Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,

This is the 2011 Bulldogs squad;

I came here with the intent to post this now that Josh has decided to leave.
Today I learnt for a fact we are getting rid of Eastwood which is what we all suspected but makes my post here even more vital.

In the list above, there is ONE name who will be contracted next year, Aiden 'E-Tag' Tolman.

2019-2011= 8 years.

If we are to qualify for the badly needed long term loyalty 200k salary exemption, we need at least 1 player to have played continuously for 8 years. I always thought it would be Josh but thatrs not to be.

People here always whine we need to get rid of Tolman if theres a suitor willing to pick him up but this needs to stop now. The 450 he gets next year is effectively only 250. Meaning hes a bargain and we badly need the exemption AND the experience.

Our forward pack is now very thin with Woods leaving.

-Nasheed.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He bought his dad a house in Campsie a while back..hes not going to go unless we push him.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think he deserves to stay based on his football anyway. Not every player in your squad can be a Jackson or Klemmer. Tolman has been and still is one of our most consistent performers.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Does make sense. Another player who we are able to claim long service over (amazingly) is Kieran Foran. He started his first grade career in 2009 with Manly, so 2019 will be his 10th season as a Top 30 player (resulting in being allowed the cap compensation).

So maybe we are taking $100k off him and Tolman.

By 2020 Jackson will be able to claim that as well (and Tolman/Foran futures clearer).

Tolman is the sort of reliable player clubs need. No frills but just tucks the ball under the arm and works it up the middle. Was gutted he didn't get that try last week.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone please stop this comedy show of a post.

When you compare the quality that some forwards in the Panthers or Dragons (to name a couple) provide in quality, Tolman does not compare. Quality not quantity will win premierships.

If you are content with Tolman hitting it up and making tackles rather a player that can do both those things plus break the line, and offload then enjoy many Wooden Spoons. You see players and teams needs to evolve every year. I ask you what has Tolman done over the years that you have seen him improve in his game? You see Tolman even at the Storm was a tackler and a one off the ruck hit up player. I still see him doing the same thing and no skills added to his game. This is not a dig at him I just think we need the team to re-invent itself with a completely different approach to our style and individuals like Tolman do not offer any value to us moving forward.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Does make sense. Another player who we are able to claim long service over (amazingly) is Kieran Foran. He started his first grade career in 2009 with Manly, so 2019 will be his 10th season as a Top 30 player (resulting in being allowed the cap compensation).

So maybe we are taking $100k off him and Tolman.

By 2020 Jackson will be able to claim that as well (and Tolman/Foran futures clearer).

Tolman is the sort of reliable player clubs need. No frills but just tucks the ball under the arm and works it up the middle. Was gutted he didn't get that try last week.
nah that isnt right because its about 8 years at one club.

The bonus/exemption is designed to retain and incentivise juniors and clubs to be one club players, not reward old age players to stick around.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Someone please stop this comedy show of a post.

When you compare the quality that some forwards in the Panthers or Dragons (to name a couple) provide in quality, Tolman does not compare. Quality not quantity will win premierships.

If you are content with Tolman hitting it up and making tackles rather a player that can do both those things plus break the line, and offload then enjoy many Wooden Spoons. You see players and teams needs to evolve every year. I ask you what has Tolman done over the years that you have seen him improve in his game? You see Tolman even at the Storm was a tackler and a one off the ruck hit up player. I still see him doing the same thing and no skills added to his game. This is not a dig at him I just think we need the team to re-invent itself with a completely different approach to our style and individuals like Tolman do not offer any value to us moving forward.
Please dont take a dig at the OP if you dont read beyond the headline.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hijack thread haha!!

Joking nasheed.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
nah that isnt right because its about 8 years at one club.

The bonus/exemption is designed to retain and incentivise juniors and clubs to be one club players, not reward old age players to stick around.
Not according to the NRL.

https://www.nrl.com/operations/the-game/the-salary-cap/
$0.2 million – Veteran and Developed Player Allowance for eligible players who were either developed by the Club prior to becoming NRL players and / or have been a Top 30 player for at least 8 years at the Club or have been a Top 30 player for at least 10 years across the game

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
When does his current contract finish?

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's hardly been our worst, I'd probably keep him too

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I biggest gripe on Tolman was always how dikface played him ie Tolman on the 4th and standing in the fuking way all the time. IF Tolman is played how he should be then there is no reason not to retain him on "REASONABLE" money while youth comes through. You need experience for the young guys and Tolman is solid. He is a workhorse that won't let anyone down. He is not exciting but in his role he doesn't need to be. If the longterm player allowance helps us keep his money low until another player (JJ) becomes eligible then why waste the exemption. We have released enough of the deadwood to keep Tolman IMO. That being said if getting rid of him opens up a chance for the club to sign a marquee player or something then don't hesitate.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah
Bring on some good young players
He has been too pedestrian and predictable for years
I’m sure an up and comer can virtually do the same if not better
I don’t dislike Tolman,just think time is up

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This post is going to sound like i support hasler but anyway. When someone says tolman i think of desball unfortunately. Although the aim is to move as far away as possible from desball i still think we need tolman so that we don't completely forget about what des taught. Although desball failed i still think des taught the boys some useful things that won us games (eg defence). Tolman needs to stick around so we don't completely start fresh and he can educate some of the new boys. Tolman represents solid defence and solid stats!!

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nasheed makes sense. Who are we going to get better for 250k....

Regardless. He does an above average job. He is the one talking/leading on the field. Can play big minutes and solid defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.