Dib the TPA King - Mythbusted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tazer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The very fact that the Roosters have virtually no official TPA's and yet are still able to field the sides they do (and still have a million left over in the cap), should in itself be a huge red flag to the NRL. Every RL fan knows they are rorting the system....its the worst kept secret in the game. Don't expect to hear anything about it in the media though.....at least not until after Uncle Nick kicks the bucket anyway.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL needs to remove a bit of the players freedom to pick their destination. If a player is offered a million under the salary cap by club a and it's the highest offer, they have to go to that club. It removes the ability for club b or c to make shady deals. If club a is struggling for sponsorship because club b & c have bought up the talent for several years and won bigger sponsorship deals due to loaded rosters, it then allows more balanced rosters to grow. Eventually it will mean sponsorship deals for clubs will be more balanced. The only salary cap exemptions should be for clubs that develop the players in the first place.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL needs to remove a bit of the players freedom to pick their destination. If a player is offered a million under the salary cap by club a and it's the highest offer, they have to go to that club. It removes the ability for club b or c to make shady deals. If club a is struggling for sponsorship because club b & c have bought up the talent for several years and won bigger sponsorship deals due to loaded rosters, it then allows more balanced rosters to grow. Eventually it will mean sponsorship deals for clubs will be more balanced. The only salary cap exemptions should be for clubs that develop the players in the first place.
That's bit unfair on the players family, making them move to, say, Townsville for what could be $1 i(e; Bulldogs offer $400,000 and Cowboys offer $400,001).

Go Dogs

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"The total 2018 TPA pool includes 205 agreements spread across 94 players but this does not include a large number of small non-cash deals – for example equipment like boots and headgear – that most NRL players have in some form."
- cars, 0% home loans, six-figure share portfolios after retirement, six-figure jobs for family...

"Their lure as a one-team, one-town franchise and their elite star power are both major factors in their ability to attract just over $1 million in third-party deals for the Storm and just under $800,000 for the Broncos in 2018."
- Newcastle, Gold Coast, Canberra, Auckland, Townsville are one team towns. JT & SJ are elite players. Strange this argument doesn't seem to hold for these teams. Perhaps they have more of the "small non-cash deals" than the Donks or the Storm (yeah, right).

"I think the data we have illustrates clearly that the volume of third-party that exists across the game aren’t as great as some people believe."
- I think you believe people are far more gullible than they are. Rorter$ only on $200k? Bullshit, that wouldn't even cover Cronk.

Graphs are only as credible as the input data.

The sooner the "cap" is not based on money, the better.
OP needs to put this into the first post. This pretty much settles it... 0% home loans far out. That’s thousands every month

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't buy this at all lol.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's bit unfair on the players family, making them move to, say, Townsville for what could be $1 i(e; Bulldogs offer $400,000 and Cowboys offer $400,001).

Go Dogs
obviously reason needs to apply. Under this system loyalty has been discarded. But TPA deals have played a key role in this. They're pretty hard to police. Ideally, a development exemption would combat this. A club that has someone in their roster from ages 16-20 would get an allowance to pay the players say 2% per development year in their system which is exempt from the cap. Once the player steps into the NRL that 2% can't be extended. If a club developing great players lets a player go when they have no room for them in a good roster, the exemptions should still apply if they try to bring their junior back when a loyal player retires.

This kind of system would encourage clubs to willingly contribute to grass roots football. If it meant that we had 30% more quality players entering the system annually because more clubs were hoping to get junior exemptions, it would be a coup for the game.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
to extend the reason side of my argument, lets say that to increase the size of the offer, a club must increase it by theoretically 20% on players on lower wages 10% on middle wages or 2% on elite wages. In circumstances where two clubs matched the offer the players choose. Because a team like the Roosters would already have had to spend their salary cap allocation. TPA's might give them an advantage at this point, but I'd additionally have a stipulation that a club would get a single opportunity to match an offer if they had no role in developing a player. After matching the offer once they would need to increase their bid by a. Moderate figure to stay in the running for the player.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
IMHO no salary cap would mean the roosters will win almost every year with the broncos and the storm winning occasionally. the game will then become like most major soccer competitions overseas, and because our game has serious competition from other codes unlike soccer overseas, the game and the NRL would die a quick death instead of a slow one.
Every law has an effect of keeping people and entities in check, some more then others. For this reason clubs that cheat the cap know that the are breaking the rules so that alone will help keep them in check at least a little.
What makes it difficult to police is that a few clubs are supported by multi millionaires, particularly by multi millionaires who have interest overseas,
why do people always refer to the specific uneven soccer competitions to explain what would happen if the nrl had no salary cap, that is stupid and you are just repeating the message sent down to you

the main reason it is uneven is because there are large rewards for winning in soccer and that wouldnt happen in the nrl

why not bring up a more even soccer competition like the japan league where there are 6 different champions in 9 years and the current 2 time champions have never won it before previously? why didnt you do that?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
to extend the reason side of my argument, lets say that to increase the size of the offer, a club must increase it by theoretically 20% on players on lower wages 10% on middle wages or 2% on elite wages. In circumstances where two clubs matched the offer the players choose. Because a team like the Roosters would already have had to spend their salary cap allocation. TPA's might give them an advantage at this point, but I'd additionally have a stipulation that a club would get a single opportunity to match an offer if they had no role in developing a player. After matching the offer once they would need to increase their bid by a. Moderate figure to stay in the running for the player.
Minimum salary is $105k, so 20% would make that $126k, would you move your family from, say, Townsville where you family is to Melbourne where you know no one for $21k? I don't think so, just the cost of the move and the higher mortgage would dwarf that. Plus the loss of family support for the wife and kids, how do you put a value on that?

