Movies these days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringer

CAR RAMROD
Reaction score
What is going on ? I don't watch that much free to air these days but during the footy shows last night I saw adds for R.I.P.D. and White house down. Is anyone excited to see this crap? reminds me of the south park episode you're getting old.

What was the last movie you saw at the cinemas and you were happy to fork out the the cash?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Every movie these days is about the world going to sh!t and its up to Will Smith, Charlie Hunnam, Brad Pit, Matt Damon etc to save it. Luckily these days there is often a sexy Asian sidekick.

I challenge the studios to make a movie that isn't a:

sequel
prequel
remake/retelling
superhero
based on comic book
animated
about the world going to cr@p....

Anyone?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Every movie these days is about the world going to sh!t and its up to Will Smith, Charlie Hunnam, Brad Pit, Matt Damon etc to save it. Luckily these days there is often a sexy Asian sidekick.

I challenge the studios to make a movie that isn't a:

sequel
prequel
remake/retelling
superhero
based on comic book
animated
about the world going to cr@p....

Anyone?
They do.... no one watches them.

Studios will make anything that gives them a good return. Blame the public for the movies that are being made today.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
They do.... no one watches them.

Studios will make anything that gives them a good return. Blame the public for the movies that are being made today.
You're probably right. I think the studios see the future of movies as "blockbusters"... stuff better suited ot the big screen. People will want to watch a well written and acted movie with a storylione, but they are probably less likely to fork out 20 bucks to see it on the big screen, rather download, wait for DVD etc.

Its funny as in the US at least, TV is where all the creativity is... look at the offerrings from AMC, HBO etc... much better written and done than the pap we see at the movies.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I lost the passion years ago ..... can't justify the money spent going to sit in Gold Class to watch (and eat) C-grade shyte, unless it's for the kids during holidays. Movies are still magical events at that age.

jo7resh

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I lost the passion years ago ..... can't justify the money spent going to sit in Gold Class to watch (and eat) C-grade shyte, unless it's for the kids during holidays. Movies are still magical events at that age.
this is where Dumaresq Street Cinemas or united cinemas are better cheaper or better seating for less price

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Great movies are a thing of past unfortunately. Blockbusters are still rolling through but if you want great quality films go French or Asian tbh

on the very rare occasion a movie like The Wrestler gets made and the story behind it is how much of a struggle it was to actually make, no backers, no distribution... CRAZY

Honestly the best quality US entertainment right now (and over the last 10 years) has been TV (HBO and the like) - The Wire, Deadwood, etc

and even that you'd have to say shows like Luther, Sherlock etc from BBC are better right now...

in saying ALL that, I can't wait for Robocop "dead or alive you're coming with me" hahaha can't wait

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
You're probably right. I think the studios see the future of movies as "blockbusters"... stuff better suited ot the big screen. People will want to watch a well written and acted movie with a storylione, but they are probably less likely to fork out 20 bucks to see it on the big screen, rather download, wait for DVD etc.

Its funny as in the US at least, TV is where all the creativity is... look at the offerrings from AMC, HBO etc... much better written and done than the pap we see at the movies.
Probably should have read this and simply agreed rather than typing my essay :p

Funny you should mention kids, cause aside from TV Drama the next best thing is animation comedies - love them!!

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Best 'blockbuster' of last year IMO was Dredd

It was so simple, it gave a new perspective on high energy blockbusters.

Loved that movie

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
this is where Dumaresq Street Cinemas or united cinemas are better cheaper or better seating for less price
I'm sure that nostalgic smell in that place is toxic, but I don't care ... It's where I go, on the rare occassion I do.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Best 'blockbuster' of last year IMO was Dredd

It was so simple, it gave a new perspective on high energy blockbusters.

Loved that movie
Did Django come out last year? That was pretty good.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, it was last year. Saw it at Blacktown drive in..... Tarantino does his take on a western.... but, alas, it too is a kind of remake (good one at that). True Grit was the other that was done well.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
Yeah, it was last year. Saw it at Blacktown drive in..... Tarantino does his take on a western.... but, alas, it too is a kind of remake (good one at that). True Grit was the other that was done well.
Django was last year but I wouldn't say it was that great, in fact I wouldn't even say it was that good.

Inglorious Bastards >> Django and it was done first, so Django didn't really impress me for that reason

True Grit annoyed me as well, you have the Coen Brothers and Jeff Bridges WHY do a remake movie. Do something original...

Too scared to make original movies anymore, they pick up actors & directors who are sellable (flavour of the month), smack together a nothing script overnight either a sequel or a remake. Sell the sh!t out of it and walk away. That's all Django and True Grit was too me.

the Coyote

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The missus gets free tickets from work , so I get to see a fair amount of movies ....

Just an opinion on some of what I have seen over the past few months....

Pain & Gain .... one of the worst movies I have ever seen , what made it even more crap was that
we had taken 5 under 10 kids from my sons footy team with us.... pretty poor when you consider
it had the Rock and Marky Mark as the main stars.....

The latest X -men - Wolverine movie - predictable

FF6 - was semi watchable up until the worlds longest air strip ... took the plane half an hour to take off...

Pacific Rim - I didn't mind that , my son was a massive power rangers fan, would watch it again ...

I was forced to watch Despicable Me 2 ... and like all the other kids pre-quels...same old crap... =(

yep.... the film industry is pretty much crap these days =(

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Last I went to see was The Lone Ranger.

Was alright, Im bias towards Johnny Depp though.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Didn't they blame any and everyone for the failing of that movie?

Slick

Young Gun
Reaction score
Pain & Gain .... one of the worst movies I have ever seen , what made it even more crap was that
we had taken 5 under 10 kids from my sons footy team with us.... pretty poor when you consider
it had the Rock and Marky Mark as the main stars.....
I liked Pain & Gain... That said, it aint a movie to take under 10's to.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Django was good till they ****ed it's ending up. Lincoln was a good movie if you're into that type of movie. Kick ass 2 was hilarious, but I was high.

Biggest problem I have with movies is the lack of reality movies have during action scenes. As soon as the main character starts doing impossible shit the movie turns to shit.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I'm a big Depp fan. I'd prefer that he keeps challenging himself though. I'm a bit concerned he may go down the path of De Niro, a great actor who did too many Hollywood crap flicks later in his career

Status
Not open for further replies.