Stanley's Defence & Blocker penalty smart ploy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
[video=youtube;_AD1TLOh9Mo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AD1TLOh9Mo[/video]

It's not another "hail Thompson" thread, but after rewatching the footage, something caught my eye.

Watch both the tries scored against Thompson in that Youtube clip.

Watch where Stanley is both times.

Try #1 - Rushed out of the defensive line leaving a massive overlap.
Try #2 - Was so far in field that it left Thompson defending a 2 on 1 overlap.

If anything Chase should have been heading over to Thompsons area to either offer support, or run the blocker.

Much better to be penalised for a block, than give away 6 points, and I reckon this is what MANY teams are doing these days.

High balls goes up, and if it's an "oh shit" moment, centre / fullback runs in as a block, and rather than give away a try, they conceed a penalty.

Now people will say "Oh but they'll give a penalty try in that case". But they can't without conclusive proof the player would have:
a) caught the ball.
b) grounded it correctly.
c) not have been held up.

In other words, if you infringe a player trying to catch a ball, there is NO way possible to get a penalty try.

Smart coaches have worked this dodgy tactic out, and whilst it gives the attacking side 6 more tackles (by conceeding a penalty), it means your defensive line is set (or they take 2 points which is even better).

Providing the goal line defence of your side is solid, you might even stop a 6 pointer.

If they bomb, infringe again or tackle the player in the air and give away another penalty. As long as it's reasonably safe, and the bloke doesn't get flipped, you could easily save tries by giving away penalties.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mate you can blame Stanley all you want and you can analyse it using 6 different camera angles. It won't change the fact that Thomson is extremely vulnerable and we cannot have a tall guy babysit him every game. He farked up bad

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Thompson was horrible, in my opinion worst on field. Stanley wasn't much better.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
cant do that too much.
The ref will start binning people if he believes youre deliberately infringing.

Moronic Musings

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear oh dear. Thompson is single handedly at fault for his errors. Stanley is average too, but Thompson's mistakes were schoolboy stuff.

I genuinely believe you have homoerotic fantasies over Thompson.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mr I are you fkn serious another thread to try put the blame on someone else. Gordon was the opposite of Thompson it was thompsons job end of story and Thompson obstructed Gordon and still managed to fuk it up. Now let's fkn move on to next week never to see Thompson again in first grade

Malpass

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At least we have more depth this year, don't forget these guys would normally play NSW cup but due to injuries this year they have been picked. Last year both were regular first graders (well Stanley was for the first 3-4 games before he did his shoulder and then Thompson came in).

Would prefer Thompson play fullback and leave Perrett stay on the wing as he seems to be better under the high ball and a better finisher.

Fully Sik Drop kick

Abra Kebabra
Reaction score
Thompson, had a bad game against Titans, but I admit, I think he's generally a smarter player and his cover defense last year was exceptional and evidence of how capable he can be.

He'll put it behind him and if given another chance will want to make amends and hopefully have a blinder

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Well look at it like this.

The other week (before he was picked) Phillips and McGrady's defence in NSW Cup caused them to get belted by 50 odd by the Mounties.

Loko copped it for his "shit defence", when it was actually McGrady inside him, and Phillips outside him that were the issue.

The week after Phillips debuted for Bulldogs NRL. The proceeding 2 weeks he scored 7 tries in 2 games. Before this we'd all be saying "gosh he's shit, sack him", based on his first Mounties performance.

My point is that every player has his bad day (its impossible to be 100% all the time). Stanley takes some of the blame for Thompsons poor game, because he left him well and truly stranded in both instances.

We've already seen before that Thompsons on goal and one on one defence is generally superb.

So I'm not completely absolving Thompson of any wrong doing, but certainly Stanley didn't help him at all this game.

Won't be the last of Thompson at all (heck we've persevered with Hodko, TRex, and Perrett through their shitty periods), and Hasler seems to like Thompson.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mr I your really starting to look stupid with these pro Thompson posts, the bloke had an absolute Barry Crocker and you can't blame anyone else!! Just accept he had a shit **** game

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Well look at it like this.

The other week (before he was picked) Phillips and McGrady's defence in NSW Cup caused them to get belted by 50 odd by the Mounties.

Loko copped it for his "shit defence", when it was actually McGrady inside him, and Phillips outside him that were the issue.

The week after Phillips debuted for Bulldogs NRL. The proceeding 2 weeks he scored 7 tries in 2 games. Before this we'd all be saying "gosh he's shit, sack him", based on his first Mounties performance.

My point is that every player has his bad day (its impossible to be 100% all the time). Stanley takes some of the blame for Thompsons poor game, because he left him well and truly stranded in both instances.

We've already seen before that Thompsons on goal and one on one defence is generally superb.

So I'm not completely absolving Thompson of any wrong doing, but certainly Stanley didn't help him at all this game.