Players often don't change clubs just to get more money, there are plenty of other reasons, from family to wanting to play under a certain coach or to play with your brother. Not everything can be monitorised.

Go Dogs

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The set up is complete rubbish and sanctioned cheating for clubs in better areas. Bronc's and Storm get a mil dollar leg up every year off the books and that's being honest. They rave on about making the comp more even yet it's the same clubs involved every year with a few minor placing's that change. The Rorters position on it clearly indicates how much they are cheating with a top 30 filled with marquee players. Time has come to make it open slather with every players income clearly printed. Between this and sexual assault's every other day the sport is dying a very painful death.

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
THE NRL will attempt to clean up the scourge of third-party deals by coming clean for the first time with how much all 16 clubs receive from outside sponsors.

The unprecedented overhaul designed to stop salary cap rorting also includes the induction of a new contract system which will require the NRL to receive every formal offer that is made to a player.

The decision which was rubber-stamped by club CEOs in Sydney comes in the wake of three brand-damaging salary cap investigations in as many years involving Parramatta, Manly and currently Cronulla.

NRL COO Nick Weeks wants to clean up the system. (AAP Image/Brendan Esposito)
“What we’ve tried to do is to put in more checks and balances to help identify any noncompliance with the rules,’’ NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said.

“What it also does is it’s going to require clubs, agents and players to jump through more hoops before they register a third-party agreement or signed playing contracts.

“For the first time I think fans, clubs and others will be able to see exactly the volume of third-party agreements that exist in the game and we think that’s a good thing.

“One of the challenges we’ve seen is some misconceptions in the game about the volume with TPAs which has caused some clubs to make bad decisions around the salary cap rules.’’

Total third-party payments for NRL clubs.
The NRL welcomes third-party agreements as long as the sponsor is not affiliated with the club.

There is also no limit on how many third-party deals a club can register with the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph obtained a first look of the 2018 and 2017 third-party values of every club, which will be made public today.

The figures make for interesting and surprising reading.

Of no great shock is both Melbourne and Brisbane dominate the largest portion of third-party deals.

Their lure as a one-team, one-town franchise and their elite star power are both major factors in their ability to attract just over $1 million in third-party deals for the Storm and just under $800,000 for the Broncos in 2018.

Having this bloke as your figurehead doesn’t hurt the bottom line. (Michael Dodge/Getty Images)
Conversely, the Eels — who were bereft of superstar talent last season, managed around $50,000 in TPA’s.

The Warriors inability to boast just over $200,000 additional financial interest in their players despite their vast geographical location is a concern with just over $200,000 in TPAs recorded for 2018.

In 2018, a total of $4.2 million in additional payments were paid to 94 players across 205 different agreements.

TPA deals for players are far-reaching and can be as simple as a boot, headgear or car sponsor to major commercial or corporate meet and greet appearances and work, for a particular business.

The Sea Eagles have been through their own TPA problems. (Toby Zerna)
“We think being able to understand the proper picture will help clubs, players and agents,’’ Weeks said.

“I think the data we have illustrates clearly that the volume of third-party that exists across the game aren’t as great as some people believe.

“This has been an area that created a lot of attention among fans, among the media and a lot of debate around it is inaccurate.

“So we think that by providing more transparency and accurate information, it will take some of the heat out of the debate and that will only improve our compliance with the salary cap rules.’’

There are plenty of deals on offer in a one-horse town. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
Weeks said the NRL had not contemplated making the full salary of players public, like in the NFL.

But he said a new contract registering system would allow the game to monitor any questionable deal that sees a player sign with a club for a significantly less amount that what he was offered by a rival club.

For example only, if Damien Cook had re-signed at Souths for $600,000 a season when the Broncos had offered $1 million.

“The system will require agents and clubs to lodge (the offer) with the NRL when an offer is made,’’ Weeks said.

“At the moment we don’t see anything until a contract is lodged.

“What we’ll see is competing offers that are made to the player before he makes his decision.

“We think it’s just another tool in our armoury to help us monitor what is going on with contracting activities.

“To the extent that there are some contracts that are done which are unusual in terms of players accepting offers less than other clubs are offering.

“It will allow us to see that.’’

