News Bulldogs coach set to earn a Pay day

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont see the urgency to do it now. May be mid season makes more sense.
Dont buy the instability/distraction theory. If players want pay, theyll put in the efforts. If the coach is the one that may get distracted, then hes probably not the one for the club. As for attracting recruits, most want to see results anyway.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Even if he gets extended, speculation will still be there if the team is struggling early. Thats the nature of the job.

Look at how many coaches have been fired with years to run on their deal and all the coaches swapping club's as proof.

All it will mean is that the club would have to pay more to let him go...

I think Pay has done a good job so far considering the circumstances but as far as I'm concerned, he and the players still have a lot to prove and there's not much to gain by re-signing him now as opposed to three months from now.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
at the end of the day we all have our opinion i dont agree with you but respect your opinion.
All good mate that’s what’s good about this place we have completely different opinions on a subject but we only want what’s best for the club at the end of the day and if that means my opinion was wrong I couldn’t care less!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Give him till mid season and make a call based on how we are going then. He's not an in demand coach and if he got poached there are other options out there. There seems to be stability with coaches at clubs after the coaching roundabout a few months back.

As others have said, we aren't likely to lose him. Maybe next contract have a + 1 year option in the clubs favour.

Only bloke I see as on potential chopping block is Brad Arthur. If Parra don't fire he really has no excuse. McGregor and Brown unlikely if Dragons/Knights don't fire.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
working on a contract extension, still could be months away before it's signed.

maybe they will set some performance goals for him this season and contract extension will come up with the agreed terms if and when he meets those goals.

Put it in Pay and the teams hands.

If players are unsure who will be coach, player contract negotiations could be affected. we don't want to have to pay someone more next few years simply because the coach wasn't confirmed.

an extra 10k here and there could be the difference in a marque signing over the next few years.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol...I can see Nabs now bashing that keyboard trying to type NOOOOOOOOOO...
FUCK YOU TK!! FUCK YOUuuuuuUUUUUuuUUu!!!! AaHHHhHhH!!

Unban the *****! LOL!

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Give him till mid season and make a call based on how we are going then. He's not an in demand coach and if he got poached there are other options out there. There seems to be stability with coaches at clubs after the coaching roundabout a few months back.

As others have said, we aren't likely to lose him. Maybe next contract have a + 1 year option in the clubs favour.

Only bloke I see as on potential chopping block is Brad Arthur. If Parra don't fire he really has no excuse. McGregor and Brown unlikely if Dragons/Knights don't fire.
1000000 %Percent %

Shouldn't put pen to paper until round 12-14 cause baby we aint seen nothing yet . . babbby babbby we just ain't seen nothing yet.

MountMontoya

Kennel Established
Reaction score
say they dont offer Pay a new deal

what decent coaches are available atm?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Our concern is not what coaches could be on the market
I really hope to see steady improvement and good structure this year.
Dean has my full support but this great club has to get back to where we belong,at the top
Not expecting miracles from this squad,top 8 is achievable
Want to see tough defence and set moves in attack
His job is no guarantee

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
First of all it's only a speculative article. But the new administration team aren't fools. If Pay gets an early extension it's because they have faith in him. Not only Pay is in a position of earning the trust of fans. So they're not going to hurry to extend the contract if they doubt he can deliver results.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

Justin Holbrook and Adam O'Brien are probably the best two that arent coaching NRL. St Helens and Roosters assistant respectively

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our concern is not what coaches could be on the market
I really hope to see steady improvement and good structure this year.
Dean has my full support but this great club has to get back to where we belong,at the top
Not expecting miracles from this squad,top 8 is achievable
Want to see tough defence and set moves in attack
His job is no guarantee
Good bank tellers don't always make great Bank Managers. Good builders don't necessarily make great project managers.Good GP's don't always make great neurosurgeons and definitely great players don't always make good coaches.
Seems like only yesterday we at the kennel were gunning for Des's scalp, Dib's head on a platter. We had our backs to the wall. Players exodus, salary cap issues and attack play that just could not score - we could barely put on 15 pts a game on average.

We wanted someone who knew what the dogs were all about. What it was to bleed blue and white - our culture and what we stood for.

Despite all this turmoil, Deano has taken up the challenge. Despite having to push shit uphill, he still managed to inspire, guide and empower his players and overall the team - just look at the last 4 games. We avoided the wooden spoon.

Agree with you cuz. He has my full support as well. Is this the beginning of our rebuild or was the last 4 games a case of a "dead cat bounce"?

The season has not started - lets not write him off or sing his praises just yet. We should wait for mid season and then decide. A true coach will remain focused on the big picture. Remain professional, motivated and will be consistent.

Bring on those dogz of war.............................

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
They should something - weidler keeps talking about unrest

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont see the need to rush this they should wait and see how he goes this year

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not saying he shouldn’t be extended but I’d rather he earns one this year. He has had a lot bigger say in players this year and had a year to get the team to buy into his methods. I doubt he would be in any danger of being poached so wait until at least round 12 to look at an extension.
To be fair yes he has had a bigger say in players this year but limited to the quality he would like.

I think we should resign him and judge him at the end of next year or even the year after unless we don't see improvement every year

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
his grace period is coming to an end and we really need to see some improvement before any contracts are offered in my personal opinion.
I was once talking to chief Paul Harrigan about coaches

He said you have to give a coach 3 years

The first year they are dealing with the structure in place from the previous

The 2nd year he is building on the changed he tried to implement the year before

By the 3rd year it’s all on him

He has had time to get his own systems in place
His own staff to help
And to develop a game plan to best suit a team he has grown

I go along with that

I think he deserves a 3rd year.

Especially given the shit fight he had to deal with so far

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have heard a rumour that if Dean Pay doesn't aim up after 6-8 games he will be replaced by Chris Anderson's son, with Chris in the background. If this happens it will destroy the club, they seem to be a very happy club at the moment. I would like to see Dean get another two years at least.