dean Pay’s ideal 17 for Round 1, when the Bulldogs travel to Mt Smart Stadium to take on the Warriors.

It’s believed he will be overlooked for the likes of Raymond Faitala-Mariner and Corey Harawia-Naera, who will fight it out for the starting left edge spot. Josh Jackson will no doubt start on the right edge, with Sauaso Sue and Danny Fualalo on the bench alongside the versatile Jeremy Marshall-King.

Martin did play in last week’s trial game against Canberra in Bega, and has been named in a reserve grade squad for a trial against Mounties this week.

How we think the Bulldogs will line up in Round 1

But the Bulldogs secured his services for another season with a fresh contract.

“Rhyse has been part of a new group of younger players that have made their NRL debuts this season and who will form the nucleus of our squad going forward,” Bulldogs boss Andrew Hill said at the time.

Martin was one of Canterbury’s better players in a number of games last season, and is a sharpshooter kicking off the tee.

Against the Raiders he made history by scoring the most individual points by a player in the losing team. He scored a hat-trick and racked up 24 points by himself.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foxsports.com.au understands Martin isn’t in coach Dean Pay’s ideal 17 for Round 1, when the Bulldogs travel to Mt Smart Stadium to take on the Warriors.

It’s believed he will be overlooked for the likes of Raymond Faitala-Mariner and Corey Harawia-Naera, who will fight it out for the starting left edge spot. Josh Jackson will no doubt start on the right edge, with Sauaso Sue and Danny Fualalo on the bench alongside the versatile Jeremy Marshall-King.
This "journalist" clearly just saw the same ISP team list that was posted a couple of hours ago as we did, but tries to make it sound like he has some inside info or has spoken to coaching staff.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
We have a glut of backrowers, players will miss out, it is what it is.

What will be good though is if the players chosen don’t perform, the ones performing in ISP get promoted in their place.

No favourites is all I’m asking.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The writing was on the wall since Martin played ISP Finals last year yet Lewis and Smith sat out.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I will believe it when I see it. You can't underestimate the value of a 90% + goal kicker. And it's not like hes a bad player. Hes always involved , can run a good line, and scored some tries.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The writing was on the wall since Martin played ISP Finals last year yet Lewis and Smith sat out.
I reckon he played because they really wanted him to and he qualified to play. Not like the fg team was in the finals.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon he played because they really wanted him to and he qualified to play. Not like the fg team was in the finals.
Maybe but Lewis and Smith were qualified too and they sat out.

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check Dutchys stats, he kicked at 100% last year,I kid you not.For those of you who like to quote stats that is..

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last year when finals time came for our ISP side it was interesting that Pay made a comment something along the lines that Smith and Lewis were part of the first grade side now and wouldn't be playing in the ISP team, yet Martin did. Perhaps it was because Martin was the captain for a lot of the season or maybe Pay just saw him as stock gap, hence bringing CHN in. Think that might have been in a post game presser from memory.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check Dutchys stats, he kicked at 100% last year,I kid you not.For those of you who like to quote stats that is..
Yeah, we lose nothing with Holland kicking. Nailed 7 from 7 when we smashed the Dragons