Won't be the last of Thompson at all (heck we've persevered with Hodko, TRex, and Perrett through their shitty periods), and Hasler seems to like Thompson.
Don't worry mr I people on her always need a escape goat for a loss, Thompson is a top player and always runs hard getting us on the front foot he had a bad game and people wanna blame him for the loss last time I checked it was a team sport, yes it gets frustrating watching the dogs but this loss had to happen with 6 top players out we played well for the fist half anyway

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Thompson and Stanley are both plodders.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Don't worry mr I people on her always need a escape goat for a loss, Thompson is a top player and always runs hard getting us on the front foot he had a bad game and people wanna blame him for the loss last time I checked it was a team sport, yes it gets frustrating watching the dogs but this loss had to happen with 6 top players out we played well for the fist half anyway
People forget that he isn't a front running NRL player signed on $400,000 a season, he's a fringe first grader signed to NSW Cup for backup in first grade if required. They expect the same performance from him as someone like Inglis puts in.

Of course that's never going to happen.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have no idea why you keep adding oil into the flames Mr I.

Your clips don't absolve Thompson of anything, as i believe Thompson was perfectly positioned for BOTH the tries that he let in, the only reason he failed was because his physical attributes prevented him from doing so. He can't compete against bigger, stronger and faster players, he has brains and the ability to position himself correctly but all these extra threads are doing is highlighting just how he isn't cut out for FG.

I have no idea why our club has had this unhealthy obsession for short wingers (Thompson, Perrett, Phelps) OR wingers that have feet for hands (Wright, Brown). You don't need a huge investment to get an adequate winger, take Rona as the perfect example. I'd rather have Inu in this side still over Thompson despite how lazy he can be because his presence is more than likely to deter clubs from targetting our wings. Notice how the Titans did not once bomb to Lafai/Rona

This loss isn't even critical in our season considering the players we have out and as soon as Origin is over we should be able to string some wins together in the run home. Stanley was pretty pathetic as well, but pointing the finger at him does nothing.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is a depth winger who we retained for 1 more year. If some of our newer recruits had been putting their hands up in the lower grades they might have bypassed him in selection. My opinion is that he's a reliable player who is good at finishing short range tries but who can struggle against big opponents when he's isolated, which he was a couple of times this week.

Chances are that if B & J Moz back up both Stanley and Thompson drop back.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a depth winger who we retained for 1 more year. If some of our newer recruits had been putting their hands up in the lower grades they might have bypassed him in selection. My opinion is that he's a reliable player who is good at finishing short range tries but who can struggle against big opponents when he's isolated, which he was a couple of times this week.

Exactly this. I like having Thompson in the squad (he's usually reasonably reliable, Sunday excepted) but he's not someone who should be starting unless we are short on numbers. As a bottom-of-the-salary-cap guy, he's another Mitch Brown or Jono Wright. You get what you pay for.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Agree with most. Only part I don't is that other players could bypass Stanley and Thompson.

Des uses them because they've been in FG before. If he was being fair Phillips probably should have been in front of one of those guys, you can't do much more than score 7 tries in 2 weeks.

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[video=youtube;_AD1TLOh9Mo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AD1TLOh9Mo[/video]

It's not another "hail Thompson" thread, but after rewatching the footage, something caught my eye.

Watch both the tries scored against Thompson in that Youtube clip.

Watch where Stanley is both times.

Try #1 - Rushed out of the defensive line leaving a massive overlap.
Try #2 - Was so far in field that it left Thompson defending a 2 on 1 overlap.

Try 1 - If Chase was anywhere other than where he was we open up a massive hole in our line and ask the Titans to run and score.
Try 2 - Isn't that the one where Chase took out Gordon so Thompson could have a clean grab and he ****ed up?

I think you need to accept that Corey had a bad game, ****ed up and allowed in 2 tries and is limited in general by size and speed if nothing else. Matt Utai's Bulldog career ended for the same reason and he actually had some game about him.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Try 1 - If Chase was anywhere other than where he was we open up a massive hole in our line and ask the Titans to run and score.
Try 2 - Isn't that the one where Chase took out Gordon so Thompson could have a clean grab and he ****ed up?

I think you need to accept that Corey had a bad game, ****ed up and allowed in 2 tries and is limited in general by size and speed if nothing else. Matt Utai's Bulldog career ended for the same reason and he actually had some game about him.
As far as i remember Utai's defensive deficiences were very well highlighted by the Cowboys in the 2004 Wk1 Finals where they consistently kicked to him and got rewards, in a game they won 30-22. Utai however was an absolute monster in attack and consistently carried defenders with him

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as i remember Utai's defensive deficiences were very well highlighted by the Cowboys in the 2004 Wk1 Finals where they consistently kicked to him and got rewards, in a game they won 30-22. Utai however was an absolute monster in attack and consistently carried defenders with him
Exactly. Utai has something very special to offer and a power game that not many others have replicated. Corey is a smarter player but offers none of the power and suffers the same physical limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.