We MUST retain Tolman at all costs till 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

berriesfan

Waterboy
Reaction score
There is no way des resigned Tolman on only 450. He rated him as the best prop in the game and would have paid him accordingly. Which along with the backended deals (which he would be on) is another big reason our cap is so unbalanced

berriesfan

Waterboy
Reaction score
I would only resign him if he paid back half of what he has been paid over the last 4 years, as he has not earned it.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We are lucky the club doesnt pay him for the amount of tackles he makes. He would be on bigger money.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as I cant stand tolman, until we have an adequate replacement he must be kept

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much is Tolman on?
According to this thread 450k (I think it's more) less exemptions 250k.
Some up coming player being offered that will add more variety into our game imo

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
According to this thread 450k (I think it's more) less exemptions 250k.
Some up coming player being offered that will add more variety into our game imo
Probably get two decent ones with that. I admire the guy and his footy but its hard to define a position for the guy.

Who do you get but? Up n comer or experienced front rower?

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hes super under rated and a great foil for klem im happy we have him

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nasheed has made a valid point and under the current circumstances I think he must stay... He also has great ethics which would be great for the youth coming through

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much is Tolman on?
Well statistically hasler said he was the best prop in the game.
I remember willie Mason saying this after he had a meeting with hasler
So if Eastwood was on 800k then go and figure .......he must be on more than that and remember tolman was haslers pet

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
You don't buy something because its cheap or it fits under the cap, Tolman has to earn his spot like every player.
Pay is looking at bargain youth he can tweak, Tolman could be heading the same way as Eastwood, thats a 400k in the bank.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm glad we have Tolman and would be happy to see him retained. He's not an impact player, but he brings plenty to the team. I've always hoped he'd bulk up a little and get a bit more aggressive. But while I would like to see that, I also respect the fact that he has some big positives. He can play the full 80 minutes if needed and maintain a high workrate. Every reduction in the number of interchanges will make him more valuable and on occasions when we suffer injuries it's a luxury to know you have at least one forward that won't need rotating. I hardly recall seeing him make any silly errors either. He shores up our defense really well. He's a player that doesn't slack off defensively. Unlike many players he'll look to stay as involved as he can.

I'm of the opinion that a good #9 would bring out the best in Tolman and the rest of the team. Hopefully we've got one on the shopping list if Woolford isn't favored and Nu Brown isn't a preference for Pay. It can make a huge difference.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

This is the 2011 Bulldogs squad;

I came here with the intent to post this now that Josh has decided to leave.
Today I learnt for a fact we are getting rid of Eastwood which is what we all suspected but makes my post here even more vital.

In the list above, there is ONE name who will be contracted next year, Aiden 'E-Tag' Tolman.

2019-2011= 8 years.

If we are to qualify for the badly needed long term loyalty 200k salary exemption, we need at least 1 player to have played continuously for 8 years. I always thought it would be Josh but thatrs not to be.

People here always whine we need to get rid of Tolman if theres a suitor willing to pick him up but this needs to stop now. The 450 he gets next year is effectively only 250. Meaning hes a bargain and we badly need the exemption AND the experience.

Our forward pack is now very thin with Woods leaving.

-Nasheed.
Agree on the tolman bit,but Aron woods,no loss,he was never going to be a bulldog

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I told you all that Nasheed dumped Holland after his last two performances....his new man crush is Tolman!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Depends on what bullshit contract he’s been signed to ?
Getting a $250k plodder, for $800k instead of $1m, isn’t exactly a bargain, if you know what I mean.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tolman has been under rated on here for a long time. Most kennellers want 5 Klemmers in the forwards. That is not how a forward pack works. It's all about balance. I agree under Des Tolman was an issue but he has earned his place in the team this year. We need a steady experienced player mixed with some young blood. I am happy for him to stay especially if he is on the cheaper side of things. We haven't a lot of cash to play with.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably get two decent ones with that. I admire the guy and his footy but its hard to define a position for the guy.

Who do you get but? Up n comer or experienced front rower?
I think having Klemmer and Jackson is enough experience in our pack and with Rhys Martin coming through the forwards are looking like a good mix. But we need that type of player that can offload and even bust the line. Someone like Martin Taupau in which there are rumblings that he could be leaving Manly, plus he is one of our juniors.

Now compare these stats for 2018:
Taupau...
17 games
Offloads - 57
Total Run Mtrs - 2828 (avg 166.4)
Tackle Efficiency - 91.1%

Tolman...
9 games..
Offloads - 3
Total Run Mtrs - 777 (avg 86.4)
Tackle Efficiency - 90.6

Even if you half Taupau's games to compare to Tolman's, his stats are still double in run mtrs and nearly ten times better in offloads. Surprisingly to me a slightly better tackle efficiency and when he hits, the players know it. We need a player like Taupau to add more skill and grunt into the pack imo.

There are others, but the fact that these stats would justify signing him and releasing Tolman if we can is a no brainer to me. Bring the junior back to Belmore.

Last edited:

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think having Klemmer and Jackson is enough experience in our pack and with Rhys Martin coming through the forwards are looking like a good mix. But we need that type of player that can offload and even bust the line. Someone like Martin Taupau in which there are ramblings that he could be leaving Manly, plus he is one of our juniors.

Now compare these stats for 2018:
Taupau...
17 games
Offloads - 57
Total Run Mtrs - 2828 (avg 166.4)
Tackle Efficiency - 91.1%

Tolman...
9 games..
Offloads - 3
Total Run Mtrs - 777 (avg 86.4)
Tackle Efficiency - 90.6

Even if you half Taupau's games to compare to Tolman's, his stats are still double in run mtrs and nearly ten times better in offloads. Surprisingly to me a slightly better tackle efficiency and when he hits, the players know it. We need a player like Taupau to add more skill and grunt into the pack imo.

There are others, but the fact that these stats would justify signing him and releasing Tolman if we can is a no brainer to me. Bring the junior back to Belmore.
Are you going to get taupau for 250k?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kind of a pointless thread tbh, he is signed until the end of 2020 anyway isnt he?

Status
Not open for further replies.