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/1400bef2379f2b495cd3779180cee006

I will repeat what I have said before (( If the NRL are truly serious about having a fair game )) this must happen...
1. The original clubs of the NSW Rugby league formed the superior rugby league competition in the world and are the clubs who invited other clubs from other cities, states or New Zealand into their comp, therefore they deserve to be treated fairly and not to be pushed into extinction !!!
2. There should be a TPA special committee formed by active representatives from each of the 16 clubs to work together in enticing interest from companies all over Australia, New Zealand and the world for TPAs.
3. The TPAs should then be equally shared by all clubs.
4. Transfer fees should be introduced in order to reward clubs who unearths young talent that goes on to become grade players, The fees should be included in the salary cap !!!
If they can not get it right...forget it, The game will never be fair and is not worth it !!!

Last edited:

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why do people always refer to the specific uneven soccer competitions to explain what would happen if the nrl had no salary cap, that is stupid and you are just repeating the message sent down to you

the main reason it is uneven is because there are large rewards for winning in soccer and that wouldnt happen in the nrl

why not bring up a more even soccer competition like the japan league where there are 6 different champions in 9 years and the current 2 time champions have never won it before previously? why didnt you do that?
Mate I do believe in the cap (for better or worse), and I know nothing about the Japan League, also I have never used the term specific uneven soccer competitions.
However one FACT I would point out to you is that soccer in Europe has a much bigger player pool to chose from, also the structure of soccer makes it for a more even game, these 2 reasons is why 3rd division teams some times do beat 1st division teams in European Soccer.
However you may try to prove me wrong, but to me it appears that in the elite EPL and other European comps only a few teams ever appear able to win.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The very fact that the Roosters have virtually no official TPA's and yet are still able to field the sides they do (and still have a million left over in the cap), should in itself be a huge red flag to the NRL. Every RL fan knows they are rorting the system....its the worst kept secret in the game. Don't expect to hear anything about it in the media though.....at least not until after Uncle Nick kicks the bucket anyway.
The Roosters legacy will continue for ever and a day, Uncle Nick has conscripted other Multi Millionaires to his club as well as having Gyngel on the board of both CH9 and the Rotters.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The set up is complete rubbish and sanctioned cheating for clubs in better areas. Bronc's and Storm get a mil dollar leg up every year off the books and that's being honest. They rave on about making the comp more even yet it's the same clubs involved every year with a few minor placing's that change. The Rorters position on it clearly indicates how much they are cheating with a top 30 filled with marquee players. Time has come to make it open slather with every players income clearly printed. Between this and sexual assault's every other day the sport is dying a very painful death.
And those of us here in Brisbane only have to turn on the TV or step outside the front door to see how many current ex Broncos are on billboards, doing TV ads and reading the sport on the news broadcasts.

Whilst they have this city to themselves there is no chance of any sort of level playing field.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Minimum salary is $105k, so 20% would make that $126k, would you move your family from, say, Townsville where you family is to Melbourne where you know no one for $21k? I don't think so, just the cost of the move and the higher mortgage would dwarf that. Plus the loss of family support for the wife and kids, how do you put a value on that?

Players often don't change clubs just to get more money, there are plenty of other reasons, from family to wanting to play under a certain coach or to play with your brother. Not everything can be monitorised.

Go Dogs
My idea is a very simplified one at the moment. A lot more thought would need to go into it. But the basis of it is that a club like the Roosters or Broncos wouldn't be able to claim that say a Darren Lockyer calibre of played served their entire career at the club out of loyalty while getting massively underpaid. It would force the Broncos to pay what he was worth under the salary cap, where under the current system we see the Roosters claiming a guy like Tedesco took a massive underpayment to go to the Roosters. From memory (correct me if I'm wrong), he claimed loyalty to the Tigers to break his negotiated raiders contract when the Tigers came to the table with a respectable enough offer, then suddenly that loyalty is nowhere to be seen when a financial powerhouse of a club seeks his signature a few seasons later, supposedly because he wanted to play for a club that he's never supported. set aside the coaching drama etc, I'm sure that many other decent clubs offered him far better cap compliant money than the Roosters.

At least by making each club pay players highest market worth it means that every club has a fair chance to sign talent without cheating the cap and making ridiculous claims that the player suddenly had an epiphany and realized that they're in love with Trent Robinson and red white and blue shirts to the extent where they're willing to sacrifice a couple of hundred thousand dollars. It just feels like pure bullshit.

If a young player was forced to move interstate to a place they didn't particularly see themselves spending the rest of their life, I'd give the opportunity to appeal to make the deal a 1 year deal and enable themselves to impress enough potential rival clubs to make them an offer for the following season. Leeway could potentally be given for living cost allowances and relocation costs if a youngster was forced to take up a contract in a place they didn't want to be. But the idea would be to ensure that every club was paying players what they were worth under the salary cap. Currentl;y a lot of teamns with wealthy backers appear to cheat the system on a regular basis according to the way most people look at things.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Not a single business in all of Australia whats to sponsor the sharks. Yet businesses want to sponsor there players instead to the tune of over 200k a season.
Bet the pharmaceutical companies do.

Instead of testing the drugs on animals they test them on Sharks players.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uncle Nick is the cleverest man involved in Rugby league, (not sure about the most honest though), be aware of Multi Millionaires with massive egos.
Funny how over 20 years ago I warned a high profile fan of our club about the power Uncle Nick would yield one day and he laughed at me rubbishing Polities as a simple used car salesman.

Status
Not open for further replies.