Toovs officially sacked. Barrett to take over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
AFTER months of speculation, Geoff Toovey has been sacked by Manly.

As reported by the Daily Telegraph on Friday, Toovey is the casualty of a difficult season for the Sea Eagles in which they are poised to miss the semi0finals for the first time since 2004.

Toovey will coach out the remainder of the season with Trent Barrett to take up the head coaching role in 2016.

“Geoff has been an influential figure within the Sea Eagles organisation for almost three decades. His contribution on and off the field is unprecedented, and he will always be one of the club’s favourite sons,’’ Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly said.

“Geoff and the club remain firmly committed to finishing this season off on the highest possible note.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ake-over-in-2016/story-fni3gnk1-1227459859547

Rumours already out that Toovs will coach Newcastle next season

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'll call it right now. Manly will win a few games in a row and Barrett will be hailed as the next Tom Landry...

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll call it right now. Manly will win a few games in a row and Barrett will be hailed as the next Tom Landry...
Teams generally always do well at least for one year with a new coach, the following year after really shows if the coach is any good.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Feel sorry for tooves, I dont think he's a bad coach. He had a shit board and couldn't manage all the ego's at that club. A fresh start will be good for him.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Feel sorry for tooves, I dont think he's a bad coach. He had a shit board and couldn't manage all the ego's at that club. A fresh start will be good for him.
This! the poor bloke gave his life to that shit club and they flush him down the toilet

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
its going to be difficult for toovey to get a second chance

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sign him up as the coach of the Australian Kangaroos..he's better then bloody Farah loving Sheens!

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Manly have shown on how you stab a club legend in the back

Well done.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more there.

While i don't particularly like toovey, from what's been going around it seems like he was treated absolutely s***ty from the manly board, and for a so - called "club legend" the guy deserved a lot better. As horrible as this sounds, i hope manly crash and burn and barrett brings them their first ever spoon, highly doubtful but stranger things have happened :grinning:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Toovey and Johns should walk into the Knights to straighten the place out.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Toovey seems like he copped a few too many concussions to me. The guy never even seems to blink and i always think his head will explode in press conferences. He was pretty good at placing the blame on the refs until this year though so i guess he was great in that regard. Everyone needs their special talent.

He inherited a well drilled squad with enviable halves, great attacking fullback, strong forwards and a quality backline that had played together for plenty of years. But as soon as this established roster starts to break up, the wheels fell off for them. He really needed to make some astute decisions about incoming players to keep his job for next year and i think he failed to do that.

Trent Barrett is an unknown quantity as a coach but i think he's got far more going on upstairs than Toovey. Cleary is a pretty good coach to serve an apprenticeship with and it will be interesting to see if he can turn the decline around next year. Personally i hate Manly and i really hope he's a dud, but i think he'll get more out of them next year without the pressure of the media circus that the contract negotiations of Foran and DCE generated.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope des shows some heart and offers toovs a job , he would look good in a mini mascot outfit next to the big one

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope des shows some heart and offers toovs a job , he would look good in a mini mascot outfit next to the big one
Failing that they could hire him to carry around a poop scoop when we have our canine mascots on the field.

lafai

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des shouldn't be here next year so why not take a punt on another Grubly legend

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you want a club that has been so mismanaged, who ya gonna call...call Manly!

I really would have thought that Ken Arthurson would be shaking his head wondering what happened to the once powerful club that has now degenerated into a rabble. True to form though he has not put the boot into them as indicated by the following article.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...regarding-toovey/story-fngr8iii-1227460532462

Would I be mistaken in thinking that a lot of the trouble in this club has come from the top down

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe Noel Kleal can attract him over to belmore

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Maybe Noel Kleal can attract him over to belmore
We already have quite a capable water boy, although Tooves may be handy as an on field coach. He did fulfil that role after all at Manly under Des.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
My mate showed me his daughter today, there is a reason he looks depressed and angry all the time its not from footy... His daughter is ****ing yummy, she would turn any father mad with all the attention she would get lol

Status
Not open for further replies.