Dogs to host NRL game at Belmore in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Natboy

CANTERBURY are planning to host their first NRL match in 17 years at their spiritual home of Belmore Oval next season.

The historical move back to the ground the Bulldogs last called home in 1998 will coincide with the club's 80th anniversary celebrations.

Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle confirmed to The Sunday Telegraph ahead of today's trial match against South Sydney, which will be played at the 94-year-old ground, that planning had already begun to return for an official NRL match in 2015.

"As part of our strategic plan there is an aim to get Belmore to a stage where we could bring an NRL game back home and we continue to work towards that,'' Castle said.

"We also believe that would be a very nice fit for our 80th anniversary celebrations in 2015."

SUPERCOACH: FRONT ROW 4:16
Play video

Ahead of the 2014 NRL season, Supercoach experts Heath Kelly and Tom 'Guru' Sangster take us through the front row must haves.

While consideration for who the Dogs would play in their return to Belmore match remains premature, it's likely they would host an out-of-town team like the Melbourne Storm or North Queensland Cowboys.

A crowd of close to 10,000 is expected for today's trial match, but club officials believe that Belmore would cater for almost 15,000 for an official NRL match.

In recent years, Belmore Oval has undergone a $7m upgrade.

The Dogs players and coaching staff now boast world class training facilities, high performance unit, gymnasium and offices.

A second stage of development to then ground and precinct is dependent on state funding.

"We've had four million dollars of state funding confirmed in the budget, which is about half of the funding required to develop stage two of Belmore,'' Castle said.

"It includes an arts and multicultural facility and stadium facilities, including dressing rooms on Peter Moore field (adjacent to Belmore Oval) for the Sydney Olympic football club.

"It would take what is currently a high-performance sporting facility into a genuine community facility which will add great value to the people of this area.''

RUGBY LEAGUE'S GREATEST COMEBACKS AND HEARTBREAKS 2:37
Play video

Ahead of a 2014 NRL season with so much promise, we take a look at some of the game's most inspiring comebacks and heartbreaking injuries.
The Bulldogs are currently contracted to play their home games out of ANZ Stadium.

A one-off return to Belmore next season would be supported by the NRL despite a strategic plan over the next five seasons to force every club into bigger stadiums and away from traditional home grounds.

Dogs coach Des Hasler has named a 33-man squad to tackle Michael Maguire's Rabbitohs. Canterbury's squad includes NRL regulars co-captain Michael Ennis and Frank Pritchard, Greg Eastwood, James Graham, Josh Morris and Tony Williams.

Josh Reynolds, Reni Maitua and David Klemmer have been rested.

South Sydney's squad also features several NRL stars including new recruits Lote Tuqiri, Joel Reddy and Joel Picker.

And in what will be an intriguing preview to the season ahead, the Rabbitohs Adam Reynolds and Luke Keary will line-up together this afternoon in the halves

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fcuk yeh!!!
hope it vs the storm so we can give to slater the grub!

dean_aus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Awesome news!!!! Should be a good day tomorrow

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If the place is a rockn don't bother knocking, back to Belmore HELL YEAH. Our Team, Our House,Our Heritage = The TRUE HOUSE of PAIN

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
would love to come down from qld for the game as a young fella i went to belmore with my uncle back in the late 80s, and to be honest as a young bloke it was quite an intimidating venue if you hadnt been there before or were another team supporter

ryan2222

New Pup
Reaction score
Is there any chance that the bulldogs will play all (or most) of their home games at Belmore Oval in the future? If 'no', why not?

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
most likely 2 or 3 games against out of towners.

All our 'marquee' games will be played at the shithole

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Is there any chance that the bulldogs will play all (or most) of their home games at Belmore Oval in the future? If 'no', why not?
It is just the surrounding infrastructure might not be able to support all the extra people coming in and out for footy at the moment I think.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Basically, we wont make anywhere as much money as we do at anz.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Belmore needs a lot a of work. I loved Belmore back in the day, but after being at ANZ for years now it shows how poor the facilities are at Belmore. The seats in the grandstand are way too close together. There is no leg room and it is hard for people to walk past. The toilets are awful, the access to the grandstand is ordinary, and there is very little parking, and the corporate facilities are nothing compared to ANZ. The atmosphere was awesome but it is just too outdated to have any more than 2-3 games per year against out of towners.

N

Natboy

Belmore needs a lot a of work. I loved Belmore back in the day, but after being at ANZ for years now it shows how poor the facilities are at Belmore. The seats in the grandstand are way too close together. There is no leg room and it is hard for people to walk past. The toilets are awful, the access to the grandstand is ordinary, and there is very little parking, and the corporate facilities are nothing compared to ANZ. The atmosphere was awesome but it is just too outdated to have any more than 2-3 games per year against out of towners.
Yeah I agree mate. They would need to spend a lot to fix it. I'm getting used to ANZ now & enjoy how easy it is to get to, park, our seats etc

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Plus the local council just put up parking restrictions around the areas that DID have parking available.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No chance. For starters, by the end of this season, we'll have more members than belmore's capacity. Secondly, the infrastructure in the area and the amenities at the ground are not up to it and finally belmore costs the club to put events on, whereas ANZ stadium pays the club to play there.

ryan2222

New Pup
Reaction score
Thanks to those people who responded.

I remember watching games played at Belmore on the TV when I was a child. It appeared to have a great atmosphere.

I had always wondered why the home games didn’t return to Belmore, particularly after the development.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I remember watching games played at Belmore on the TV when I was a child. It appeared to have a great atmosphere.

I had always wondered why the home games didn’t return to Belmore, particularly after the development.
It's been confirmed that some games will return but only low drawing games.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score

The capacity is 25000. This year we are aiming to get 20000 members. In a few years if the membership targets are met, Belmore will not be able to accommodate all our members. So why would people continue to buy memberships if they aren't even assured a spot at the game

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The capacity is 25000. This year we are aiming to get 20000 members. In a few years if the membership targets are met, Belmore will not be able to accommodate all our members. So why would people continue to buy memberships if they aren't even assured a spot at the game
It's not even 25000 now. Under the current NRL requirements, it can only accommodate 15000.

Status
Not open for further replies.