Morris Bros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are far from just 'role players'... they are the best defensive wing/centre combo in the comp and when games these days so often come down to 6 points or less, they are invaluable.. not to mention they are weapons in attack and bringing the ball out of our own end
Would like to have them stay for another year, they did turn 32 though. The way they've been going Lewis, Smith and probably others are going to start kicking stones next year if their contract isn't upgraded. I'm very confident that Meaney will handle FB, and that 2 of Hoppa, Crichton, Bergamin , Carr or Harper can handle our right side, it looks like many of our players have been improving under Pay.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. Combined they’re on about 1.5 mil. Not worth it.
What were they prepared to stay for is relevant nit what their current contract is, not that relevant.

I would be interested to know what Easts & Sharks are paying the boys, I don't think it would be that much.

Malla

Reaction score
What were they prepared to stay for is relevant nit what their current contract is, not that relevant.

I would be interested to know what Easts & Sharks are paying the boys, I don't think it would be that much.
Not much at all but would be substantially more than what we offered. In saying that, as someone said above it’s time we move on. If it’s one thing we learnt this year is the benefits in front of ya if you give a young player a go - ie Reimis Smith. If we keep the Morris boys, that’s potentislly 2 Other young players that we may have lost

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol you have absolutely no idea what I mean by role players do you? But go watch the first 20 rounds...that defence you speak of was non existent, they were ill disciplined and were sin binned for professional fouls twice from memory. Garbage.

I understand what you mean but the role of a Morris is far more valuable than the role of a Montoya. I understand they needed to be moved on, but they won't be easily replaced like you seem to think

Malla

Reaction score
I understand what you mean but the role of a Morris is far more valuable than the role of a Montoya. I understand they needed to be moved on, but they won't be easily replaced like you seem to think
End of the day they’re a wing and a centre... as you said above they’re only as good as the spine is hence why they’re ‘role players’. You take the coin and put it into our spine, it doesn’t matter who you have on the wing and centre.
Stop bringing Montoya into this. Their role is the same, Montoya is just shit.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
End of the day they’re a wing and a centre... as you said above they’re only as good as the spine is hence why they’re ‘role players’. You take the coin and put it into our spine, it doesn’t matter who you have on the wing and centre.
Stop bringing Montoya into this. Their role is the same, Montoya is just shit.

Why wouldn't I bring him into this? he could very well be there next year.. and you seem to think that whoever takes their place can do the job they do.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Been great servants of the club both first class on and off the field

Malla

Reaction score
Why wouldn't I bring him into this? he could very well be there next year.. and you seem to think that whoever takes their place can do the job they do.
Montoya won't player first grade next year.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they were open to a pay cut to stay? They don't deserve top tier money for their positions anymore. Maybe if they had offered (assuming they didn't) they could have stayed for another season to guide new players in?

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think it’s a huge loss at all. They’re just role players doing their job and I am confident that whoever we plug in on that side will be able to get the job done the same if not better.

Lachlan Lewis is the reason why they’ve almost had a second lease on life...he’s been giving them early and crisp ball in space and his kicking game as been excellent.
I agree mate, although I'd love to keep them and I would love to see them in the blue and white next year, we need to keep moving forward with our rebuild.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They were always going to fire up in their old stomping ground and paid tribute to their late mate Thommo

They played awesome yesterday but the future was on the other edge

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah agree with ya, the proof can easily be found just looking how quickly they were both snapped up by other top 4 sides. I do understand the club not wanting to spend huge amounts of cash that we simple don't have on them but yeah they are definitely not easily replaced.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So is the 2019 model of the Moz Bros going to be better than the 2018?

Or what about in 2020?

They will get slower and less agile with each and every year.
Also, how will they recover from knocks and injuries as they get older?
We have cap issues, and they don’t want to play for charity, nor should they.

Thanks for the memories, and good luck to both.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I would have liked to see Josh finish his NRL career with the Dogs.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be nice to see the club at least sign one experienced outside back before next season starts. There is a big chunk of experience going out with them

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah disagree. The club could have kept the brothers for another year or so but then whats the point. Rebuilding is not about playing well the next year. It is about playing well for the next 5 years. Even if we kept the Morris brothers for next year they would have eventually retired. I would rather develop young guys. Seeing Reimis and holland and their potential makes me happy. We just need to find another exiting pair to replace the m brothers. Montoya and crighton are not sufficient replacements imo

Status
Not open for further replies.